Started running....I think I'm addicted.

Is it love or is it a fad?

81 to 100 of 162 messages
10/10/2012 at 21:02
WELL DONE KATHY! Im sore too lol. I get it mainly at the top of my thigh but it wears off after 4 miles . xx
13/10/2012 at 19:17

Hi all,

Some good distances and times, I see. Great stuff!

I've been on a short holiday with my wife and son on the Isle of Wight. Weather was predictably terrible and a little dangerous for running where we were staying as the winds were high and I could only run a gravel track through a forest. Did manage two runs of just 2-3 miles. Not great, but it was still nice to get out and try the new Brooks.

Unfortunately, I've a throat and ear infection, which I caught from my son, so that put paid to my intention of having a long run on Saturday. I felt quite bad about that as I'd drunk a fair bit of wine and eaten more than I probably should have (I was on holiday, after all). Luckily, the scales say I've only put on a couple of pounds, so no big deal.

Need to knuckle down over the next five weeks to get up to speed for the 10k next month. Once the infection clears I'll be fully focused.

Have a good weekend, everyone.

14/10/2012 at 19:13

Hi Kathy !

5K is a great achievement if you have just started running - it took me ages to get to that stage from 5 to 10 is easier if you pace yourself. I had short rests from 5 to 6 6 to 7 etc... and got to 10 that way. I could not do 1/4 mile when I started this year - it does all come together but at the end of a race I can hardly breathe while everyone else if just cruising !

16/10/2012 at 20:15

Still struggling with cold, throat infection, etc. Haven't run in a week - desperate to get back out there. It's given me some time to read more about running, but it's not the same as actually doing it. Fingers crossed I'll be back to normal by the weekend...

17/10/2012 at 11:09

Hi Jae...

You must rest ! I know the trainers are calling but it's no good - you will only feel worse ! drink lots of juice, no wine and wait until you are better...  Which 10K are you doing next month ?

18/10/2012 at 20:40

You're absolutely right, Peter. I've not touched alcohol in days, just intended to enjoy my holiday - wasn't expecting to get ill too. I am back at work now, still not 100% but a damn sight better than I was. Will see how things go and maybe have a short leg stretch on Sunday.

I'm running a 10k in Surrey. Won't be doing it in a great time - will be thankful just to finish now my training has gone off the rails. I've another 10k in Feb, so will try and train properly for that.

How's everyone else's running going?

22/10/2012 at 00:13

Hi Jae....

When is your 10K in Surrey ? I ran Croydon today - trams were not running which was good when you had to cross the lines but it was slow getting to the venue, Lloyd Park. (No trams!)  Super race though - my first all-road.. no hills just a few short climbs and nice gentle descents. How's the recovery going ?

22/10/2012 at 07:40

November 18th - Beddington Park.

When I was looking for a 10k, I saw the Lloyd Park one but thought it was a bit early for me. Will definitely consider it in the future as it sounds great.

Recovery has gone well as I'm feeling fine again now so I've packed my running kit for today and will have an easy run on the treadmill at work to ease myself back in. Really looking forward to it as I've not run for about 10 days. Hope my fitness hasn't completely deserted me!

22/10/2012 at 14:03

Ten days is not that long a time... Lloyd park was excellent... the first K is slow-ish as you have to keep on the path so you get time to get used to running. I ran out of steam at 9.5 k but by that time you are close to the finish. like an idiot I'm thinking of the Poppy HM on the 11th but I have never run that distance. Maybe it can be done slowly ? I'll see if I can do 12 SLOW miles this week... If I don't do the HM then I like the idea of Beddington Park - will look it up now...

22/10/2012 at 15:44

I'd be happy to run out of steam at 9.5k - crawling to the finish from there wouldn't be a problem. A HM, eh? Maybe next year, but that would be WAY too soon for me. If you think you're able then why not? 

I found the Beddington one on here in the Events section. There's on at Nonsuch Park in Cheam in Feb that I might sign up for too. 

Did 5k at lunch. Had to push a bit as my body rebelled a little, but my lungs were up for it even if the rest of me wasn't. Just glad I haven't dropped too much in the way of fitness.

23/10/2012 at 18:41

Ah, good ! Addicted to running if you are giving up your lunch break ! Only found limited info. on Beddington. Nonice photos as far as I can see ? Was going to try about 10 miles this evening (Ha!) but left hamstring still a bit sore. Will have to Wait until Thursday at least.. I think this is optimism over reality...

Anyone else thinking of doing HM at this time ?

23/10/2012 at 19:11

I know. I ran again today. Did 5k yesterday and about the same today. Was a little stiff in the legs to start with but soon loosened up. A colleague is going to come for a run outside tomorrow (at a snail's pace, I've warned her!).

Yes, info is limited, but I'm sure it'll be fun nonetheless.

10 miles?! Wow! Good luck. I'm nowhere near that yet. Let me know how it goes once you do get out there.

23/10/2012 at 20:04

Will need it I think ! But will slow right down and see what happens.. The thing is you never really know how you feel on the day - sometimes it's without effort other days it's a real struggle - let me know how the snail run goes !

23/10/2012 at 20:49
First 20 minutes are the worst, then you settle into a bit of a rhythm. Will let you know how it goes.

This thread has gone very quiet. Shame.
24/10/2012 at 20:07

That's the way threads go m8,there's only so much to say on certain subjects.Why don't you try starting a new thread about improving your distance or speed.

24/10/2012 at 21:01

Fair point, BCB. I might just do that...

25/10/2012 at 08:37
Hi everyone, I'm pretty new to running too & would love to know how to improve on my time!! I've done two half marathons this year at a very slow 2hrs 46. Its a good starting point though I suppose and just goes to show you can do it if you build up slowly, in my case very slowly!! Good luck with your 10 miles xx
25/10/2012 at 14:35

Hi all i only been running for about 9 weeks in all did 5 wks on readmill but only 1 day a wk then started to run outside and hoy boy it was hard, i was doing 2m on treadmill no probs but on the road i drop at 1m.  now doing better did my first 10k run last sunday 21st oct..  i was bit slow but got a time of  1:09  and now can't wait for my next run and hopeing to bet my time I'm age 41. tbh 9 weeks back i didet think i do a 10k

27/10/2012 at 12:16
Went for a slow 5 miler today, which turned into 10k. I wanted to see if I could do the full 10 before the race next month just to give myself a confidence boost. Very slow, very steady, but did it in 71mins and I had plenty left in the tank so I'm hoping to get nearer the hour mark when I do race. It's just nice to know that I reach the distance pretty comfortably. A good day.
27/10/2012 at 20:43

Uggh... finished 13 miles - two hours 16.5 mins.. was fine to 8/9 miles then it got harder ! Well done Littlehelen, Wolfy and Jae ! Is anyone doing the Poppy HM on the 11th (Bexhill) ? I just hope it's warm dry and the wind changes direction every half hour or so - 4 laps to complete but flat at least.

81 to 100 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.