Smoking and Running

16 messages
YKW
04/06/2013 at 07:32

I am a ex-smoker (5 years+) and was thinking .... is it possible to run and still be a smoker?

I have looked through the past smoking threads and they all seem to fall in one of the following camps:

1. I want to stop smoking

2. I stopped smoking and I feel so much better for it

I didn't want this to turn into a "pick on smoking" thread - but I am curious whether people who run still smoke?

04/06/2013 at 10:16

My cousin is a fairly heavy smoker and he is much fitter than me and can run further and faster more effortlessly than I can, though ok this isn't hard really as before November last year I had never done any running of any nature.  He is an ex-soldier and has always kept his fitness level high while being a smoker.  I fall into your number 2 above, quitting about 6 years ago and genuinely feeling so much better for it.

04/06/2013 at 10:41

I gave up smoking last summer, I wasn't exercising much at the time, and only started running in January this year and found that my breathing was quite good and felt great. I had tried to start running a couple of years ago whilst smoking and found it really hard, got out of breathe really quickly and my heart rate was through the roof.

I fell of the non-smoking band wagon in April and started again. The difference in my breathing when running was quite noticeable after a few weeks. Now my heart rate goes up a lot higher when running at the same speeds and my breathing is more laboured.

I gave up again last week so now waiting for the improvement again!

I think that if you have a good level of fitness anyway it may not be such a difference but for someone who is trying to get fit it makes a big difference

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 10:44
04/06/2013 at 11:26

One of my club mates is a smoker.  He recently did his 100th marathon....

04/06/2013 at 11:53

Yes it is possible to smoke and be a runner. It's unusual to see someone light up at a club do but not exactly unheard of. Drinking is bad for you too but they seem to be a lot more inclined to do that. Then again you are a non smoker. You're not going to start again are you?

04/06/2013 at 12:42

I once passed a bloke on about mile 28 of a 35km race and he had just lit up a fag. As a smoker who just doesnt do it anymore and will miss it forever I admit to taking a few lungfuls as I passed him.

04/06/2013 at 12:42

sorry I mean a 52km race

05/06/2013 at 10:19

I cut down over 4 years and now only smoke when I have a drink, so probably 10 or so over a weekend. It will of course have a detrimental effect not only on my running but obviously on my health too. But, I do enjoy both vices after a tough working week so Im happy to balance the two with running and other training. I do however find training on a Monday night harder than a Wed and thats got to be down to the smoking.

Maybe Ill quit if I ever get the motivation to tackle a marathon, right now Im stuck in the 10k and HM zone and have been for a while. If I did quit smoking the fri night drinks would have to go too. Life would become too boring then I think.

YKW
05/06/2013 at 10:29

Thanks all - appreciate the feedback.

Some interesting feedback there.

05/06/2013 at 14:05

I took up running last June and was a smoker until just over two weeks ago, averaging 10 a day generally.

I never really felt like it caused me any particular problems with my running, and I've not noticed a vast improvement since stopping, although admittedly it is still early days. The morning cough has gone but I do sometimes still get a tickly throat at the end of runs. I've never felt like my breathing has been particularly laboured.

I would always keep an eye out for other smokers at club/races but never saw a single one!

05/06/2013 at 14:11

Carry on smoking then. We need the tax.

06/06/2013 at 13:04

Haha there is that! But my bank balance also needs the money for shiny new running shoes.

06/06/2013 at 22:45

The weirdest thing I think I've seen was a guy who, after finishing a half mara, picked up his bag, took a drink of water, and then lit up a fag.  Made me do a double-take

06/06/2013 at 23:46

Did my first marathon in 2011 sub 3 and first thing I did after finishing was light a cig. I'd been smoking 20 years.

Dont smoke anymore (quit Dec 2011) and have knocked a chunk off all my PBs in the process but that s due mainly to more intensive training, not solely being smoke free.

I do currently work for a cigarette company though!

07/06/2013 at 01:29

One of the guys in my running club was a smoker, he had a very noticeable smoker's cough and was very slow up hills.

I'm an ex-smoker, gave up 4 yrs ago (this time) - my lung capacity has increased once again, I don't miss it at all.

I don't think sports and smoking combine well though.

07/06/2013 at 06:56

I was kinda hoping that running would persuade me to give up. It hasn't. 45 and been running 4 years. Into double figures for mara's. slowed to have a fag about 32 miles into a 40 miler last year. It's not big and it's not clever kids. 

It's gonna catch up with me one day......  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
16 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.