Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,201 to 2,220 of 7,323 messages
23/10/2012 at 18:47

I just like to make sure!

23/10/2012 at 21:48

If we look at it in a slightly different light though, in some ways running tired you are replicating the last 17 miles of the marathon, not the first so I still beleive you will be fine!!!! 

23/10/2012 at 22:51

Woo hoo, not working until 5pm on Friday. First time in weeks that I've got nothing booked and that I'm not having to go in to work on at least one of my days off.

Looks like the last day of good hill climbing weather for a while, but I really fancy a lazy day. See how I feel in the morning.

3 mile off road run yesterday, 5.5 mile run today, rest day Wednesday

24/10/2012 at 09:53

yeah thats what I was aiming for Grendel *cough cough*  ha ha ha!

Ive booked friday off so I shall do a long run in the......dum dum duuuuuuuuuum!!!! Morning! 

Hopefully that will help with my time!

24/10/2012 at 13:15

Woke up to thick fog this morning and the mountain tops have only just appeared. Don't feel so bad about my lazy day now.

24/10/2012 at 19:46

HRHB, hope you enjoyed your lazy day?

B2B, running when tired teaches your body to keep going in a marathon (I don't have a clue how true that is but it sounds good enough to me)

Nice easy 5k on the treadmill tonight after work. Another easy run Friday after work.

24/10/2012 at 19:50

HRHB, hope you enjoyed your lazy day?

B2B, running when tired teaches your body to keep going in a marathon (I don't have a clue how true that is but it sounds good enough to me)

Nice easy 5k on the treadmill tonight after work. Another easy run Friday after work.

October 28.37

2012 - 343.67

26/10/2012 at 12:21

So all the talk of this cold snap and it was only -1 here last night and it's about 2 now.  Having had -7 last week I'm feeling a bit cheated!

Did a 5k tempo run yesterday with 3k at 80% and after all the steady 70% runs of the last several weeks it felt good to open the throttle up a bit. Ran at about 5:10 km instead of the 6:15 I have been averaging. Good to get some idea of where I am at.

Today I christened my new inov-8 trail shoes on the trails behind where I live. There was a bit of fresh snow down but the tracks were clear. Ran just 4km with about 2.5km of steady uphill and then 1.5km of steeper downhill over terrain with lots of rocks and tree roots. They felt very confidence inspiring but as it was dry underfoot it was not a definitive test.

I took the advice of not doing a long run in these shoes as they have only a very small heel height in comparison to normal running shoes and people have mentioned sore calves and achilles due to the difference when they started in them. Pleased to see all was fine.

26/10/2012 at 13:57

Good tempo run there HBHR, nice write up on the shoes too. I have purchase an "el cheapo" pair of karrimor trail shoes from sports direct for £20. I didn't want to splash out at the moment but have a multi terrain race Sunday and judging by the three or four runs i've had in them they will be okay. They're bloody firm though!

Nice easy 2 miles after work today, didn't feel like i needed any more than that. Will have a curry tonight and a good nights sleep before i spend most of tomorrow night waking at every hour before the race. I have decided to take it steady as i don't feel fully fit and my ankle isn't 100% either. Its for children in need though so will just enjoy a bit of different scenery and some company on my Sunday morning run.

October 30.37

2012 - 345.67

26/10/2012 at 14:06

Well done all - what race are you doing Sunday Just Run

26/10/2012 at 15:35

Hey peeps!

Some good running going on im here! Well done everyone!

Right so I took the day off of work, went to bed early in preparation for today.....then someone rang my doorbell at 3:30am!!!!!! 

Neadless to say I didnt real quite as refreshed as I would have hoped but I got ready and set out anyway.

I mapped myself out a course of 8.7 miles to replicate the marathon and calculated my water stop (I dont drink as much these days) and set off....

Felt pretty good after the first loop, second one felt more sluggish by Mr Garmin disagrees! The final mini loop I hit the wall...climbed it and found another one on the other side! 

Fortunatly for this run it was on my last mile so I picked up the pace with walking instead and just prayed for the numbers to tick by!

20 miles for me today and that puts me just over 600 for the year!! YAY!

For those who like technical stuff here is my report from Mr Garmin...

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/237197553

Just need to find another 6.2 miles from somewhere!! 

