Started 8 wk beginner's schedule today

Any other newbies want to join my thread?

81 to 100 of 673 messages
09/07/2011 at 21:42

Evening!

I finally did my run today at about 3pm - well MOST of it anyway! About 14 minutes in I started feeling a bit sick (must be the beers last night....) but kept on going and it passed - it's gone all hot again though so it was really uncomfortable. Then - at about 17 minutes - RAIN!!!!! It was lovely - but it didn't last long and I ended up with the sun blazing in my face, then my leg started hurting.... and after 25 minutes I decided that because it was hot that was equivalent to 30mins running, and I don't want an injury, and I can always go on the cross trainer tomorrow! 

I'm more proud of my driving accomplishment - I drove us to a retail park, then home from the supermarket - and I didn't stall this time! OH looked slightly less pale than he did last week too!

Good luck with your run tomorrow norfolklass! My turquoise bra SHOULD  have come today, actually it DID, but I forgot I'd arranged redelivery and forgot to turn the doorbell on I'd prefer a black one but I couldn't find any cheap enough on ebay!

Snails - good luck with braving the streets tomorow, they'll be a lot safer than they were today with ME on the road hehe! I'm with you on the complex training plans, all I want to do is be able to run, not work out complicated mathematical equations at the same time.... (I've only got one speed anyway so it would be pointless lol) 

I'm not quite sure where I'm going from here, it's a two mile run with the running club on Monday so a bit less than I've been doing - I might just keep doing the 30 min runs for the rest of next week and hope it isn't too hot! 

11/07/2011 at 00:23
Hi all, a quick post before bed! Last 25 min run tomorrow morning but kind of dreading it. I think maybe 25 mins on Thursday/Saturday/Monday might be too close together, but we'll see how tomorrow goes. Think I might have had a touch of shin splints after yesterday's run, really sore tight feeling in the front inside of my left shin which has only really eased today. I'm not sure if it's running for 25 mins non-stop or running on pavements. I'd like to stay running on grass but need to find a bigger park! I still find the first 5 mins really hard going and only really settle into a rhythm after about 10 mins. The middle third is actually pretty enjoyable, then the last third is sheer bloody mindedness and determination not to slow down to a walk. Really looking forward to the whole run being more enjoyable!!

Snails - thanks very much for that link, I'd googled a few but like you couldn't understand some of the plans I'd found. (Still have no idea what fartlek and intervals and tapering are!) I think the walking bit in between will make quite a bit of difference, my only worry is that once I've stopped running I won't be able to start again. How do you find that?

Cheetah - mid-afternoon is definitely NOT the best time to run! And far better to stop than carry on and pick up an injury. And congrats on the driving progress - have you thought about a date for your test yet? (Bad news re the sports bra: I tried it on in the safety of my own home, did a bit of running around the living room and jumping up and down in the kitchen, but it was really uncomfortable so it's going back tomorrow. However, when I bought it I got a £5 off voucher, so if I can find another that's more comfortable I should be able to save a fiver. Result!) Enjoy your Intermediate run with your club tomorrow!!
11/07/2011 at 17:24

Hi everyone,

Well i have been very bad - i haven't run since Friday. I walked Sat + Sun cos my knee was quite achy, so only did total of 2 runs last week - i just didn't want to risk hurting my knee more. I was a bit miserable cos i didn't get to run yesterday, that is until i went to the shop and saw a Double Decker bar - i haven't had one in years so I cheered myself up by buying one (and some crisps and haribo tangfastics) - yum!! I went today and got my gait analysis done - it was quite funny, the guy says do 8mph on treadmill, its a nice jog pace - well, my legs were going like a windmill, and i thought this might be a jog for you cos your about 6ft tall, but when you are 5ft tall its a flipping sprint!! I couldn't believe how much i overpronate till i saw it on the video - so i'm now kitted out with some stability shoes (Brooks) - so far i've been running in asics ones which are neutral. I am going to try them out tomorrow. Also, i got myself a kettlebell set (2.5kg,5kg,7kg), cos my legs are getting fairly toned but i still have bingo wings - mind you it was a workout in itself carrying the box to the car cos all 3 were packaged together.

