Should I run 13 miles??!!

First time half marathon.

6 messages
11/09/2002 at 11:15
Ok, here it is! I love running. I started about six months ago in order to try and lose some weight. I've been bitten by the running bug and now try to run four times a week. I have entered the Bristol half marathon, date 22nd Sept. I lost about four weeks training eralier in the year with an injury. Now, ten days from the race, I'm wondering if I can do it! I train to about six miles, three to four times a week at approx 9 min mile pace. My longest run to date has been 9 miles, completed in about 1 hour 25 mins. I felt as if I could have done a little more! I intend to run 11 miles at my next session and then go easy 'till race day. My aim is simply to get round! Advice please!
11/09/2002 at 11:35
Keep on doing as you're doing, Peter. Provided you don't pick up another injury between now and 22nd September, you'll be fine and emerge with a respectable time too.

Don't leave it too close to the race before doing your 11-miler. You ought to be thinking about starting to taper now.

Hope you have a really good race on the day. May the (running) bug be with you!

Cheers, V-rap
11/09/2002 at 11:47
Hi Peter - I'm doing Bristol too and it will be my first 13 miles. I began running in May and tend to run around 6 - 7 miles a few times a week, but my longest run so far is only 10 miles. Like you, I also run about 9 min miles, and while I haven't been injured, I have been too busy (translate: lazy) to train as much lately. I am going to go for it though, and hope for a time under 2 hours, although I suspect I'll be looking more at 2.10 - 2.15. BUT, if I can finish then you can! Good Luck.

Suz
11/09/2002 at 13:49
Yes you can do it, yes your training so far is OK, yes your plans are sensible & will achieve what you want to achieve.

As V-rap says, don't leave the long run too late & ease off ahead of the race (most of us feel nervous we haven't done enough & start thinking about trying to squeeze a bit more in - don't!).

Enjoy the 22nd
04/10/2002 at 21:34
I ran my first half this autumn and was in a similar position. 9 days before the race I got home from work and decided on a whim to run 2 laps of my normal 6.8mile circuit - I stashed a bottle of coke in my hedge for half way (to save me having to stop and go into the house) - ate a couple of jaffa cakes and ran - I'm glad I did it because I went into the race knowing I could do the distance.
04/10/2002 at 22:38
Peter
How did it go?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.