Im trying to get my first 2 laps to 1.30 each so it gives me 2 hours for the last lap

2012 - 602.14 (in your face 600! )

27/10/2012 at 15:50

theres some good miles in there B2B  well done -

28/10/2012 at 13:07

Hi everyone,

Just got back from the Colyton Fiver Multi Terrain Run. The race was (as always) run in aid of Children In Need and this years 'multi terrain' course was a little down on numbers compared to the road event I did with the wife a couple of years ago. We were there in plenty of time and my wife soon commented on how everyone arriving looked faster than us. Well, some weren't fast enough as we finished in front of over 20 of the 77 runners.

The 2 lap course started on the football pitch, went on road for about 200m and then over a small footbridge and into some lovely muddy fields, across a small river, out onto the road again for another mile or so, through another field, across another bridge and one more field before hitting the road for another half mile (ish) and then another loop, finishing back in the field where we started. A fabulous course, the sun even came out half way round and it was pretty warm. Tried to keep the pace even but probably did the first mile a little slow before passing a few runners on the second lap. A well earned bacon butty, carrot cup cake and coffee were consumed straight after the race. Will definitely do this race again next year!

Finish time: 43:57 (with the wife just behind me, although she did get her shoe stuck in the mud on the second loop so next time will be a grudge match for sure as she was not pleased to be finishing behind me!)

B2B, well done on the 20 miler!!!!! You must be extremely pleased with that? You'll be fine over that last 10k, especially with other runners around you!

October 35.37

2012 - 350.67

28/10/2012 at 19:00
Well done JR that's sounds a lot of fun! The wife will be hunting you down on the next one!

Thanks yeah feel a lot better now I have hit a 20! Taper time for me now, few short runs, one 12, then a few more little runs before the mara....

It's nice to see your miles ticking by again
29/10/2012 at 11:34

Went out to do a 5 mile run today but it turned out to be about 6.5 miles. Was supposed to be an out and back but a bridge in the distance meant I could make it into a loop, so decided to carry on.

This was my longest run to date and after looking at the stats afterwards I ran 10k in 59:46. Having only being going 2 months and this being just a steady run, I was very pleased with this time. My recovery run is 70% pace and this was about 72% so I know there is more to come when a race comes around. Dipping under the hour is a good psychological boost. When I used to run 20 years ago my 10k race pace was about 42mins, but now I'm 51 I have to be realistic of what I can get to.

Our season has now finished apart from this weekend. Off to Inverness today for a meeting tomorrow, then a couple of days around the area birdwatching. Running gear packed for a run on Wednesday.

29/10/2012 at 15:32

Well done HRHB that really good going! A sub 60 is a goal for many!

Ignore your age and go for it anyway!  try for 41.59 mins!

29/10/2012 at 16:26

Well done on your race Just Run sounds like yu had some fun on that one.

Half Runner - why at 51 have you got to be realistic - you are only a year younger than me and I am still targetting those sorts of times - my goal is to go under 30 minutes for 5 again - might not be able to do it - but will give it a go!!!! 

29/10/2012 at 18:59

Good on you HRHB, that sure is a real psychological boost knowing you'll go well under an hour in a 10k race.

Grendel, certainly enjoyed the race and will definitely do it again next year. Found my next big target. The Dalwoods 3 Hills Challenge on February 24th 2013. Approx. 10 miles of multi terrain around the beautiful challenging hills of Dalwood, between Axminster and Honiton. Will make the effort to do a few 5k park runs between now and then and try to find a 10k maybe about 6 weeks time to keep me focused. This off road stuff is so much more fun! (the wife certainly doesn't agree though!).

Nice easy 2 mile recovery run today. Felt great. Roll on Wednesday.

October 37.38

2012 - 352.68

30/10/2012 at 20:40

6.36 miles for me tonight, very cold, very sluggish and didnt really want to go to be honest.

Thought I would just keep things really slow and have a little plod, 12.30 minute mile average which included a stop at the shops for a juice and turkish delight...nom nom nom

*beeping in the background* right thats dinner ready...catch ya later peeps!

2012 - 608.40

31/10/2012 at 09:09

Turkish Delight during a training run now that is a plan!!!!

Not sure where I am so just a quick updat - 7 Sunday, REST DAY Monday (only because I spent the night at my Mum and Dads who were looking after Nathan Monday then 15 times a minute off a minute recovery Tuesday followed by a brisk (and then hard) 5 miles this morning Happy Days.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.