Sore shins

6 messages
29/08/2012 at 21:49
Hi all- I'm new to running; am following a couch to 5k program and on week 3. My shins are so sore it hurts to stand! I don't think it's shin splints (I was a gymnast for 20 years and have had my fair share of those!). I do NOT run on my heels, and alternate between barefoot runs on a foam floor and outside trails runs. So, besides icing after the fact any preventive measures? I know tons of stretches but have never thought of shins!
30/08/2012 at 02:02

'I'm new to running' - thats why your shins hurt. nothing to worry about, its a good sighn that you've been working hard. these pains will gradually go on there own untill one day you won't even notice it.

30/08/2012 at 05:44
I'm not that new to running, This is just the first time I'm following any kind of structured running "program".
I could regularly run 2 miles without a problem. This pain is something new
30/08/2012 at 12:57

It might be worth investing a foam roller, and perhaps some compression socks or calf guards. Def. icing, just as you would for gymnastics shin issues. Even if you aren't heel striking, you may be propricepting the floor before you land, which wouldn't be uncommon if you've come from a background of short sprints or gym, as presumably propreception is pretty important to spot your take-offs.

30/08/2012 at 13:06

Well done on getting off the couch! I suffer with my chins occasionally so do a few exercises before and after a run. I use these: http://foothealth.about.com/od/exercisefeet/ss/ShinSplintExerc.htm

Hope they help!

31/08/2012 at 10:44

If you could regulary run 2 miles, why were you doing a C25K?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.