Started 8 wk beginner's schedule today

Any other newbies want to join my thread?

621 to 640 of 673 messages
31/03/2012 at 21:08

Hi Everyone! Remember me? Just a quickie to let you know that I've just been for a run!!!! First one in AGES! Went out the door aiming to run for 5 mins before having a walk break, but managed 8mins, then 2 mins walk, then 5 mins. Did 2.16K in 15mins altogether. Felt like could have done a bit more possibly but don't want to overdo it and hurt myself, plus started to feel a bit wobbly. Anyway, it's a start! Thinking about doing the 5K race for life in Norwich in May. Need a goal I think.

Just had a very quick scan of this page and saw that your 10K is off Secret Agent. Sorry that you're not very well, hope you get over it quickly and are able to get running again soon. But yes, most important thing is to rest and recover fully. 

Will have another more in depth read now to see what I've been missing! Glad to see you're all still around and haven't been slacking like me! 

xxx

dfm
01/04/2012 at 09:11
Just completed week 3. I am considering doing another week 3 run though as I think I might have only done 5 lots of running when I did my Friday run. Today I definitely had to fight to complete the last run.

What does everyone think?

Also on my last two runs I have drank as glass of water before heading out and had stitch both times so I might stop doing it. On a positive note it was great getting up this early running in lovely sunshine along quiet streets- even said good morning to another runner!
01/04/2012 at 09:23

Morning everyone 

Cheetah – loving the Mexican wave, thank you.  You’re putting us all to shame with the amount of running you are doing.  Well done on your 10:02m/m.  I would be very happy with a timing like that and you’ve certainly put all the hard work in.  I have this idea that I will get out on a Sunday morning, especially a lovely sunny day like today, but it never happens following Saturday night drinks!

Snails – sounds like you had a good run.  Are you doing the Bridge to 10K schedule? 

Minty – good to hear you’ve been out and getting back into it.  A goal like a 5K does sound a good idea to help keep you motivated.

Norfolklass – Hope the knees are behaving and you are having pain free runs.

Ma’amy – keep up the walking.  Hopefully we’ve got some nice long warm days to look forward to which always make a walk more enjoyable.

Well, I’ve had a bit of a setback this week and not done any running.  I got a very nasty insect bite on my face which caused a bad infection and made it swell like a balloon.  A trip to A&E and a load of medication has thankfully sorted it out but I didn’t feel good for a few days and only just got back to looking ‘normal’ again.  In the meantime, I’ve been looking for a new plan to start and still undecided so may just make my own up and keep adding a few minutes on each week until I can run 5K and then probably start the Bridge to 10k schedule.

Have a good week everyone.

03/04/2012 at 20:40

Hi All, just a quick check in to say that I went for another run this evening. Again, just a short one but I'm just focussing on getting out the door at the moment! So that's a start! I did the same route round the block, just 2.16K but a bit quicker than the other day.

Sorry it's short! xxx

04/04/2012 at 20:21

Quick one from me tonight too - does anyone remember when I was trying to avaoid going to the Wednesday running group as they did something called "hill repeats"..?

Well, tonight I successfully did the hill repeat session - I ran up the hill twice at the beginning and twice at the end, not bad to say I'm still coughing up a hairball! 10:10m/m so not as fast as normally on a Wednesday but I'm ill and they were hills!

04/04/2012 at 21:54

Hi All

Its been absolutely ages since I've been on this forum - I joined the beginners forum and then there was lots of talk of 10ks and half marathons and it put me off a little.

I have been a 'beginner' for a couple of years now and been part of a ladies only running club.  I am a very slow runner and very jealous of you managing the 10m/m! 

I can't seem to break the 12 min mile.

Hubby now thinks I am having a mid life crisis - I am entering 5k and 10ks all across Lancashire!

I've recently made myself go to the 'proper' club on a Thursday evening where they concentrate on distance - the Wednesday one I go to is more of a social event really.

Anyway, enough of me rabbitting on - hopefully I'll have chance to visit this forum more often -  I could do with sharing my progress with someone!!! 