Cheetah - you are right to be chuffed with your driving and your running- well done! I learned to drive in a diesel car - so no stalling - that is until i got my first car and it was petrol - my dad said i was driving with kangaroo petrol i stalled and started that many times. Back to good old diesel now though. Have you done your theory test yet? Hope your club run goes well tonight.

Norfolklass - my runs go very like yours - tough at the start, good after about 5mins, and hard at the end. I definitely rely on the walk breaks - and its not too hard to restart running. I see it as a wee pause to get my breath back. Hope your leg pain has settled today. Well done on doing your 25mins as well. You know whats funny - (not ha ha, i mean strange) - when i do my 22mins and its hard for 5mins at start, then good in the middle and tough at the last say 5mins - well, the 2nd repetition goes exactly the same pattern - maybe its psychological, or maybe i'm just weird!

Minty - hows things with you?? Had you a nice time at the wedding? Hope your legs have improved so you can get out and about again soon. I definitely would advise the gait analysis - even just walking in the stability trainers feels so much more supportive. Only problem was when i came home i looked on ebay and the same trainers were £63.95 (i paid £85). I don't mind though cos it was worth getting the gait analysis done, and also i usually wear size 3 shoes, but my trainers are a size 4, so i wouldn't have the option of trying them on if i got them on-line (thats what i'm telling myself anyway).

Right - i'm away now. I've written too much oul slabber!!

Have a good evening............xx

12/07/2011 at 19:30

Hi everyone, sorry not been around much lately! Have been doing zero running while my knees / calves get better, but I DID do loads of dancing at the wedding, which surely must count for something as it was a ceilidh and most people seemed to have buggered off to the bar tent, so they were desperate for people to make up the numbers, so I got roped into quite a lot of the dances. But it was brilliant fun. However, my knees started hurting quite a lot so confirmed that I should still be resting on the running front.  The wedding was lovely though! It was in a beautiful newly planted community woodland, which the bride has been instrumental in setting up. Quite hippy-dippy but just lovely.

We’ve been doing the garden recently so might go plant shopping at Taverham Garden Centre next weekend, which is where Norfolk Lass said there is a shop which does gait analysis, so might try to make myself do it. Stupid I know, but I feel really silly doing those sort of things! Do you do them in your current running shoes, or bare foot? I suppose bare foot would make more sense.

Snails – sorry to hear your knee’s been hurting too. Interesting to hear about your gait analysis.  God I hope they don’t try to make me run that fast! I’ll go flying off the end! Have you run in the new shoes yet? How are they?

Cheetah – well done on the driving! Did you go for your club run yesterday? No more leg pain for you I hope?

Norfolklass – wow, seems we’re all in the wars at the moment! How are your legs today?

By the way, been meaning to mention it for a while, but have any of you guys read “Born to Run”? It’s a brilliant, inspiring book that I really recommend. Only thing is it makes you feel a bit sceptical about buying expensive running shoes, as one of the main messages in the book is about how our bodies (well, surely with the exception of mine at the moment) are perfectly designed for long distance running and that to spend lots of money on special shoes which “correct” our running gait, is not only unnecessary, but actually damaging. Not sure on my standpoint on this issue though. Don’t feel I’m experienced enough to comment. But still, it’s still a really absorbing read and I really recommend it.

Might try a little test run tomorrow. (what's happened to my text!?). Maybe revert to run 1/walk 1 and see how I get on. Will let you know! xx

12/07/2011 at 20:41

Evening - that wedding sounds lovely, Minty! Glad you had a great time dancing - it's about time I went out dancing, and it just happens to be my birthday next week so I have an excuse!

Snails - hope you managed a run in your new shoes! 

I went to the running club yesterday and only just about managed the 2 miles, so not a great run for me. I went a bit faster to start with as there are people there repeating the improvers group who've had a bit more practice, and I got caught up in the momentum. I regretted it about 20 mins in though! It was STILL hot, and I started getting that niggly leg pain again - plus I needed the loo.... I'm not giving in just yet though and I'm going to try the 2.5 mile run next week!

