Should I or shouldn't I?

7 messages
05/11/2012 at 10:34
Hi all, I'm sat here pondering whether I should run today or not. I've been following the couch to 5k and am on week 4. I was able to run 5k no problem but then my old back injury flared up and I was unable to run for about 5 weeks. So I thought I would start back following the C25k plan for some structure. Anyway, I digress. I'm trying to decided whether I should rest today or run - I've had a relatively full weekend exercise wise and so don't want to overdo it but at the same time don't want to miss a session. Here is what I have done so what do you think? Wednesday - Run (W4R1) Thursday - Rest Friday - Spinning (I go all out in these classes and work as hard as I possibly can and love it!) Saturday - Run (W4R2) Sunday - Spinning (again a hard class. I can feel my quads aching even when sitting down today) On a Tuesday I usually go on a 5mile power walk with a friend (we keep a fast pace and usually complete it in about 45-50minutes) Wednesday is a planned run day, as is Friday. Thursday and Saturday will be rest days and Sunday will be spinning again. (I usually go spinning twice a week but OH is away so I have no childcare). Should I move my run days on a day and rest today or do you think it will be ok to carry on today as planned and wait til Thursday for my rest day?
05/11/2012 at 10:49

Hi Rennie, am sure some more knowledgable fold will be around soon but imho you should follow what your body is saying to you. I too suffer from a recurring lower back problem (op on my L5/L4 10 years ago) and have found cycling/spinning can make it flare up it whilst walking/running can actually help it.

Personally an easy WR should be fine but do remember to have some 'me' time and relax.

05/11/2012 at 10:55
Hi Andi,

Thank you for replying. My back is a weird one, when it flares up I find running (and walking sometimes) is painful but cycling isn't. My physio did explain it to me but I can't remember everything she said.

My little boy is having a nap now so once he's awake and fed, I'll crack on with the run. Thank you.
05/11/2012 at 11:14

Mp Rennie and yes, I guess there are many different back issues, just take things easy and you probably know your limits better than anybody.

05/11/2012 at 20:36
Thanks Andi. I went out this afternoon after my little un woke up. It went ok, although I'd forgotten how much harder it is to run with a pushchair! Especially when running into a headwind.
05/11/2012 at 20:49

hehe that would have been a good workout then and think how much faster you'll run when you don't have a pushchair with you

05/11/2012 at 21:50
That's I'm hoping! Although I had to drop back to week 3 as I found the 5 minute runs really hard with the pushchair. Might have to repeat week 3 runs before going back to week 4 with the pushchair.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.