Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,161 to 2,180 of 6,822 messages
16/10/2012 at 10:54

i do think you are right - trouble is a 5 hour run is going to take a large part of your day - so I think for your sanity you really have to do it on a weekend morning - Now I know you have the gig on Thursday - but I think if possible you should do the run on a Saturday - two reasons - one it gives you Sunday to recover (assuming you don't work Sundays) (or Saturdays for that matter) also I used to find a long run on a Sunday tended to hang over you - whereas getting it out of the way on a Saturday it was done and dusted!!!! Good luck though am routing for you!!!!!.

16/10/2012 at 11:55

It's snowing! A bit of light snow this morning settling on the ground in the village after last nights -5 degrees. The forecast is for it to brighten up a bit this afternoon but probably won't get above about 4, so I shall wait until mid afternoon and the 'heat of the day' for todays run. Quite a bit of snow fell on the mountains yesterday and a few of the walkers staying with us ended up turning back.

Did a new 7k route yesterday and nearly came a cropper. To join 2 roads I had to cross a couple of fields and use a footbridge to cross a stream. Trouble was the footbridge had been built on to a rocky area and I discovered the rock was very smooth and greasy. Legs flew in all directions but I managed to grab hold of the bottom part of the hand rail. As I fell my back hit the rock but I still held on and I ended up half way down the banking. If I had lost my grip I would prpbably have slipped all the way down into the stream.

A bit shaken and bruised, but like a true runner my first thought was to get going again as the stopwatch was running. Got to the other side of the bridge and slipped again and ended up with a grazed knee. Final ignominy was a boggy bit leading to a wet foot. Don't think I will be doing this run again any time soon, which is a shame as it was a good route.

16/10/2012 at 12:36

Different world up there Half Runner!!!!  but luckily you are OK - and to carry on running shows you have indeed morphed into a proper runner.

Have you thought about buying a good trail shoe which would give you far more grip than an ordinary road shoe and then perhaps with a little care you could carry on running those trails for a bit longer?

Do you run a guest house or an outdoor pursuits centre or something?

16/10/2012 at 14:10

Grendel - I was in trail shoes, the description from Mizuno is 'A trail running shoe that gives fantastic grip, stability and protection; perfect for when you go off road.' Unfortunately it was just a really greasy bit of rock that I think anything would have struggled with, trouble is it was not possible to get on or off the bridge without going on the rocks and it just caught me by surprise. I tend to run about half and half on roads and tracks but I will have to play it by ear when it gets properly snowy and icy up here.

We run a hostel so get plenty of walkers bagging the munros as well as lots of other outdoorsy types here to enjoy themselves.

16/10/2012 at 15:46

What an amazing lifestyle you must have up there.

16/10/2012 at 16:20

grendel - It sure beats the 9 to 5 and long commute I had for 25 years. Most of my work is mornings and evenings so I can always get out to run - walk - cycle -fish etc. in the afternoons and enjoy lots of daylight.  It's a 9 month season with 3 months off but you just work your finances to suit.

The downside is working every weekend and 4 evenings until 10pm and never having the same days off with my wife during the season. Also lots of beds to make and toilets to clean but that's the price you pay for the lifestyle. Been doing it for 10 years and would find it hard to go back to a 'normal' life.

This is a great time of year, the red deer are rutting and can be heard roaring on the hills, the red squirrels in the garden are burying nuts, the Autumn colours are coming alive and snow is returning to the hills. It's a pleasure to go out running and so many route options to choose from.

16/10/2012 at 17:29

thanks Grendel, yeah im going to give it ago, the only thing really stopping me on a saturday is getting up crazy early so it doesnt take over my saturday!

Have to see how my lady feels about this, will have to leave the bed like a ninja! 

16/10/2012 at 20:45

Right, let’s try a quick catch up, finally!

No run today as the wife is at college for the best part of the evening so it’s avoid the fridge night instead!

B2B, I see you finally got the garmin! You won’t regret it, I cannot believe how I ever coped without one although the last two runs I have done have been without it lol. One good thing is the fact you can run a known course or distance every now and again while leaving the stopwatch at home, and  when you’re in training for something you can get all the data you need! Also, early in a race it can keep you from getting carried along with the rest of the ‘starting too fast brigade’ while effortlessly overtaking them 2 or 3 miles later. I’ve heard about beetroot juice before, some people really rave about the stuff. Unfortunately for me, I can’t stand it so will never know its magic qualities. Nice swim too lol, I’m no better and I feel your pain. 500 up!!! Fantastic!!! Used my headtorch too last night, it takes a bit of getting used to I find.