I'm not sure what's up with my leg - it's a strange sort of dull ache just above my left knee, and it only happens when I've been running for at least 15 minutes, and it's fine again when I've stopped - so more ANNOYING than serious I think (especially when it's really hot and I need the loo...)

I'm going to try another 30 minute run tomorrow to see what happens! I'm still on the cross-trainer in between runs, but we need a new one as it's getting very loud and rickety (between me and OH it took us 6 months to wear it out!). It's a Davina McCall one and has served us well - but we're going to go for something a BIT flashier if we can to see if it lasts us longer! 

12/07/2011 at 23:39

Hi everyone,

Still havent run this week yet as knee still achy. Though its reassuring to see we sre going through something similar. Will definitely go out tomorrow, and fri, and Sun (hopefully). Keep looking at new trainers in box - i like!!

Minty - dancing is still exercise! Really glad to hear you enjoyed the wedding. I had to do my gait analysis in my usual trainers. Must check out that book (i'm a bit of a bookworm). I've been reading 'the non-runners guide to marathon training' - also very good.

Cheetah - don't be hard on yourself about your run - its hard enough running at a faster pace you aren't used to, plus it was hot - so double hard work! Maybe your knee is just protesting a bit at the pace - hopefully it'll not recur tomorrow when you do your normal pace.

Norfolklass - hope your runs going as planned and that they are okay.

Night Night xx

13/07/2011 at 20:45

I've got my running mojo back!

Tonight I FINALLY had a good run - 30 mins without stopping with the hills, and I varied my route a little bit and it just happened to take me right back to my front door in 30mins exactly! 4.52k according to MapMyRun, so slowing down definitely helped! I took an anti-inflammatory about an hour before which must have worked as nothing hurt - and I didn't go out til later (I didn't get back from my driving lesson 'til after 7pm and then I had to get changed and warm up) so it was quite a bit cooler.

I got heckled too! About 10 minutes in, a bloke with his mate shouted "pick your feet up, love!" so I did a silly heel-flicky skippy sort of run as I went past them and they cheered. By the time I'd stopped laughing I'd managed to do another 5 minutes!

Right - off to watch The Apprentice - hope everyone else has good runs!

14/07/2011 at 14:16

Hi everyone,

Cheetah thats brilliant you had such a good run

I went out yesterday late afternoon and did my first run in my new trainers - my knee was just a little achy but that was near the end - today its a different story - no pain at all, not even going down stairs, so thats good news. Mind you it also might have been because i had 4 rest days!! lol. I'll see what its like tomorrow. Ran in the town too, as i just couldn't bear to get my trainers dirty - however, back to the forest and the muck tomorrow.

Enjoy your runs.......

14/07/2011 at 16:09

Hi peeps,

Been a bit busy since my first post, holidays and work etc., so have just skimmed through the recent posts/questions

The parkrun went well (2/7/11), posted a new PB time of 24.57, my first under 25 minutes, so well chuffed with that. Due to work i wont be running it again 'till 23/7.

The only "program" i'm following at the moment is to just get myself out there and run 4 or 5 times a week.
I'd already acheived my main target which was to be able to complete a 5k, so just maintaining that distance, but trying to go a little faster each time.
I have a 2.5 mile circuit that I run in my lunch break, and also try to improve my time on that. Ran it day before yesterday in 19.27, a new best time again.

I'm going to try a couple of local running clubs over the next month (norwich road runners/norwich athletic club), see if either club suits me and take it from there.
If I find the right club, I may try to train up to a 10k distance, depending on resolving a slight issue with my right leg. Both clubs have qualified coaches, so want to pick their brains about injurys and how to prevent/treat them correctly.