06/04/2012 at 12:20
A very quick post from me, will have a proper read and catch up later. Just back from a run and had to share I set off as normal, still persevering with the midfoot strike which seems to be going ok, although I'm still getting knee pain my calves seem to have adjusted and aren't quite so achey.

Anyway, my knee started to feel pre-hurty at about 4k - here we go again So I turned off the Garmin, took off my running shoes and socks, and had a go at running barefoot. And it was AMAZING! I'm always barefoot at home so I like to think my feet are pretty tough. I found a bit of trail that was mostly free of stones, when I reached the stoney bit I had to put my trainers back on as it was far too painful to walk never mind run, but then I reached pavement and took them off again, and I loved it It did make the arches of my feet ache a little, and after about 2k my calves were starting to seriously protest, but I'm converted. Think I might even invest in some of those weird Vibram five toes that make you look like some kind of weird amphibian! Sadly the people who live in the neighbourhood don't clear up after their dogs so barefoot would be pretty unpleasant.

Here's to running like the Tarahumara!
07/04/2012 at 22:13

Welcome to the thread tlwoods!

Minty - well done on the running, I thought I was going to have to come and chase you, and I'd be worn out then especially after chasing Ma'amy too! 

Secret Agent - hope your chest is feeling better, mine has cleared a bit now and it hurts less to cough - I'm producing some interesting fluorescent plegm now too, better out than in I say! Sorry to hear your 10k has been called off

Ellie - the Saturday night drinks are entirely to blame for the fact that I schedule my "slow crap run"  for a Sunday! I'm planning another one on Monday this week instead of my long run hehe! That bite sounds nasty - I think I'm either lucky or particularly horrible tasting as nothing ever seems to bite me - glad you are now looking normal again, sounds like a bad reaction.

Norfolklass - your barefoot running sounds great! I am really intrigued by those shoes with toes in! I STILL haven't seen the running club bloke in them again (think I've seen the same bloke, just not in toe-shoes!). I don't think I'd be able to wear them as I have a bunion and weird overlapping toes on one foot, or I'd be very tempted to try them myself! 

I've had a couple of days off running to see if my chest would clear a bit more - then I got bored of waiting and did 8.37 miles this afternoon - it was a bit strange running on a Saturday, and even stranger so early in the day - but I managed 10:23m/m despite stopping to stroke a cat without pausing the Garmin.

In other news - I HAVE A NEW CAR!!!!!!! And it's ALL MINE, and Mr Cheetah is only allowed to drive it if he's very nice to me! It's a Black Ford KA ('08 reg) and his name is Road Mog. He should be with me next weekend after a couple of paint touch-ups (he's parked outside my mum's at the moment!), and it's just what I need to get loads of driving practice in so I can book my test.  Can't wait!

Hoefully the link still works now it's been sold (to me!) - this is Road Mog!

Hope everyone else is healthy, injury free, and enjoying running! xx

Edited: 07/04/2012 at 22:32
13/04/2012 at 12:38
Another quick update. Hope you're all well, and various injuries/chest infections are on the way out. My running has dropped off to once a week - mainly due to my gippy knee and applying for a new job so lots of late nights doing application form, updating CV and portfolio - but i'm determined to get back to three times a week.

Went for a run this morning, managed 6k in trainers with slight knee pain but in the left knee, right knee was absolutely fine. Then took off my trainers and did 3k barefoot, which seemed to sort out the knee pain but is still hard on my calf muscles and the arches of my feet. But providing you find some nice smooth pavement it feels fantastic! I'd forgotten that I landed on a stone last time until I clocked the purple bruise on the sole of my foot, but I'd rather have that than persistent knee problems.

Still not sure I'm going to be able to do the half marathon next month which is a real shame, but I think I'd rather not enter at all than end up properly injured and unable to finish it.

And I was planning to head to the allotment this afternoon and get my spuds in but it's just started to pour with rain, so guess I'll do some housework instead

Congrats on the loverly new car Cheetah! Have you got a test date yet? Exciting!!!
dfm
13/04/2012 at 19:20
Just completed the first run of week 4 although having just checked I got it wrong.

