Sports Bras or just integral to trisuit

4 messages
13/07/2012 at 15:02

I am new to triathlon, but individual elements of training going well. I have two questions.

Firstly is the integral bra within some trisuits sufficient for the run (I am quite busty and my recent measurement for a Berlei sports bra suggested I was a 38DD - quite a shock).  I don't really want to wear a sports bra swimming and then have it wet, cold and chafing for the bike/run section. Likewise, don't really want to be having to add it (not very discretely) during a transition. Any thoughts?

Also, currently only training on exercise bike as don't even own a bike, given up to rust many years ago. I know the postures are very different, so do need to start doing outdoor training. I also know that racing/road bike different from special triathlon bike, but don't really want to be spending a fortune. Should I just go for a road bike and alter seat angle/get handlebar adjustments. Any ideas where to get good 2nd hand/cheap new bikes. Thanks

13/07/2012 at 20:57

I am bigger than you but even at a DD cup I would be wearing a sprts bra under the tri top - I doubt the integral thing is enought to keep you comfortable.  You get used to it and I find the bra dries out on the bike.  I don't get any chaffing doing that but then chaffing isn't something I have been prone to so far

Starting out in tri - get a road bike you can afford and feels comfortable - and test ride it - any bike shop worth visiting will let you either test ride in some capacity.  My first road bike happens to be a tri bike but thats because it felt the best out of five I test rode.  I vwas lucky enough to live somewhere with several decent bike shops at the time so was able totest ride a few

13/07/2012 at 22:45
Thank you. Interesting that you say a wet bra doesn't cause you problems. Will have to try it out when I start combining the elements of my training. Still focussing on individual components so far. Will bike to my pool, swim then run back (wrong order I know but combines commuting to/from pool with the training!)

I too have a couple of good bike shops (might leave the likes of Halfords!) so will pay them a visit. Thanks for input.
13/07/2012 at 23:50

I get by with just the integral bra in the tri-suits, but then I'm a AA cup. Wouldn't like to try it with larger boobs! Don't imagine a wet sports bra would be any more uncomfortable than a wet tri-suit to run in, and most girls of ample boobage that I spoke to at the two triathlons I've done said they wear the sports bra underneath right from the start. A couple said they wear the crop-top style compression ones and pull them on over the top of their tri-suit in T2.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.