Started running....I think I'm addicted.

Is it love or is it a fad?

141 to 160 of 162 messages
18/11/2012 at 14:44

Thanks BCB. Good point about the distance - I had read that before but forgot all about it. I'm feeling great about my time as I certainly didn't start the race thinking I'd beat an hour; I just wanted to finish. 

I love my Garmin. It's perfect for running outside, though I'm having a few probs getting accurate readings on the treadmill with the footpod. It seems the calibration isn't right as I've run for 20 minutes and the Garmin stated I'd only run 0.25 miles and I'm not that slow! As for the advanced training stuff, I'm still getting used to that, but I shall definitely have to utilise it for future training. Also, on the 410, people complain about the bezel. It just requires a bit of patience. I've hardly had any issues at all.

Brilliant! Thanks for that - I'll definitely try it. I've got another 10k in January so now I've got my first race (and first PB) sorted I've got something to aim for next time.

18/11/2012 at 15:54

Well done Jae ! No, I waited at until the last runner as it was lovely sunshine and in no rush to get home. I did look for you but must have missed you somehow. My watch made it 54.12 also but I think the course is bit short - 6 miles is probably about right, maybe 6.05 at the most. Good day out though and great to meet you too ! Well done again on your excellent time for a first 10k ! I won't be running a competitive race until March now as there is not much on but will be doing hill training for Hastings HM. You are more than capable of running that if you keep going through the winter.

18/11/2012 at 16:03

Oh, does anyone know how long it takes for a photo to be approved ? I "submitted" mine on Thursday and so far, nothing !

Hi BCB .. which Garmin do you have ? I'd like one for Christmas but not too hard to use but one which will help with training and give an idication if you are on-track for a certain finish time. I missed out on a better time last week as I did not know if I was running well or not between laps. Advice appreciated !

18/11/2012 at 16:24

Thanks Peter. It was a beautiful day. Lovely to run in. I hung around for 20 minutes or so, but had a few errands to run so had to go. I've the 10k in Jan first so I'll see how I get on there before deciding my next move. 

18/11/2012 at 16:30

Good luck for January - seems ages away.. is it a local race ? Took two hours to get home - May not do this one next year but Croydon is a definite at Lloyd Park - cracking race, good atmosphere and tasty cakes ! Really missed tea today - perfect at the finish .

18/11/2012 at 16:41

Local(ish). It's in Kenley. Haven't 100% decided I'll do it yet, but it's one I'm almost certain to do. Yes, shame there was no tea, but it was nice to get a medal nonetheless.

18/11/2012 at 17:48

Oh, does anyone know how long it takes for a photo to be approved ? I "submitted" mine on Thursday and so far, nothing !

Hi BCB .. which Garmin do you have ? I'd like one for Christmas but not too hard to use but one which will help with training and give an idication if you are on-track for a certain finish time. I missed out on a better time last week as I did not know if I was running well or not between laps. Advice appreciated !

19/11/2012 at 20:10

Hi Peter,i've still got an old 305,you can't get them any more they're that ancient but i still love it even though its like having a brick on your wrist.There are 2 choices if you want Garmin,the 410 or 610.The difference is the newer 610 has touchscreen and wireless links to PC.From what I remember they  offer similar training functions,just depends on how much you want to spend and do you have to have the latest gadgets.If i was you i'd go for the 410 i think its about £100 less for virtually the same thing

22/11/2012 at 23:25

Hi BCB... I looked at the 410 and also the 310 although it (310) looks a little bulky ! Just can't decide between the two now...   Hope everyone else is running through the winter and enjoying the mild-ish weather... wind and rain do nothing to dampen the spirits !

Ah, the photo is up at last.. thank goodness it's small - note the Roman soldier running behind me ! just shows how slow I am.. Never had so much fun before !

23/11/2012 at 20:43

Hi Peter,I think the 310XT is more for triathlon as it has swim data.If you want that I'd look at the 910 as the 310 is a pretty old model now hence the size.

23/11/2012 at 23:32

Nope... don't need swim data.. worse at swimming than runnung. I'll take a good look at the 410 then. Cheers !

24/11/2012 at 10:15
I have the 410. I love it and I haven't even utilised it fully yet. Well worth purchasing.
24/11/2012 at 13:20

Yes if i was updating i'd go for the 410 as well.

27/12/2012 at 21:57

At last ! Garmin 410 is on order... Oh, has anyone done a full marathon yet ? A week ago I would not have considered it but it has been nagging this week and now it's "Yes". I'm sure running breeds madness.

03/01/2013 at 13:30

Happy New Year, everyone.

Had a few weeks off with a sore knee but I'm back in the saddle for a 10k mid-February. Did a couple of miles on the treadmill yesterday (first run for a while), but decided to get a couple under my belt earlier - so much more difficult on the road, but a better workout.

Is everyone keeping the faith with running or did Christmas get in the way?

Peter - a marathon is a fair way down the list of priorities for this year. I'm going to concentrate on 10ks and maybe a half marathon later in the year. Good luck, though. Which one are you planning to do? 

03/01/2013 at 13:34
When I did my first in October I felt like I was flying half in 2:28 but ended up taking 5:30 to complete the whole thing!! Hard work.... But great fun
03/01/2013 at 13:51

Smal matter of a broken toe and a chest infection here, not been out for six weeks and it's been driving me crazy! Hoping I can get my shoes back on for the weekend.

04/01/2013 at 11:49

I have done 5 marathons now and trying hard to break 4 hours. My last was 4hrs 1min 32 secs so definitely getting closer. I started running 4 years ago and reading how this conversation started I do got addicted pretty quickly. At the start I could only run a mile in about 11 mins but it seemed once I was able to run 3 mile I just wanted to keep going and building up to my first 10K, then 10 mile, half marathon, etc. Now when i've reach marathons I just want to get faster. As for the weight it is great I went from a 36 waist to a 30.

07/01/2013 at 18:05

I started training today for my next 10k. As it's been a while it'll be a slow and steady build up just to get me back up to speed (I've seven weeks). I'm yet to find a 10k training plan that I'm happy with so if anyone has one they swear by and are happy to share, let me know.

12/01/2013 at 12:16

Went for a morning run today with a mate - slipped and twisted my ankle (only ran 2 miles, too). Not too bad pain-wise, but will probably have to have a few days off. I guess if it snows then it won't matter too much. Annoying, though.

141 to 160 of 162 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.