17/08/2011 at 12:55

Thank you for your replys,  I hope as i get fitter the need spit will lesson,

All i can say is look out Usain Bolt lol,

Thanx again

Kel x

17/08/2011 at 16:03
sounds like you don't need any lessons
17/08/2011 at 18:39

Kelly - given then choice between spitting (and possibly offending someone) or choking, then I choose the latter. Actually, I nearly gagged a few weeks ago when a big insect went in my mouth and I could neither swallow it or get it back out - I just knew it was there on the back of my throat and as i was in a race at the time and finding breathing hard anyway, I really struggled.

So sometimes we have no choice but to spit or even snot-rocket. When i do, I always ensure that I'm not going to hit anyone and I try to do it in such a was as to be less visble (not because I'm embarassed, just to avoid the chance of being offensive). e.g. wait until a car goes past, not right in front of the people walking towards me etc.

Just a bit of common sense. above all, hard running needs good respiration and unfortunately, you do get stuff in your mouth, nose and throat which impedes that.

I would bring a hankie on my runs but I don't have any nice sleeves to tuck them in

17/08/2011 at 19:29
A good hefty snot rocket is one of the joys if running
17/08/2011 at 19:30
You're not a "proper" runner if you dont snot rocket
4x4
22/09/2011 at 09:24

I think spitting is fine if it is impairing your breathing pattern. I don't feel the need to snot rocket unless I am at my Yoga class and we are doing a lot of upside down stuff! I'll leave that to your imagination.

22/09/2011 at 09:46
Trouble is with spitting and snot-rockets, even if they don't disgust you (they do me - I can't even watch footie on tv because of the close-ups) is that if you're at the back of the pack in a big race, it can get like an ice rink. 'Cept it's not ice.
22/09/2011 at 09:47
I have done both but try to make sure nobody can see me. I wouldn't do it in front of anyone.
22/09/2011 at 11:48
I'm more off a snot rocketer myslef - which the wife deplores.
Edited: 22/09/2011 at 11:55
22/09/2011 at 11:54

What a bunch of uptight people!  I have to spit when I run as I get quite a bit of snot/mucus build-up.  It's a free country and I don't spit on anyone, maybe into a bush or whatever.

Agreed with people just randomly spitting in the street, but I'm doing it because otherwise I can't breathe properly.

22/09/2011 at 13:08

I think it's down to where you are at the time and who's around. I don't spit in the street, but then neither do I go for a pee, a poo, or lie down and have a little sleep. All of these are perfectly acceptable up a mountainin my book, but perhaps not in the High Street.

I sometimes spit when I'm running on trails when there's no-one around. When I used to road run I just suffered as I don't like the idea of anyone seeing me.

But I was surprised at the OP's original question: is it ok for girls to spit. If women set up barriers for themselves, we'll never get anywhere! *steps off soapbox*

The blokes I run and cycle with all spit regularly. The first time I had to spit in front of them there were comments that girls spitting is disgusting. How sexist is that?
Unfortunately I can't snot rocket as it would have been the perfect time to let out a blinder. You think that's disgusting? Try this for size!

22/09/2011 at 13:34

I hate spitting normally but I will admit to having a bit of a spit on a run. I always have a good look round and make sure theres no one around and no cars coming.

A massive fly went in my mouth the other day at running club so I spat in the hedge, more as a reaction and to get the bloody thing out to be honest!! The others asked if I was ok and I explained what happened but I did feel very embarrased about spitting in front of them. Every time I go now I feel like I should keep saying "I don't normally spit!!! I'm not dirty!!"

22/09/2011 at 13:35
I'm a girl btw
22/09/2011 at 13:38

Good to the sensible posters have come in at the end.

Spit if you need to - use discretion. Usually only happens to me if i have a cold, usually you get a dry mouth from running and don't need to anyway!!

22/09/2011 at 13:47
I don't think ladies should spit. Especially pretty ones. It looks indecorous.
22/09/2011 at 15:44
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)
I don't think ladies should spit. Especially pretty ones. It looks indecorous.

Why should anyone care what you think?

If I spit when I run and someone takes offense, I couldn't give a flying f**k in all honesty.

Edited: 22/09/2011 at 15:45
25/02/2013 at 21:33
Speaking of which...

http://borntoplod.wordpress.com/2013/02/25/the-snot-rocket-diaries/
25/02/2013 at 22:14
I hate it, it's a filthy habit... That I cannot stop doing in my training runs.

Thankfully I only seem to do it on my own, so have managed not to spit on anyone else!!!

It happens less then it used to but on some runs a girl just has to do what a girl has to do... Spit a lot
26/02/2013 at 14:56

I think its a dirty habit that has crept into society and totally unacceptable. If most peeps don't do it when in company and in front of anyone and can wait until there is no one looking,  then there is no obvious need to do it at all. 

I am personally disgusted by the amount of gob which is spat everywhere. I have been running with a stinking cold and runny nose and just bring a handful of tissues 

I suppose its a bit like farting! Do you let go in company? then again that's a whole new debate...

26/02/2013 at 15:05

Do peeps spit on the treadmill in the gym...?

Then again I suppose real runners don't use treadmills

Edited: 26/02/2013 at 15:06
21 to 40 of 58 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.