Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,081 to 2,100 of 7,231 messages
01/10/2012 at 16:07

lol Grendel! Yeah its not short for wRestle your way to the front!

01/10/2012 at 20:51

Was gonna rest this evening but my cousin wanted to go for a run.....oooooooooh ok then!

Very dark, pretty wet 4.8 miles tonight around the lake...first run with headtorches tonight.

Very very different sport with only a headtorch spot to follow! Fun and scary at the same time, every noise is a monster and every slippy patch wants to kill you!

Miles of smiles!

2012 - 516.44

02/10/2012 at 14:01

Hey peeps, swam 250 meters at lunch today and it nearly killed me! Im really not a fish! My technique is rubbish and I feel like ive had my ass kicked then done some weights! ha ha ha im still pretty happy though...did 4 lengths more than last week

Edited: 02/10/2012 at 14:02
02/10/2012 at 14:28

well done b2b. I swam my first length ever only 6 weeks ago or so. Michael Phelps won't be losing any sleep, but for me it was a breakthrough. Hopefully I can keep on improving steadily. Good on you, keep it up.

02/10/2012 at 16:31

Thanks AgentGinger! It was really hard work! Give me many many many miles running instead!

As I did an unexpected 5 mile yesterday, I may spoil myself with one of those rest day things tonight! 

Bring on the guinness! 

02/10/2012 at 21:34

The nigh time run sounds fun - my runs are now in the dark but haven't got the head torch though!!!  250 metres sounds a long way - thats like 10 lengths wow!!! can do a few but hang on at the end of each!!! A lot of my swimming seems to be clawing my way through the water head down and forgetting to breath - And whats a rest day -  Funeral today went off OK better than expected (was expecting at least a row between my wife and her older brother if not a fight!! but all jolly civilised!!! phew)

3 miles run this morning - quite brisk if only I can replicate that over the next two sundays. Happy days

03/10/2012 at 09:47

a very very slow lethargic 3 miles this morning - really couldn't be bothered today - Tired!!!!  Happy Days

03/10/2012 at 12:30

Well done Grendel for even getting out of the door! 

I did 12 lengths...and got the math wrong ha ha ha! Should be 300 meters and it was only 2 lengths...rest...1 length...rest...2 lengths...rest...etc.....

My "technique" is simple....avoid drowning from here to there, turn around and repeat till head and heart wants to explode!!

Ended up not running last night and NOT drinking! 

Dicided to save it up for a run tonight instead....

03/10/2012 at 12:48

Hi All,

I hope i can join in with you all. I have completed my first half marathon back in september a time of 3hrs 34mins and 22secs. I had to jog/walk the half as my trianing didnt quite go to plan, was ill for a quite a few months.

I have taken action and joined a runnning club and we are starting from the beginnning building up the times. All is going well and im going out along side on other days. I really love going out for a run but just couldnt build up the time.  So far so good and i look forward to going back and doing the Aberfeldy half marathon next year a a full jog/run and no walking

I will try my best to log on and talk to you guys but i may just pop up now and again when im near a pc

Alana

03/10/2012 at 12:58

i should add that i am almost 7 stone over weight having already lost two stone before i started running.

03/10/2012 at 13:13

You are more than welcome to join us we all try and encourage each other and well done on the wieight loss  joining a club is a great way to go as it does help motivate as well - those other 7 stone will soon be a thing of the past!!

I know what you mean about the breathing B2B when I raced my wife last week I was hanging on to the side for ages until my breathing stabilised  I am just not a swimmer!!!!

Edited: 03/10/2012 at 13:14
03/10/2012 at 13:25

Welcome Bananas! 

First of all congratulations at finishing your first half! Ignore your time, this is now your benchmark! 

Walking in my opinion isn't a bad thing and in fact can be an extremely useful tool if you work it into your training as it helps to keep down the injuries.

When you say you couldnt build up the time, are you talking speed or time on your feet?

They key to both really is to build up slowly and try not to get carried away and do to much to soon, remember YOU are running, find YOUR limits, not someone elses!

Its very easy to get caught up in chasing the guy in front of you...every single one of us on here is guilty of doing it and every single one of us at some point has crashed and burned because of it! ha ha ha!

Run, have fun, smile! Find your limits then push them a little.....oh and dont forget to smile!

03/10/2012 at 13:29

lol Grendel yeah me too! I am not a fish!

ha ha ha we are a "hot thread" again!

