Some inspiration please

Need to get started again

13 messages
28/10/2002 at 07:04
Holidays really do seem to be a killer. I'd only just started to run and was determined to continue on holiday in Portugal (late September). Thought if I went earlyish in the morning it might not be too bad - went the first time and this huge dog bounded toward me barking and spitting and that was that for the holiday running. Unfortunately, it seems that was that for running. I just can't get back into it. I bought Bob Glover's Running Handbook which is brilliant but I just keep coming up with fantastic reasons why I can't step out the door - obviously I need waterproof tracksters, its a bit chilly/blowing a gale etc, etc. Any help at all would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
28/10/2002 at 08:24
Clariss; others have said that they find it helpful to look forward to a 'reward' when they come back, so that may help. For me, three things work: running with someone else, so that if I don't go, I'm letting them down; remembering how much better I feel afterwards, even if getting out of the door is like pulling teeth; reminding myself that I can eat much more food yet look much more toned if I run! Go on girl. Just do it!
28/10/2002 at 08:32
clariss, what seems to work for me is making the decision to go running when i'm not about to do it, for example when I'm at work I often decide I'll go running when I get home - it doesn't seem hard when you don't actually have to do it right now! Then when I get home I rush in, get changed and get out of the house again before I have a chance to change my mind! I think it works because I like the IDEA of going running most of the time, but if I actually have to do it right now then the excuses start flowing....
also having a goal has helped me, I actually got out of bed on Saturday morning for a 6 miler in the wind and rain, because I want to do well in my next race in November - try signing up for a couple of races in the next few months.
28/10/2002 at 08:41
Hi Clariss - fitgit's idea is a good one, and it's what I often do when I feel the excuses starting...when I get home from work I feed the cat then hit the road. My other strategy is self-bribery: when I first ran 20 minutes a few weeks ago, I rewarded myself with a nice fleecy running top. I'm now planning my 30 minute reward, which I hope I'll earn in a couple of weeks...good luck!
28/10/2002 at 14:32
Enter a race I ran miles for years and then just stopped so a friend suggested entering a race and the thought of not managing the distance really acted as agreat motivator.
28/10/2002 at 16:58
Thank you all so much - looks like having something to aim for is the key. Think I'll look for a 5k early in the New Year - maybe I could ask for new gear for Xmas?!
28/10/2002 at 19:22
Hi Clariss,

I'm with Freaky - the thought of not going the distance is the best motivator.

It's actually the only thing that keeps me in the gym and not in the pub!

CT
The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/10/2002 at 20:12
running gear for xmas great idea!
I mean you want to run good as well as look good so another good excuse to get out!
or enter a silly race! I mean I satrted running 3mths ago nad I'm doing the reading half in march so I HAVE to keep going!
28/10/2002 at 21:32
Clariss!
Go for a run or I'll come round and give you a Chinese burn!
A bad one!
The Evil Pixie    pirate
28/10/2002 at 22:14
another way to keep going is to have someone else challenge you! I speak to Benz over on the Fat Club thread cos neither of us are twiggy and she has said she will trag me arround reading!
Also once you get hocked to this forum you may find there is no escape!
there is about 60 of us doing a 10K on Brighton sea front 17/11 ... there is still time to enter if you wish to join us!
28/10/2002 at 22:37
There Is no escape EP
IM WATCHING YOUUUUU
The Evil Pixie    pirate
29/10/2002 at 06:08
See what I mean!
Welcome to teh wonderful word of teh RW forums!
You'll get as much help, advice and inspiration as you can handle here!
Good luck!
Now I'm off for that run Benz honest!
30/10/2002 at 07:39
EP
I would love to join you in Brighton but I think I may be pushing it a bit to go from couch potato to 10k in 3 weeks! Can you give me a bit more advance warning for another one? Think I might join a club - there's one fairly local to me but I'm not sure how novice they take people!! Thanks for your support.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
13 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.