Spitting??

Is it ok for girls to spit when running

1 to 20 of 59 messages
16/08/2011 at 16:29

I have just started running, (well jogging some would say)

For some reason when i was on my run, I keep needing to spit (Sorry for being gross)

Is this normal? I know a lot of men spit, But not seen any girls/ladys spit.

Please help

Had a problem with a runny nose as well, (but to gross to go into that) 

Kel x 

16/08/2011 at 16:45
No. It's never acceptable to anyone, neither men nor women, to spit.
16/08/2011 at 17:20
I don't spit- but don't tend to feel the need. I do however also get runny nose issues- after about 2 miles I start needing to blow my nose, to get round it I always carry a hanky with me. It's quite easy to adjust to blowing on the run, find it forces me to take a deep breath every now and again too- got to try to turn these annoyances into positives
16/08/2011 at 17:22

Thanx for your reply, i'm with you on that,

I didn't spit, Just wanted to know, am i ill or is "needing to spit" normal.

Kel x

16/08/2011 at 17:39
Spitting is perfectly fine while running. Needing to spit is normal and if done with a bit of discretion is OK. Only really uptight people could get annoyed. Failure to clear can impair your breathing.
16/08/2011 at 17:55
I spit when i run to clear my throat / mouth out, it can also tell you if you getting a bit dehydrated as the spit be thick and sticky, thats fun when it springs back in your face lol. I dont see anything wrong while spitting on a run, the only time i have a problem with it is when hoodies spit for no reason.
pmo
16/08/2011 at 18:00
The runny nose thing is Exercise Induced Rhinitis - its similar to hay fever it seems. Snot rocketing is seen as acceptable (as far as Im aware) so spitting shouldn't be that gross for runners....
pmo
16/08/2011 at 18:13

I don't see that it's OK for runners to spit, but not "hoodies"

If you think spitting is OK, then surely spitting is OK for everyone, not just people you approve of.

pmo
16/08/2011 at 18:18
For me it's a question of where, rather than who. Into bushes etc. fine, on people not so good
pmo
16/08/2011 at 19:14
I think what you need to ask is how do you feel when people spit... It is all down to personal preference but I say not.

Perhaps carry a tissue so you can put in nearest bin...

Bit of a grey area, there was and article in rw about this too.
16/08/2011 at 19:37
How about snot rockets?
16/08/2011 at 19:50
Wilkie wrote (see)

If you think spitting is OK, then surely spitting is OK for everyone, not just people you approve of.

Agreed. I don't feel the need to spit when running so perhaps I don't understand, but I think it's gross, and I'm sure some men seem to do it as some weird runners status symbol.

I saw a bus driver gob out his window the other day and it really annoyed me. OK, it didn't go in anyone's face, but I bet he'd have rightly gone mental if someone had gobbed at his little perspex window. 

16/08/2011 at 21:56
Yikes! I spit and snot rocket when I run, but then again I only run trail, so there's never anyone else around. Maybe there's a different etiquette for road running...
16/08/2011 at 22:17
You naughty little sossidge!
16/08/2011 at 22:29
I dont seem to need to spit too much thankfully but on the odd occasion that I have its been into a bush and when noone is around, Id be utterly mortified if anyone saw me!
17/08/2011 at 09:29
Wilkie wrote (see)

Agreed.  I hate to see any sex spitting I think its disgusting

17/08/2011 at 09:35
I only spit if i really need to. I've tried using a tissue but it ends up all soggy and a complete mess. I've ever had one comment and that was from my mum
17/08/2011 at 09:43
Booey wrote (see)
Wilkie wrote (see)

Agreed.  I hate to see any sex spitting I think its disgusting

Agreed I think you should always swallow
seren nos    pirate
17/08/2011 at 10:06
Wilkie wrote (see)

agree
17/08/2011 at 10:09
I do swallow  so cant possibly be an uptight person
1 to 20 of 59 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.