Any I did 5 lots of running for 5 mins and walking for 1 min between runs.

I didn't think I'd manage it as my last run was over a week ago but it has renewed my enthusiasm for completing the 8 week plan

Hope everyone else is doing OK.
14/04/2012 at 19:28

Hi all,

Norfolklass, the barefoot running sounds like its having a positive effect on your knee problems, keep adding a bit in here and there, and let us all know how it progresses.

Cheetah, I had some "interesting colours" as well. All gone now, and I started back running this week. Tuesday was a total mess, couldnt set a pace to save my life, kept speeding up, slowing down, walking etc.
Thursday was 4k in the 'mill, and a 5k on the 'mill today.
Going back to club run on Monday, that will be a good test to see if my lungs have properly recoverd or not.

Contemplating going to the thursday efforts session with the club. All designed to help improve speed.
Will see how I get on on Monday first, and have a chat with the group leader to see if i'm ready for it or not.

Happy running peeps.

15/04/2012 at 11:09
Hello again, another quick update on the whole barefoot thing... Just back from 8k (5.5k in shoes, 2.5k barefoot). Right knee still behaving, left knee twinging for pretty much all of the first 5.5k in shoes. But as soon as I took them off and started running barefoot my knee pain completely disappeared and didn't come back. Calf muscles and arches of feet still aching but in a good way. Think I'm definitely going to start saving my pennies for a pair of Vibrams!

dfm, well done! Stick with it, think how smug you'll feel when you've completed the plan!

SA, glad your chest infection has cleared, don't overdo it though! Hope tomorrow goes well for you - how are your knee problems these days?

RoadRunner, if you're still reading this thread, how's it going with the physio?

Happy running everyone! x
17/04/2012 at 20:55

Norfolklass,  Knee problems are more or less negligable at the moment, just trying to be sensible and not go over the top and try to do too much.

The club run went OK, approx 4 miles in around 34 minutes, though did feel it a bit in the chest muscles. The breathing itself was OK.
Did a lunch run today with a couple of guys from work. They're training for the tough mudder assault course/run in 4 weeks time, and I was a bit unsure just how far/fast they were going to be running.
Needn't have worried though, as my pace was inbetween theirs, so worked out OK.
Ran 5.2 miles in 45.06, which is 8.40 pace.

Will be trying the efforts session with the club on Thursday evening.

dfm, keep going with the program, it seems tough sometimes, dont want to run or life just gets in the way but its very satisfying when you reach each milestone, be it the first time you run 10 mins non stop or your first 5k

Cheetah,  you booked your test yet?

18/04/2012 at 21:24
Hi
Very quick one for me as my computer is poorly and I'm borrowing Mr Cheetah's posh one in the office!
I had a few days off running as I've still been coughing up a hairball (made up for it by doing lots of driving though! Not booked that test yet but having my own car has given me a major confidence boost!).
Then I got bored of NOT running and did 11.01 miles on Monday - followed by 2.04 miles on Tuesday morning (instead of my cross trainer workout - running seems a bit easier on my chest somehow), followed by another 2.08 miles THIS morning (it's not easy before my coffee but I tend to have woken up a bit by the 2nd mile)- then 5.15 miles along the river with the running club tonight.
I've nearly got enough loyalty stamps from the running club for my free pair of trainers and entry to an event of my choice - so I'm going to go for the Robin Hood Half marathon in September!

Hope everyone is running well - I better go before Mr Cheetah wants his PC back! (his keyboard is weird anyway hehe!)
18/04/2012 at 23:52

Hi Norfolklass - here's what I posted in the other thread:

RoadRunner76 wrote (see)

Salutations, all!

It's been a most annoying few weeks - my PC went down, and after I got that sorted out, the RAM (memory) got corrupted so I sent it back to the manufacturer and the RMA process took a long time as well.  I could've bought more instead, but the type of memory I need would've cost £50. 