Weight. Had a major shock last week!!
I was approx 110 kilos/242 pounds last time I dared get on the scales back in November last year.
I'd based my weight loss on the fact my work trousers used to be very tight/too small and are now somewhat slack with the need to do my belt up an extra notch, so figured i'd lost around a stone.
Got on the scales last week to find I was 98 kilos/216 pounds, 12 kilos/26.4 pounds gone!! Thats nearly 2 stone of fat off my lardy frame! My beer belly has reduced considerably, though I doubt it will ever be flat agin!
Some of the weight loss is due to a slightly more sensible diet (less sugar rich snack/sweet stuff/less beer/smaller portion size), but mostly due to the exercise I now get when running.
Just got to make sure I dont put it back on again.

Forget who asked, but i started running in late February this year.

Edited: 14/07/2011 at 19:52
15/07/2011 at 21:37

Hi everyone - Iain, I want to be as fast as you! (One day.... I think I'll just keep working on my distance for now!) That's great about the weight loss - so far I've lost a stone of what I put on after quitting smoking, and have better legs than ever to go with it haha!

Glad the new trainers seem to be working Snails - I couldn't WAIT to get mine dirty when I got them as they just looked too shiny, and I was paranoid I'd look like an unfit newby from a mile off! (the bright red face and gasping breaths probably did that all by themselves though!)

I did my run this evening - laster on again, at 7.45 so it was nice and cool. I THOUGHT I'd added a bit to my distance, but MapMyRun says no, 4.5k.... Never mind, I liked my slightly altered route, as although I added an extra bit of steep hill, this gave me a nice long gradual downhill bit as a reward! 32 mins in total, I thought I was going faster too.... MapMyRun must be lying to me. I need one of those posh Garmin thingies! 

Hope everyone else is doing well - I'm going to try for 5k without stopping on Sunday to see if I can - although MapMyRun will probably say I've done 2.5 or something!

16/07/2011 at 11:44
Hi MintyB i've just started as well this week im not doing too bad either seeming i have never seen myself as a runner but i don't want to jinx myself but i'm finding myself loving it!!I need to lose around a stone and a half i'm hoping that will make it all easier as well.we've got a 10k coming up in October in our area so i'm thinking of aiming for that? Don't know if i may be being a bit ambitious but I think i'm going to go for it!! Hope all goes well with you
16/07/2011 at 20:05

Hi everyone,

Hope you are all having a nice weekend. That was a great time you did at the parkrun Iain, and well done on the weightloss!!

Hi jm - welcome to the thread - well done on starting your training plan. Its a good idea you have a goal to aim for - so just go for it. I wasn't that brave to try a 10k first, so i did a 5k, but i'd need to get myself into gear and enter a 10k soon. Look forward to hearing how you get on.

Cheetah - i want a posh garmin thingy as well (though can't afford it at the minute) - good luck with the 5k tomorrow.

Nice run (or more like jog) for me yesterday - went out before it got too warm......surprisingly it left me full of energy for the rest of the day! I must try that mapmyrun thing as i don't have a clue about my distance, and just base my training on times.

Happy running....

16/07/2011 at 20:32

Hi all! Welcome to the thread Jm! Go for it with the 10K! Glad everyone else seems to be on the mend and enjoying their running! I've had a busy few days trying to fit in some diy in the eves hence why I haven't been on for a few days. I went out on Weds and did 5 x run 1min/ walk 1 min, just to test my knees out. It was much better after the rest. Still got a little bit of pain after a while, but nothing like the other week. So I'm going to just continue with week 1 for another week and see how I am at the end of that. I was thinking I might do the plan but just do 2 weeks of everything (unless my knees start behaving themselves). Just don't want to risk any more injuries. So I'm going to go out again tomorrow night and then back on schedule for 3 times next week.

It's been chucking it down here today, although cleared up nicely this eve.

Oh I'm a bit frustrated that I haven't seem to have progressed at all, especially since I feel that I can do more "cardiovascularly" (is that a word?), but just my knees letting me down! Still, I'm determined to stick with it!

Well done on the weight loss, Iain and Cheetah! It's very encouraging!