03/10/2012 at 13:56

I have burnt many times - once ran the first mile of a 10 mile race just behind a 2:11 marathon runner - he ran 48 minutes and won the race - I didn't!!!!!!! Also led a half marathon for the first mile - needless to say I didn't win that one either - (all a long long time ago!!!)

03/10/2012 at 15:13

ha ha ha Grendel! Seems like a really good idea at the time eh?!

I tried to chase someone down after already being 10 miles into my 13 mile training run....had to walk after about a mile or so and completly knacked what would have been an easy PB, ended up about 15 minutes slower than my average time! 

Pfffttt live and learn eh?!

03/10/2012 at 17:39

thank you grendal and b2b.

I manage to get time on my feet fine as in can go jog/walk for over 2 hours and get 8miles in. I meant to say the actual full time jogging. before i could only do 3-4mins once and then did what i could. club is now on 6 min jogging and im doing that ok. i will do the same when out 6min jog 3min walk etc.

A general walk now adays for us is 4-6miles so i get a lot of time on my feet. Next year i just want to complete the half as a full jog and hopefully get a 3hr sub.

Since trianing the weight jus hasnt come of, i do Weight watchers as well and finding the balance has been hard but hopedully it will soon.

Once i am up to 30mins solid jogging next year i will do the half marathon plan on my app again and try to do this twice before the big race day so that i am getttign plenty of time on my feet

03/10/2012 at 20:28

I lost about 3 stone last year - but it wasn't just through running - I also cut out cheese and chocolate - both two big failings of mine - if you read back, in a previous reincarnation I ran a lot and could eat anything - I no longer run miles and miles so have to be a bit more careful. But keep posting and the people on here will give you support and encouragement when you need it.

03/10/2012 at 20:56
Thank you! Well done in your loss that's a great achievement. Here's hoping it follows and comes of

I will do my best to keep in touch with everyone as nice to have somewhere to get advice and possibly give some back
03/10/2012 at 22:58

Bananas - ah I see, so just trying to keep moving for abit longer before a walk....I try and remember to do that on my runs I try and stick to 20 min run, 1 to 2 minute walk but I dont always remember to stop and walk!  Thats kind of a bad habit I need to break as I have my first Ultra next year and I think its the only way im going to get through it!!

Just keep at it, its gets easier I promise! A sub 3 is on the cards if you just take your time to build up to it, dont always follow a plan 100%, if you feel like your body isnt ready take a little step back or you will end up reading from the sidelines! 

We have all done it!

Right onto tonight`s adventure!

Went out with the earphones in and concentrated on keeping my cadence up with Black Sun Empire!

Tried to stay relaxed and stop myself from getting carried away with the music!

Mr Garmin on my wrist, and off we go...started off too fast so tried to claw it back a little...around 4 miles in it rained for about 20 minutes or so which at the time was ok and quite refreshing...6.5 I had a Trek bar, finished my first bottle then started on my Elete water....got stung on the foot by some little beastie and before I knew it was nearly home!!!

Mr Garmin clocking me in at 13.21 miles this time so with friday telling me it was 13.19 from now on ill just call it 13.2!

Looked at my watch, looked again, wiped the rain covered screen and looked again......ran softer than last time, more relaxed and only missed my new PB by just over a minute!?!?!!!! Final time.....2.20.37!

Now is confession time...ive been playing around with my diet a little while reading Eat and Run by Scott Jurek.

I have almost cut out white bread, white pasta and cut down alot on fizzy drinks.

I also for the last week or so have been running on veggies and a little bit of fish.

Tonight I had sesame seed cereal with some chia mixed in before I left for my run and I still wasnt hungry when I got back!!

Just made Thai tofu with rice noodles...need to get used to the tofu ha ha ha weird stuff!!

I have no real intentions of becoming a veggie or vegan but I have to say the results are very interesting! Im not sure if its just in my head but I feel lighter and im running faster with less time needed for resting.

Its a really strange thing but I just feel like everything is just a little bit easier, ok so my feet were still tired but thats just a matter of time and miles but apart from that I guess the only way to really describe it is I feel cleaner, like im running on unleaded! lol! This is something im going to investigate more!

Happy feets!

2012 - 529.64

04/10/2012 at 06:49
Thank you I will bare that in mind. That's is one thing the group has taught me I don't need to go out fast I just plod along slowly and I will get there.

Sounds like a great run minus the bite ????
I love the rain as it is quite refreshing and knowing you can get a change of cloths once home!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.