Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,101 to 2,120 of 6,787 messages
04/10/2012 at 07:22
Ps I have seen some of you are reading some books about running.

Is there any you would recommend to read as a beginner or even books about people's running like their memoirs?
04/10/2012 at 10:27

Well done B2B a good run there as much as it pains me to admit, as my own eating habits tend to be a bit erratic, I think diet does play an enormous part to play,especially as you are doing the types of mileage you are going to be doing in the lead up to the marathon - and the time you are likely to be on your feet - I am not sure if they still do it - but I used to rely on high carbo hydrate drinks in my marathon running days and just water during the actual race - (I think I would need to stop off for a full meal now!!)

Bananas - I would recommend 'The Competitive Runners Handbook - By Bob Glover - don't let the word  Competitive put you off as it should just be called the Runners Handbook - and it does really start at the basics -

I know other will disagree but if you want inspirational - I would recommend From Last to First - which is the autobiography of Charlie Spedding - one of our all time great marathon runners and Plimsolls on Eyeballs out which is the biography of Jim Peters - another British great from the the 50s - Basically they both show that there are no short cuts or secrets - just hard work.

3 miles brisk this morning - still feeling snotty which is effecting my breathing a bit but the 98 day challenge continues and am not far from Gdansk now on my virtual run - hopefully will arrive by the end of October -

04/10/2012 at 12:34

ha ha ha Grendel im finding the seasme cereal and chia a great combo! Used to stop for a sandwich, coffee and a chocolate bar!

Well done on keeping up with your challenge as well!

Bananas - Ive read loads!! Born to Run by Christopher McDougall is a must in my opinion, really inspiring!

Ive also read....ultramarathon man by Dean Karnazes, 26.2 stories of blisters and bliss by Dean Karnazes, the ghost runner by Bill Jones, what i talk about when i talk about running by Haruki Murakami, how to run fast and injury free by Gorden Pirie, chi running by Danny Dreyer and im now onto Eat and Run by Scott Jurek

I also started Feet in the clouds but couldnt really get into it...will try that when I start to run out of books!

04/10/2012 at 13:10
Thanks guys gonna have a look out for these!! Think I have the runners handbook ill see if its by the same person. A good few to look at ????
04/10/2012 at 20:41
What's the 98day challenge that sounds interesting?
04/10/2012 at 22:24

Evening all

Great running going on here. Welcome to the new posters this is a great place to be

After 2 weeks with only 2 runs been out twice this week and upping the mileage to a mighty 4 !!

05/10/2012 at 09:11

Bananas - some one I know from Facebook had worked out a few days ago that there were 98 days to the end of the year and how about a challenge - so a few of us agreed to the challenge of running at least a mile a day until then -

Should have had a rest day today due to 10K but did a mile instead!!!!

05/10/2012 at 11:13
Sounds good Grendel!

Not for the challenge but do you think it's ok to run on consecutive days like if I go out tonight and tomorrow. My friend and I will be out tomorrow but misse last night so thought I'd go out tonight should be more than 45mins on my feet as its a program I'm following. Would this be ok?
05/10/2012 at 12:52

I can't see why not as long as you take it easily - In some ways I'm not the best person to ask as I do run everyday - and although I was starting again from the beginning - up to 1999 I used to run very high mileage and ran two/three times a day so in many ways my body is used to it and what I can get away with.

The maxim to listen to your body is probably the best thing to do.

Edited: 05/10/2012 at 12:53
05/10/2012 at 13:09
Thank you. I will take extra care and listen to my body an see what it can do. It should only be occasionally ill new to go out two days in a row but small mileage jut now so shouldn't be a problem I hope ????

I will see how tonight and tomorrow goes and then ill know if I can handle it or not
05/10/2012 at 13:17

Just see how it goes then, as you are walking and running it should be OK.

05/10/2012 at 14:25
I worry because people say about muscles repairing and as I'm heavier the pressure on joints. But yes it's a jog walk program and ill listen to my body, its the only way I will know I suppose. Thanks
05/10/2012 at 16:24

Hello everyone, hope you are all well and getting in some miles.

I promise I will catch up real soon with all the posts I have missed but until Sunday evening I am simply flat out.

Went for my first run for a few days today after work. Felt really refreshed and ran a nice easy 3 miles. I won't be running again until Monday as I have 8 1/2 hours of football drills to look forward to on Sunday!

Happy running!

06/10/2012 at 09:18

I never got out last night but will be out at 2pm with my friend and ill go out again tomorrow and see how the two days running feels as Monday will be rest day before club on tuesday. Happy Saturday everyone!

06/10/2012 at 10:02

Happy Saturday Bananas - good luck with your two runs -

Just Run enjoy your 8.5 hours of football,

2 miles brisk done ahead of tomorrows 10K - looking forward to racing my 20 year old nephew!!! apparently he has been training hard and is determined to beat the old man!!!!  We'll see!!!!

06/10/2012 at 13:35

What 10k you doing Grendel ?

06/10/2012 at 15:46
Goo luck for the 10k not that you'll need it ????
06/10/2012 at 18:47
2.74 miles done tonight. Didn't go to plan as I would of liked as I tried my trainers I got from run 4 it last year again and I definitely think in giving up on them. They said I need more support but I just can't get on with the trainers. My normal ones are simple ??30 ones from a shop and feel a lot better. I do need to get new ones though as had these a couple of years now. But atleast I know I need support but not the way the shoes are given it as they push into ankle and arch to much..
07/10/2012 at 12:41

First 10K yesterday for the LInda Norgrove Foundation. Stunning scenary along the Valtos Peninsula on the Isle of Lewis.  Had to walk a bit of it, but considering I started runnng just  9 weeks ago I feel really proud. Went for a swim in the sea afterwards with running buddy and her dog. Perfect.

Next 10K, I will run all the way.

07/10/2012 at 13:17
Sounds amazing Jane I love races with a view! Well done after 9weeks that's amazing!
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.