Will let you know how I get on tomorrow eve. Now back to the painting!

xxx

17/07/2011 at 10:51
Well, I chickened out of running on Monday as my legs still felt pretty stiff and tender, and ran on Tuesday morning instead. And realised that it was actually week 8 day 1 not week 7 day 3, so had to do 28 mins not 25. Doh! Having said that, I ran a new route on pavements and grass verges and it went pretty well. No pain other than the usual starting stiffness and twinges but they soon disappeared. Haven't run since Tuesday morning cos we've had a poorly mog so have had to dash to the vet a couple of times She's still not well but at least we've both got next week off work so can be at home looking after her rather than at work worrying. Going out for a run in a bit - feels too long since the last time and I miss it!

Snails - thanks for the info on the walk breaks, and it's good to know the hard/easier/hard pattern isn't just me. Glad to read your new shoes are helping with the knee pain, it must feel brilliant to be able to run again without any problems. I run for time rather than distance, then use www.mapometer.com to see how far I've run, I'm also going to map out a 5k distance then see how long it takes me.

Minty - so glad your legs are healed, it's amazing what a few days rest can do. The wedding does sound lovely, what a fantastic place to be able to have it. If you do make it to Taverham definitely do the gait analysis thing if you have time. It only takes about 15mins and most of that is chatting! You run on the treadmill in the shoes you're wearing (I wore my old trainers that I used to wear to the gym), then you run in your socks, then in different running shoes to find out which type are the most comfortable. When I went in I felt really self conscious, but Neil and Steph (physio lady) are so friendly and helpful and genuinely pleased that another person wants to take up running. Do it!

Cheetah - happy birthday! Hope you had/have a good one. And HURRAY for the return of your running mojo! I'm so impressed with 4.5k in 30 mins!!! (I used the calculator on this site to figure out how fast I'm running: 25 mins for 3.5k = 45mins for 5k so not very fast at all) Have you been out for your 5k yet? Hope it goes well.

Iain - well done on your new PB! Did you do the Eaton parkrun? Weird how three of us are from the same area… small world Good luck with the running clubs, I hope you find one that you like. And really well done on the weight loss, that's brilliant! Not bad achievements for only 5 months running!

Hi jm - looking forward to hearing how your running goes. Are you completely new to running? I've been thinking about a 10k too, but no definite plans yet.

Happy running all!
17/07/2011 at 16:55

I just ran 5.25k in 33:12 minutes without stopping! there was a lovely bit of cold rain at the end too that cooled me down nicely. To celebrate my best run yet - I have all the ingredients for the recipe for lamb burgers with beetroot and feta cheese that's in this month's issue of Runner's World and has been tempting me for the last couple of weeks and I'm going to cook some for tea! (To "help muscle recovery" )

Hi jm - welcome to the thread. I started training for a 2.6 mile race in September and I'm already running further than that - so 10k is definitely do-able by October. The 8 week programme with the running club I've joined goes up to about 10k - I hope I can keep at it until then!

Hi Snails - I should have asked for a Garmin for my birthday, I can't afford one either - maybe someone else can afford to get me one lol! Well done on the run - I quite like MapMyRun, I was using google maps at first but it's not actually desiged for mapping runs so not quite so user friendly. MapMyRun is just a slightly more fit-for-purpose version!

Well done for getting back out there Minty and glad the knee is feeling better - you're doing the right thing taking it slowly. Good luck with tonight's run!

Norfolklass - well done on your 28 minutes and I hope todays went well if you've been! Sorry your mog isn't well, I shall get ours to send healing purrs in your general direction.

It's 2.5 miles at the running club tomorrow - less than I did today and a flatter route too - so I should be fine so long as I don't speed off too fast at the beginning like last week! I have the week off work - my birthday is on Tuesday and we're going to pick up the new cross trainer I got on ebay (Prezzie to myself as the old one has got a bit rickety!) then we're probably going out for a curry. I can run it off on Wednesday!

*edit to add*

The burgers were gorgeous! Anyone who hasn't got the August edition of Runner's World should get one just for the recipe! (we're having them tomorrow too as there's only two of us and I made 4!)

Edited: 17/07/2011 at 20:07
17/07/2011 at 20:30

Despite the rain this weekend, I have managed 2 good training sesions, mostly because i used the gym at work and didn't venture outside!

