Started running....I think I'm addicted.

Is it love or is it a fad?

21 to 40 of 162 messages
25/09/2012 at 12:21

Hi LF, that's not a shoddy time for a 5k at all; I'm a lot slower than that!!!  Actually the triathlon I watched on Sunday had plenty of people who were at the 26-30 minute mark.

Hi viz jacket a must for you, and possibly a torch?

25/09/2012 at 12:51

Thanks Tina - I do worry about the sanity of running in poor light though - just about OK at the moment for a 0630 morning run but will be pretty dark in a couple of months I guess. Could just go at weekends but will miss my week day fix I think!!

LF

25/09/2012 at 12:58

there's a 6.30 in the morning??? who knew

25/09/2012 at 16:43

I would be ecstatic with that time for a 5km LF!

I'm on 37mins and was impressed with myself over that lol!!

I was wondering about the early morning runs too, it's getting dark very fast, I was thinking about switching to a gym / treadmill mid week run

25/09/2012 at 17:09

Good to hear all your stories and enthusiasm for running. I've flirted with running for about 4 years. I'm hoping that my recent burst of enthusiasm can be sustained. I've still yet to get the hang of running "lightly" - every step for me is a plod, which is odd since I've never been overweight. I find other peoples enthusiasm infectious though, so it's good to hear you're all enjoying getting into it

25/09/2012 at 18:41

Thanks Kathy.

Agree Agent this site is great - nice to know we're not alone when plodding around the streets!!

LF

25/09/2012 at 19:12

Hi to Lowflying/AgentGinger, etc.

Great to have some new faces (wordsmiths?) on our fledgling thread! Hopefully we can all cheer each other when we've had a great run or race, and give each other encouragment when we have a poor run or think about packing it all in (so far, so good for me - one poor run, but I'd overdone it the day before).

Great work on the 5k time, LF. I've just managed a 30 minute 5k myself and I thought it was a fantastic achievement. Anyone else had a good run they want to mention? Doesn't have to be record breaking, just something you're proud of even if it's running for 2 minutes without keeling over. Any lurkers out there feel free to join in. We're very nice. Honest!

26/09/2012 at 13:55

Hi all, just thought I would join in. I hate that its getting so dark, I was out Monday night and it was fine, then all of a sudden it was pitch black and the street lights were on. So ive gone and bought some reflective bands as I run round roads where people tend to like speeding and may not see me.

Agentginger, I totally get what youre saying about a plod- I always get told off a I "sound like an elephant" when walking even though not overweight but im so heavy footed and this carries on in my running which I need to be careful with as seems to be making my knee play up I have finally been able to reach my 5 mile marker in about 7 weeks, so pleased as its seriously hard work but now im there I want to go further and its really addictive! I'm only getting about 10 minutes a mile, but Im really pleased with that and just hoping I can maintain that time even with more mileage.

26/09/2012 at 17:22

Thanks Jae.

Nicola that is great work - 5miles is about 8K and a pace of 10min/mile is around 6min/K which is what I try to stick to. That should get you close to 10K in the hour which I reckon is a great achievement. I am at the point where I am not sure if I should increase distance or try to increase pace. Regardless of that must try and get out more before the mornings/evenings get too dark!

LF

26/09/2012 at 19:22
Hi all can I join in this thread I'm Sam live near Swansea (originally from midlands) a fairly new runner have a 2 and a 3 year old girls and last six months started to think a out some me time again as the big 40 was nearly on me!!! Lol

Last 3 months hooked in it I've just done the Cardiff 10k and the Swansea bay 10k my first races and bleeding loved the buzz it gave me managed to finish Swansea in 1 hr 2 mins so chuffed with that

Nothing better than a stressfull day and toddlers winding me up then getting out the door and start running stress buster at its best!!

Dark mornings and nights a real pain if running without anybody else mine went and got pregnant dam inconsiderate he he I've just joined a health club so I'll try and do midweek nights on treadmill aswel.

I've already found this site fab to keep inspiring me to keep going
26/09/2012 at 19:45

Hey Nicola and Samantha,

Welcome!

