Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,121 to 2,140 of 6,812 messages
07/10/2012 at 17:33

Jane

Swimming in the sea !! offftttt your brave in this weather !!

Just read a couple of novels by a guy called Peter May - The Black House and The Lewis Man - both set on the Isle of Lewis - great reads

08/10/2012 at 16:50

Well done Jane!

How is everyone else getting on?!

Had a nice rest over the weekend and im planning to head out tonight for a easy paced 10 mile. My plan says I should be doing 3 runs in the week then a 16 mile at the weekend...im going to listen to my body instead and cut down on the amount in the week...go for quality not quantity, then hit the 16 either at the weekend or monday again as monday seems to be turning into my time for the long runs!

Happy running all

08/10/2012 at 16:55

Hi all

hope everyone is doing ok

Ive had over a yer of problems and sicknes - were still doing a bit -  we just train  when ever possible, keeping the preparation right of course

We dont race the pace anymore, we just run for pure fun now a days

the average HM takes 12 - 25 mins longer now

but what the hell

08/10/2012 at 20:30

I went in the sea a couple of weeks ago, but that was entirely involuntary and was fully dressed - my son thought it was very funny when he pushed me in egged on by my better half!!! Bloody cold!!!

You seem to have got the training well and truly sorted now B2B - I don't suppose it matters when you do the runs, the important thing is to do them!!!

Hi you Mick - glad to see you are still getting out and about - something I am pretty sure that Phil appreciates - was on facebook the other day and saw a load of pictures of the pair of you when you did london - as always keep in touch and posting!!!

08/10/2012 at 21:40
I only manager Saturday in the end but that's ok. I have jog Scotland tomorrow night but fear I won't make it back from my hospital appointment in time. Got a check up as had my wisdom tooth out in hope it fixed my jaw disorder. The joys! If I'm not back in time ill go out myself a bit later on so I don't miss a run!
08/10/2012 at 21:53

Hi Mick and Phil! Long time no post! Sorry to read about the sickness but good on you guys for still keeping at it!! Running for fun is the best feeling anyway!!

Went out with the intention of a nice slow one tonight with a sensible pace.......ooooops! I know its not a "real" distance but I accidental broke my 10 mile PB!!

10 miles became a target for me when I first moved to minimal footwear as its such a wonderful feeling to break the double digit barrier and ever since it has just become my own distance I hunt for when I try some thing new.

My previous 10 mile time which I made in my Merrels was....1.55.30...tonights time........1.43.59!!!!! In SANDALS HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Backwards is the new forwards!

2012 - 539.64

Edited: 08/10/2012 at 21:54
08/10/2012 at 22:06

hi guys and girls

still running, yes of course, but i've lost that hunger a bit tbh - at least the race pace hunger

10/10/2012 at 12:28

Never made it to Jogging group last night as i had a hospital appointment for my jaw. they said it looks good and now i have had my wisdom tooth out seems to be helping alot now that i have less pain. whoo so hopefully no more weeks of feeling ill and horrible will interupt my running.

Hoping to go out tonight if i get from work in a descent time happy running!

10/10/2012 at 13:06

Bananas - glad you had some good news - so hopefully you can get out tonight.

10/10/2012 at 13:33
Thanks! I hope so if not late at work. But I can go tomorrow instead as nothing planned tomorrow night if I don't get back in time.
10/10/2012 at 15:15

Hi peeps!

Just got back from a tough 5k at the gym...I chose to wear my Five Fingers today...man I just dont really like them anymore! 

I didnt sleep very well last night and hadnt eaten before the gym today (both mistakes I should know by now!) So that is without doubt why I struggled today.

Oh well still finished (all be it with poor form) in 35 mins so not so tragic 

2012 - 542.74

10/10/2012 at 18:07
35mins is great! Shame the rest of it didn't go quite to plan but practice makes perfect
10/10/2012 at 18:40

lol Bananas! Thanks! Ive been "practicing" for quite some time now ha ha ha and ive got 5 weeks till my first marathon! ha ha ha I guess I just like a challenge!

Im normally quite happy as long as I can keep above about a 12 minute mile but of late I have been trying to get used to nearer a 10 to 10.30 m/m so today was abit strange! I think also ive finally come to the conclusion that the treadmill sucks!

Great for getting you going but nothing compared to getting yourself out of the door!

I would rather go out side and run for 10 miles than spend more than 36 minutes on the treadmill! ha ha ha

10/10/2012 at 21:59

Hello all, WILL catch up this week, PROMISE! Went for a quick 2 miles with the wife this morning before my grandads funeral. Good to see you're all clocking some miles.

10/10/2012 at 23:01

Hi all,

Been reading this thread and it seems like lots of you were in the same position as me. Ran for a while 20 years ago until I crocked my ankle running in the dark. Never got started again, but now making a comeback.

I have been back for about a month and am now running 3 to 4 miles but being careful not to push too hard and injure myself. I had sciatica 3 times in 18 months but after a chiropractor straightening me out and then following on from his work off with orthotics for my fallen arches, I have been pain free for a year.

To stop me pushing too hard I have been following a training plan from John L Parker Jnr's book 'Heart monitor training for the compleat idiot'. This starts you off for a month running at no more than your 70% 'recovery ceiling' which for me is 143bpm. This is really easy and slow (infact I ended up walking quite a bit to keeps my pulse so low) but made me realise I had started off running too fast for my own good. I am on week 3 of 4 and then head on to aternate easy and hard sessions. What he calls 'The general all purpose training principle that everyone agrees with but no one follows'.

Happily my wife has also followed me out of the door and she is a couple of weeks behind me (on the plan I mean, I haven't left her that far down the road). So we are motivating each other, though at present I am enjoying the freedom of running so it's easy to get out of the door.

We are living in the Cairngorms so starting this time of year is probably not the best timing. We have had frost for the last 3 mornings and there is snow on top of the mountains, but fortunately with our job we can do our running in the afternoon when its at its warmest. Though that was only 7 degrees today.

Heading out to Aldi tommorow to pick up some new Winter running kit in their weekly promotion, (only a 50 mile drive) my one running top is getting a bit smelly!

11/10/2012 at 10:26
B2B good luck with the marathon I'm sure you'll get a great time!

Just run I hope your granda had a great send of!! Sorry to hear the news x

Half runner, I found the same I started to fast but good on you for getting back out there, now we both know slow and steady will get us there.
11/10/2012 at 12:30

Welcome on board Half Runner - 20 years is a long time to be out - but as Bananas said slow and steady is the way to go - I imagine the weather gets pretty grim up in the Cairngorms - stll a beautiful part of the world.

11/10/2012 at 13:30
My aim is to back next year and Jogg round one of the lochs in aviemore its the one with a castle in the middle
11/10/2012 at 14:50

Grendel - The weather can indeed get pretty serious here. We only arrived in March so missed the worse of the Winter but we still had the road out of the village closed in April for over 24 hrs because of snow drifts. The last snow on the mountains was the 2nd of June and the first fell on the 30th of August !

We are supposed to be the coldest place in the UK with an annaul average of 6.5 degrees and temperatures have been down to -27.2. 

Went to Aldi today and bought 3 running tops, a windproof top, tights, socks, hat and gloves all for £60. No excuses now.

11/10/2012 at 20:25

Hi there,

Now planning next 10K. Ness. Northest Westest bit of the Isle of Lewis on December 1st. Lots of friends joining in and we are considering taking wetsuits for a post run dip. All this weather dependant; just like Half Runner Half Biscuit we do weather here. I'm really enjoying this forum and encouragement you give to us newbies

Any tips for clothing for winter runs? Cheers Jane

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.