Used a treadmill on saturday, set at 8 min mile pace, and ran for 2 1/2 miles, followed by 2 1/2 miles on an exercise bike.
Just treadmill today, again set at 8 min mile pace, and covered 3.1 miles (5k) in 24.50 (increased the speed for last minute to simulate a "burst of speed for the finish line" type of thing).

Started to feel a slight niggle in my right knee towards the end, but seeing a physio tomorrow to check it over and try to identify what the problem is, rest day tomorrow any way so wont over do it.

Will be checking out Norwich Athletic club next week, the road running coordinator also happens to be the guy who organises the Eaton Park Parkrun on saturdays. Will let you know how that goes.

Anyone going to Eaton Park this Saturday? Will be running it myself anyway, so if anyone wants to come try it or just be a spectator/ cheering section, just give me a shout.

Minty, everyone has times when they feel like they're not progressing.
Dont let it get you down, rest the knee when you need to, as its much easier to get through a minor problem in a short time with rest, than a major injury over a number of weeks or months because you pushed to hard!
Listen to your body, if it hurts, its for a reason!
If in doubt, pop into one of the running shops in your area for advice/guidance on how to treat it/resolve the issue.

Edited: 17/07/2011 at 20:35
19/07/2011 at 21:07

Hi - can I join your thread? You all sound a very friendly bunch, and I'd like to join in if that's ok!

I'm also getting back into running - I did run about  6 years ago, and did the GNR as my main achievement, but then stopped, have started again and stopped again several times, but this year seem to have cracked it again. I went right back to basics and did the whole couch to 5k plan, completing that in mid May, but since then I've kind of just plodded on, and don't feel I've progressed much, if at all. I can't remember the last time i ran for 30 minutes continuously actually

I try and get out twice or three times a week, though in the last half term work has taken up a lot of my evenings, so it's been sporadic to say the least! I'm so slow, and need to lose a couple of stone as well, which adds to my slow speed I'm sure, but I'm working on the assumption that getting out there is better than not going at all!

I've also got a mad dog who is my running partner - though he does try to trip me up sometimes which is not helpful!

19/07/2011 at 21:08

Hi Everyone! 

Happy Birthday Cheetah! Hope you're being spoiled and are probably enjoying your curry as I type! Did you get your new cross trainer? And very well done on your very long run!

Norfolk Lass -  how are your legs, and how is your poor cat? Hope she's a bit better?

Hi Iain, how did you get on with the physio? Hope your knee is on the mend. Well done on your training this week. Thanks for the sympathy and the advice.

On the subject of the Eaton parkrun, my friend did it last Saturday. She hasn't run for years and did it (without any prior training) in 33 mins! Pretty good going! 

Well, I went out tonight after a few days off due to one thing or another. I did basically week 1, run 1 /walk 1 x 8. But I'm feeling really good as it seemed really quite easy and NO PAIN! I felt that I could easily run longer and faster, but resisted! But the best thing is that that is the first time I've really felt that, so even though I haven't managed to go 3 times per week for the last few weeks, it is obviously still doing something. Amazing! So I have much renewed enthusiasm and am going to go Thurs and Sun, then progress to week 2 next week if all goes well.

Hope everyone else has been having good runs too. xxx

19/07/2011 at 21:17

Hi Miffy, welcome to the thread!  Well done on the GNR and getting back out there. I saw someone out running with a dog this evening and thought how nice that would be! I too have (at least) two stone to lose and I keep thinking how much easier it would feel to run if I wasn't carrying the extra, but I'm not very good at dieting, so trying to tackle it a different way this time. It's pretty inspiring to hear about the other guys' weight loss on this thread.

19/07/2011 at 21:29

Hi MIntyB - thanks for the welcome. The dog does help - he has perfected the hangdog look if I don't take him out, and goes loopy if I go upstairs to change into my kit - I can't help smiling cos he's so bonkers. But it does motivate me to go out when it'd be too easy to just stay curled up on the sofa!

Will post on here to keep me motivated and hopefully I want to get back to the full 30 mins nonstop asap!

81 to 100 of 673 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.