Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,001 to 2,020 of 6,826 messages
11/09/2012 at 14:13

wow 2000 posts!! 

I think you will really enjoy it, very interesting read with loads of exercises for the body and mind.

Takes a while to transition and there is A LOT to remember but it is well worth the effort.

With that in mind, my mojo has done a runner!!! Ive had abit of a health issue for the last couple of weeks and it has really affected my running, not my legs, my brain! Just cant seem to get out the door!

My mind is just not there right now, still thinking loads about running, just not actually doing any running! 

11/09/2012 at 16:52

B2B hope you get the health issues sorted as you have that race goal to target!!!

11/09/2012 at 20:56

Back from another 3 when will this get easier?

Another marathon? way it feels at the moment will be lucky to be able to do local 10k next May at this rate. So disheartning

12/09/2012 at 00:05

Thanks Grandel, im waiting on the hospital to contact me at the mo to go for some tests.

Right down to business....got in from work and went straight out again for a very clumsy and awkward 5 mile, never really found my groove tonight and got pretty much everything wrong but still came away with 5 miles in 55 minutes....its under my 12ish minute guideline so its all good I guess! 

3:30 - persistence is the key, half the battle is in your mind, "if you THINK your done you ARE!" (forget the book this came from right now! )

Never ever give up, if your finding it really too hard, your doing it wrong!

Take a step back and really study what you are doing and try and work out how to make it better, you can absolutely do it!

Try and find the possitive in every run even if it was rubbish use it as a study of WHY it was rubbish don't just discard it as a bad run...bad runs don't exist, its all a matter of perception

2012 - 458.16

12/09/2012 at 09:02

Sounds like those words come from a song B2B. Glad you got out and as you said that is  the battle - 90% of running is in the mind (actually that might be bollox!!)

Well a an awesome morning today, a clear sky, the moon with venus shining brighter tha any star casting their erie glow over the gently undulating sea, no sound other than my laboured breathing and my occasional fart to spoil what was otherwise an idyllic morning.

5.38 miles run this morning, in what must have been my best run since the doctor said oi fatty shift some blubber - average 8:28 BUT the last 3 miles were sub 8 with the last half mile in under 7s -

A very happy little bunny!!!  

12/09/2012 at 09:04

B2B

Thanks and no I wont give up. At my age I need it for my health as well as a hobby

But so frustrating to go out on a run and half a mile in dreading the rest as its so hard, I am running not short of 10 mins miles so not exactly going off to fast. I am only going out every other day but gonna increase that now

So frustrating !! I know we cant look back but last night on the last mile of 3 I was thinking I was running about the same pace as I did in the last mile of 26.2 was I was running marathons !! Ah well long road back but I am determined !!

Thanks

12/09/2012 at 09:19

You can't look 3:30 - I ran 8 miles in 74 minutes on Sunday - my marathon pb is 75 minutes so 12 years ago I could run 5 miles more in the same time - All you can do is look forward and at the benefits you will get from a health and fitness point of view - After nearly 2 years of doing this my cholesterol is back to under 6 ( a bit to go yet) my weight well donw (still a bit to go) and I now have a 5.36% chance of a heart attack or stroke in the next 10 years - which apparently is pretty good - reason to run you bet!!!!

12/09/2012 at 11:24

Grendel

Yes your right and I am not giving in am keeping at it just so frustrated.

Frustrated its not getting easier. But I lost 3lb last month and 0.5% body fat thats what I want to go get in the normal levels on the NHS BMI Calculator so got a fair way to go as according to that I am overweight, well I know that.

Get a bit discouraged though by my other half when I tell her I am overweight and need to loose a good few pounds. Why is it people always say "your not overweight" when the medical experts quite clearly class me as overweight ?  Probably why over half the nation are overweight - they just dont want to accept the fact they are. Well, I do and am doing something about it !!

12/09/2012 at 13:29

I meant to say my half marathon pb!!!

I know, my wife says the same - don't lose anymore weight but the docs said I could do with shifting a bit more, and at 52 I want to see my young son grow up.