Now back up and running properly, thank God!

Anyway: update - I went to the physio and after checking me over, he had me do a squat, which hurt my knee.  Then he said he was going to 'do something' to my knee - and he moved it around a bit and had me do another squat, which felt OK.  The physio gave me some exercises to do and said I could only run for six minutes, and only on grass, so I've got to traipse all the way to the local common, run for six minutes, then traipse back home.  Oh well.  If that's what the doc says to get it better, then that's what I'll do until he says otherwise.  Next appointment's on the 27th.  I think the knee feels a bit better, so hopefully he'll say I can increase the distance after the next appointment.  I can't remember exactly what he said was wrong with the knee, I'll ask him again when I see him.

Hope everyone's doing OK.

20/04/2012 at 11:11

Hi all,

Roadrunner, hope the knee issue resolves itself soon mate. The bit where you said you couldnt remember what he said was wrong with it made me think of the line "its fucked" and then thought of the billy connolly sketch which contains this line

"Well, Mr McBumfurtey, I've given you every possible examination, I've thumbed through every one of these copious volumes, and given you an electrocardiograph test. I've come to the conclusion that, in the words of the great Hippocrates himself, your heart's fucked."

The chap was then sent off to the infirmary who had just taken possesion of a "de-fuck-ulator"!

Would be interesting to see what happens if you went back to the physio and asked for that particular bit of equipment to be used on your knee 

Seriuosly though, hope it all heals soon.

Went to the club efforts session last night, with good and bad results, good because it was a good workout, and bad because I went off way too fast and couldn't maintain an even amount of effort through the session.
After a 5 minute run down to a local park with hard surface paths because of all the rain, we were supposed to run  at a pace a bit faster than your normal pace and then slow down for a breather/recovery at a rate of 4/2 minutes repeating the 4 min effort 5 times in total, a bit like a stepped up run/walk program.
I was way to fast for the first 2 efforts and really struggled to finish the session, ending up just managing to run the last 4 minutes at my normal pace.
Finished off with a slow run back to the sportspark.

Next time i'll have a much better idea how to run it to get the maximum benefit from the session.

Edited: 20/04/2012 at 11:12
20/04/2012 at 14:49
Had a major tweak in the knee as I was going up the stairs yesterday - I hope that doesn't mean the damn thing has got worse again! 
22/04/2012 at 20:50

Quick one tonight, gotta get the ironing board out!

parkrun yesterday in 25.35, club run tomorrow

More rain forecast for tomorrow PM, oh joy!

23/04/2012 at 20:58
Another quick post from me. Glad to hear everyone else is doing OK. Cheetah, congrats on new road mog! RoadRunner, hope the knee hasn't tweaked again? Secret Agent, great parkrun time, I still haven't been.

Ran another 5k on Friday morning, had a few twinges from both knees annoyingly. Managed it in 32:35 which was considerably better than I was expecting. Anyway, the continuing knee issues helped me to decide to splash out on a pair of Vibrams FiveFingers. EXCITED!!! They should arrive this week so I'll let you know how I get on with them. I watched some of the VLM yesterday and they showed a guy running barefoot - he crossed the line at about 4 hours 20 mins, not bad going!

Have also been to Holland & Barrett and bought glucosamine + chondroitin and cod liver oil. My knees WILL behave themselves...

Happy running in the rain!
25/04/2012 at 22:50

Hello all,

Norfolk lass, you got your new running shoes yet?
Interested to hear how you get on with them.

Did another 5mile + run with the club on Monday night, felt quite good, but legs a bit stiff yesterday so ditched my planned run and went this morning instead.
Ran 5k in 25.44 but can knock off a 1.01 for time stuck at the level crossing, which is 24.43, my fastest 5k time so far. Wasn't trying to set a good time, just a training run that went rather well!
Club effort session tomorrow night.

Have registered for the Breckland 10k on bank holiday monday, organised by Thetford AC

Happy running people, get out there and do it, or at least tell us about it.
Get well soon to the peg legs on the subs bench.

621 to 640 of 673 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.