Grendel, I get where you’re coming from with your wifes grandad, sounds like my kind of bloke. That’s a decent age to reach too. On a lighter note, these things come in three’s so heres hoping this thread has had its dose of bad news for a while. I haven’t discounted going out early but recently I’ve been tired just doing what I’m doing if that makes sense, not sure I need to add to it. Anyway, I should get back into the swing of things now and I’ve even signed up to a free fitness site, “my fitness pal” as I hope to get into shape over the winter and make next year the best yet regards running. The 8 ½ hours of football certainly kicked the shit out of my Achilles lol, thatll take a week or two to settle down again. Lol at the beach incident!

Welcome to the nuthouse Panda Bear, you’re in good company on this thread. That’s some impressive stats already, I wish somebody slower than me would join in! Good on you for having a rest day, otherwise known as an easy 3 miles to Gredel A boxing day 10k eh? Good for you. A sub 60 10k training run there too, nice one J

3:30, I have also given up with London. I may make one huge effort for a charity one day but for now lifes too short for race rejection. I’ve also had just 2 runs in the last 2 weeks, here’s to many more!

Bananas 1989, you’ve already taken the biggest steps by the look of it, welcome aboard. Thanks for your kind words also, my granddad had a great send off, there wasn’t enough room in the church for us all! He was one of nine children, and had nine children himself, this led to grand children and great grand children totalling 48! That’s NOT including his 8 brothers and sisters or any of their offspring! Just his immediate descendants. The eulogy was spot on and it was great to see so many people, even at such a sad time.

This thread inspires me every time I visit it so hopefully it’ll do the same for you. There are people of all kinds of ability on here, some post almost every day, others come and go. Feel free to post away whenever you like. I have just signed up to a site called “my fitness pal”, its simple to use, counts calories  and exercise and best of all its completely FREE! As far as books go Born To Run is a must, Feet In The Clouds I found compelling despite not having a clue about fell running. I started reading I run, therefore I am nuts recently, got about half way through and binned it, way too americanized for me, I found it bloody boring to be honest. Eat and Run by Scott Jurek was pretty good and had lots and I had lots of pages marked for future reference.

16/10/2012 at 20:46

continued.....The Looniness Of The Long Distance Runner was another worth noting, a very well written book.

Once a runner is also superb!, and PRE is another well worth a look.

Jane MacAuley, well done on that first 10k, and an ice bath afterwards, you athlete!!! As for winter runs, merino wool socks are fantastic. A decent baselayer, gloves and a ‘grin and bear it’ attitude!

Mick n Phil, so glad to hear you’re still getting out there. Keep coming back please and keep us all motivated! Race pace isn’t everything, if you’re enjoying it you’re doing it right!

Welcome also to HalfRunnerHalfBiscuit, so good to see people coming back to running, you’re in good company here! I also wear orthotics and my new(ish) pair have led to much less pain and I’m very confident of slowly getting to where I want to be.  I take it you’re not short of scenic runs up there! And certainly no excuses with all the new kit! I’m looking to buying a HRM myself sometime next year once I’m back to a decent weekly mileage. SNOW? Wow, that sounds so exciting! I bet the reality is completely different? Watch those slippery stones! Glad you’re ok.

Right , think that’s a fairly decent catch up. All in all, I come to the conclusion that I’m miles behind everyone else! Right, going to have an hour in front of the tv and a reasonably early night. 3-4 miles planned for tomorrow night.

16/10/2012 at 21:06

I have to say a BIG THANK YOU to all of you! the other week you said go and do the two days runnning and see how you feel, well finally i got two days in a row.I hadnt been out in over a week so went out last night, 30mins later and covering 2miles i found it tough. Tonight i was a t club and the max we jogged in one go was 10 mins, wow i have never done that before with 5 mins either side of a short walk. I now feel amazing! Hope my legs are ok tomorrow but i wont be jogging possibly just body combat.My new trainers also help

My new problem now,  & I'd really apprechiate some help, it jumps up to 15mins next week. How do you get past the barrier? when im running myself i stop to easily, like monday barely got to 6mins, but in the group i can keep going. Although i struggled with the 10mins and my back hurt a little so dont know how 15mins will go.

I'm going to do my best to practice and if i  have to do two days again but then a break.

16/10/2012 at 21:39

Glad all OK Just Run and welcome back - that is certainly some catch up!!!! Glad Granddads funeral went off ok - a nice way to celebrate a life.

Biscuit like I said earlier - a great lifestyle there - you must already be pretty fit.

Bananas if you need to stop then stop, perhaps deliberately build in a short walk break - maybe a minute - then gradually reduce the minute to 45 secs then 30 secs - you will be amazed at how quickly you will be running non stop. 