That is why if you read back  - I decided whatever I did before I am a beginer - the difference now though as a beginner I have 16 years of previoulsy accumulated knowledge - so what I am doing is not trial and error but stuff I know what works for me - I am trying to change my running style slightly with the help of B2B - which I have noticed does speed up the runs - still haven't learn to take rest days BUT if you ever read back there is some personal stuff on here that sort of explains it.

Just keep at it and forget the past!!!

12/09/2012 at 13:43

3:30 - I think what you need is a good old fun run! Leave the watch at home, forget all the pressure of how fast your running and even how far your running, just leave the house with some water and go for a run! Forget split times and just go and explore somewhere you havnt been yet...works for me!

I think sometimes the pressure that we put on ourselves for better times or longer runs over shadows the fun. If you can find the fun again your runs will get easier because you will WANT to do them rather than feel like you HAVE to do them.

Try slowing down a little and just run with no targets....its harder than you think!  

12/09/2012 at 13:50

Grendel, glad to help out in anyway I can.

I was in another room and tried to give some advice and was told to shut up! 

So its nice to come back here with like minded people!

12/09/2012 at 16:05

You mean there are other forums and threads B2B (I have to admit I sometimes post stuff on threads and Facebook pages just to wind people up, p*ss them off does that make me a troll?)

12/09/2012 at 16:48

ha ha ha yeah a little bit

Yeah in another thread, I was trying to be helpful and finished with...wow i should stop before I end up writing a book...ill shut up now...and someone replied...please do! 

pfft! just no pleasing some people!

12/09/2012 at 16:56

Was it on the RW forum?

12/09/2012 at 19:06

B2B

My oroblem is I cant justy go out and run. I HAVE to know how far I ran and how slow !

I am a slave to the numbers. This year I have run a massive 94 miles and 15 in November. 36 in April 18 in May and 27 in Aug

I keep a diary and Graphs - a stat man !!

12/09/2012 at 23:13

It was Grendel yep!

3:30 - Its really easy to get really into collecting all the data! I just found when I was doing it myself that sometimes it just becames to much pressure and it was affecting my runs and screwed my data anyway so now im alot more relaxed!  

Give it a go on one run, you might even like it! 

13/09/2012 at 09:26

I only have a certain amount of time in which to run so I am pretty much caught up in the numbers and time game and is why I go out at stupid o'clock.

Could have quite easily tolled over and gone back to sleep this morning but I didn't I was up and out - feeling it a bit after the 20 times a minute Tuesday and the 5 miles 'tempo' yesterday but Off I went,  10 times 2 minutes off a minute recovery - and I did indeed feel it today -  I don't pay a lot of attention to the speed I am running to be honest but I knew I was working hard - Still rest day tomorrow so will only do 3 miles very easy, Southend 10K   now 3 weeks away (after Sunday) so a full training week next week and then starting to taper!!! a bit - have the Wix 5  the week after Southend and that is my target race for the year -  (and next where I am hoping to get under 30 minutes - (thats Oct 2013 not this year) so next year will be hard.  Happy days

13/09/2012 at 13:58

Really fast (for me) 5k at the gym today...29.18! 

Not done a sub 30 in a while! Small issue...I forgot socks so had to go without *palmface*  sore feet

Tried hard to focus on my chi running today, mostly on my core and relaxing my legs....not a bad effort I think.

2012 - 461.26

13/09/2012 at 21:52

All

Just found a nice local race for me Balloch to Clydebank half marathon.

Got about 6 months to train and want to get at least under 2 hours. Given I am running 3 at best in 29:30 reckon its achievable ?

13/09/2012 at 22:13

3:30 - under 2 hours would be giving it some welly but it can for sure be done!

When was the last time you did a half? If its been a while I would be tempted to just aim to finish this one and take it as a benchmark for the next one.

How do you feel after the 3 miles in 30 minutes? If you feel like you have just gone balls to the wall for 30 minutes then you will mathmatically run out of time as you will hit 2 hours and would have covered 12 miles and still have 1.1 to go! Thats also on the assumption that you keep to the same pace and dont get held up by terrain or people!

My average time for a training half is 3 hours but this is over a really hilly route, my best for it was 2.42.

With all that said race day turns people into a different animal all together so if you feel 2 hours is in your grasp....go for it!!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.