Start Running

4 messages
28/07/2010 at 16:14
Hi there

I have just started running. My goal is to complete the Hell Run this November. I find it easy to work on something if i set i goal, even if this does sound to ambitious.

Anyway my program is to run every other day and after every week I was going to add a half a mile or a mile. I have started my first week running 2 miles which i find relatively easy. I'm based around the mendips so I will be running in the country which i enjoy as it gives me a mixture of terrain and hills.

Is this a good start? And also what can I do to improve on this?

Thanks
28/07/2010 at 16:24

this helped me a lot

http://www.runnersworld.co.uk/beginners/get-started-schedules/30.html

28/07/2010 at 16:35

i think when you first start to run only increase weekly mileage by 10%

28/07/2010 at 17:07

Hi Luke - the 10% rule is a good one but it is written as a general guideline to cover the entire spectrum of running abilities. The key to getting the right balance between training intensity and likelihood of getting a training stress injury.... is speed of recovery.

This is a variable factor - depends on age, general health, quality of sleep/ diet/ life stress, genetics. So ultimately, 10% is a guide. Only you can really judge what is the right balance for you. Most people learn this by training too much and getting injured. But if you are careful to listen to aches and pains in your bodies and be flexible with training, you can avoid injury.

If you are younger than 28 years or so, you can probably take more risks (i.e. steeper training ramp up) than older runners.

Also, around 80% of your running training should be done at a pace where you can just about sustain a conversation, speaking in almost complete sentences. 20% of your running should be harder than that. If you intersperse easier sessions with harder ('quality') sessions, you should also recover better, so your body is able to accept a new training stress.

One other bit of sound advice, is not to steadily increase training stress (either faster speed or longer distances). Your training should ideally be in steps. So you introduce a new stress, take a few weeks for it to become easy (your body completes an adaptation to the stress), then you increase again.

HTH and good luck, TD.

Edited: 28/07/2010 at 17:08

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.