You're right about the darkness, Nicola. I love the autumn but it's not really conducive to jogging in the evenings. Reflective clothing is a must if you've got speedy drivers about. The colder it gets the harder to go out the front door, especially to exercise, so long may the progress continue - 5 miles is really good going after less than two months.

And Samantha, brilliant work on the Swansea 10k. If I get close to that time when I run my first 10k in November I'd be well chuffed. Hope we can all inspire each other as we go along.

26/09/2012 at 19:53
My next 10k is November 18th in Cardiff looking forward to that should be a fun one it's the MO running 10k lots of fancy dress

Jae in a race you surprise yourself the crowds and general good feeling with other competitors it makes you up your game a heck of a lot. Fab buzz
26/09/2012 at 20:23

That sounds fun - bit of extra practice at 10k without worrying about times and all that stuff.

My first 10k is the day after your next one. My (not so) secret wish is that I can do it in under an hour, but if I get around fairly comfortably it'll be a good base for future runs. I've managed to convince a few people at work to run as well, so should be interesting.

Anyone else out there have a race lined up before the end of the year?

26/09/2012 at 21:06

Hi! I've been lurking but decided to come out into the daylight! So exciting to see other people writing about running and thinking 'that's just how I feel'!! I started running in June this year and did a 'couch to 10km' training programme which was great as it built up the distance gradually. I did the Great Scottish 10km Run in Glasgow in September in 1:03:04, so I was chuffed. My goal is to get under the hour! Have been having some problems with new trainers/blisters over the past couple of weeks but am hopefully back on track now! Went out for 4km run tonight and was thinking how lovely it is to be outside when the seasons are changing! Hope I feel the same when it starts snowing! ............

26/09/2012 at 21:24

Hi Caroline,

1:03:04 is fantastic. There's been some brilliant efforts at 5 and 10k that I've read about on here so far - means I've got it all to do in November! Inspiring stuff, though.

Autumn's the best season for me so I'm enjoying watching the leaves turn (also gives me the chance to look at all the winter running gear online that I can't afford, sadly). That's said, it's just fantastic to be out and running. Fresh air, exercise, music, etc. What could be better, eh?

26/09/2012 at 21:38

Good evening all!

Lovely to see lots of newbies like me I have my first 10k race scheduled on 2nd December, its in Sheffield and it's called the 'Percy Pud' because you get a Christmas pudding when (if!) the cross the finish line lol!

I am doing a couch to 10k programme too Caroline, but at the moment I'm only up to 5km, I haven't run further than that. But I have about 10 weeks to get there, and according to my plan it is do-able!

I treated myself to some lovely new running gear today - some 3/4 running trousers and a nice t-shirt - in pink of course! Hopefully running in proper gear will make me feel more like a proper runner!

Kx

26/09/2012 at 21:44

Hi Kathy,

A lovely Christmas pud has to be reason enough to cross the line.

You'll do it, not probs - you're halfway there already.

I did the same as you and bought some new gear a couple of weeks back and I have to say that it does make you feel like a proper runner. Pink's not really my colour, though, so I went for black - it just seemed more manly.

27/09/2012 at 18:54

Had a good run today at lunch. Set the treadmill to a slight incline and ran steadily for 45 minutes, even sped up a bit at the end. Not the same as running outside, but still... My average pace was 9.12 per mile, which I was pleased with (that's sort of pace I'd love to run at come the 10k in November). However, being a bit 'glass half empty' about these things, I'll probably have a terrible run Saturday. Feel great about it right now, though!

27/09/2012 at 19:52

Good for you! I'm a bit fed up today - was planning a run but got an awful tummy bug so I can't do anything! I'm a miserable patient too lol!

I'm hoping to do parkrun 5k again on Saturday so hopefully I'll be feeling more human by then

Have a good weekend everyone!

27/09/2012 at 20:19

Kathy, I know how you feel, I was so frustrated when I was poorly last week. Hope you feel better soon.

Well I was extra brave tonight and went out with the 'proper' section of the running club! I usually go to beginners night, but braved it and did some interval/hill training. Hard, but I'm so pleased that I did it!

Edited: 27/09/2012 at 20:20
21 to 40 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.