B2B getting up and going Saturday means that it doesn't tkae over the whole weekend!!!

Finally as I approach Gdansk (in about 60 miles time) have found my new virtual run - will be off to Hattusha in central Turkey a run of approximately 2000 miles - will aim to arrive at the end of next year!!!!!!

16/10/2012 at 21:43

Just getting the chance to read back on posts.

Half Runner glad you are ok and what a true runner! I probably would have wobbled abck and 

Just Run - Glad to see your Grandad had a great send of and WOW so much family. I am one of 7 and my Mum was one of to many to count aloing with all the step's lol. Awww really nice to hear that even though it was a sad time.

Just Run - thank you and thanks for the great books tips. Will look these out. PLus you are no where near behind as im right at the beginning so your infront of someone

16/10/2012 at 22:13
This is the thing though Grendel why can I Jogg at a slow pace continuously at class but not by myself. I know I don't need a break how ever will if I feel I new one. I suppose its about pushing on ... The group leader says she struggles on solo runs compared to group ones to. I just find it weird and can't put my finger on it ????
We do it n blocks so tonight was 5min walk, 5 min jog, 2min walk, 10min Jogg, 2min walk and 5 min Jogg before 5min cool down. There's breaks in there ....
17/10/2012 at 09:17

Are you running a bit quicker in the group than you are on your own - that may be the problem, and then that is where the digging in and holding on comes into play - group runs can do a lot for your times and fitness.

17/10/2012 at 09:39
Thanks grendel, Last night we covered one mile in 16mins and that included a 5min walk. My normal runs before I was doing it in blocks by myself was 15mins something. Maybe wgn I go out myself I can check the mile I do and see how it compares as I feel I'm running the same pace or even slower by myself.
17/10/2012 at 10:13

Banana - When I used to run it was usually with one other or sometimes 3 or 4 and we always ran the whole thing, even used to race for the finish line. By myself I often ended up walking a bit. None of the 'if he's not stopping I'm not going to' pure male ego when you are by yourself.

Since restarting it's all been by myself but I'm fine keeping going. The HRM is my running companion and I run to that and maybe it's 'it's not telling me to stop, so I'm not going to' .

Day off work and day off running as well after 2 on the trot. -7 degrees last night and still around -4. A good book and the comfy armchair beckons. 

17/10/2012 at 11:00

Bananas - Running on your own is a mind game, if you can get your head into it your body will follow! Try putting in some headphones and running to the beat, concentrate on nothing else but your feet tapping out that beat and when your mind starts to wonder onto other things....back to the beat! Before you know it you will be running further than ever without even realizing it....I promise!

Try something with a beat at around 160-180 beats per minute, google play lists within this beat range, assemble your list, and off you go!

Dont worry about time, have fun and remember to smile...it does alot! If nothing else the looks of confusion from other runners will keep you amused!

Welcome back Just Run! It was nice to read your catch up! Im just about to finish Eat and Run, wicked book and has really changed my attitude to food!

HRHB - close one with the bridge eh?!!! Is there anyway you can still use that wonderful sounding trail and avoid the bridge?

Edited: 17/10/2012 at 11:01
17/10/2012 at 13:07

B2B - crampons!

Now I have moved up from 3 mile to more 4 and 5 mile runs I have a much wider choice of off road routes to try. I have walked them plenty but it's a bit different running them. There are 3 on my radar over the next couple of weeks. 2 quite hilly and one by the river. 

Snowing steadily here at the moment and there are some redwings (for non birders, redwings and fieldfares come from Scanadnavia to spend the Winter here) picking berries off the trees in the garden. Hopefully the weather will get back to normal soon but I have put my order in for winter tyres for the car.

17/10/2012 at 13:37

HRHB - perfect! Sounds like some pretty hardcore running up there! Yeah ive found the same with my runs, the more you progress the more freedom you have to get out and explore! Ive worked my way up to 16 miles now and have a few different established routes depending on what kind of run I want - road,trail,hilly, really hilly and holy mother of hills thats a little steep!

This weeks long one is a 12 then next week is a push for 18, following two weeks is a 10 then a 20 before I start my taper for the marathon on the 18th November!  Still worried about the 5 hour cut off, I think I need to just chill out and run the first half "slow" 

I need to work out blocks of time that I can get away with for example...if I can run X amount of 10 minute miles, X amount of 11 minute miles, X amount of 12 minute miles etc....and come out with a sensible plan of action!

17/10/2012 at 15:12

5k on the "dreadmill" for me this lunchtime...32.23 so was ok.

Felt a little tired but expected that really after mondays 16.

All in all not too bad

2012 - 565.14

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.