Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,281 to 2,300 of 7,368 messages
DB9
13/11/2012 at 21:54
Folks...work getting in the way...
Back to normality tmw hopefully.
Nice running going on and will be back then.
DB9
14/11/2012 at 12:14

Yep had a whole pizza and garlic bread last night lol! Food of champions! 

Im not going to go too nuts though as ive done the rest of the training on my "part time veggie" diet so I dont want to upset the ballance!

Going to get stuck into some chickpea, brown rice, brown pasta, beetroot etc...

14/11/2012 at 16:25

Hey peeps, last 5k for me before sunday!! 

Time now for food and rest ready for the big day!!!!!

2012 - 637.10

14/11/2012 at 16:29

Feet up and be pampered eh? 

All the training done, now the mental preperation -

enjoy the rest -

14/11/2012 at 20:10

+1 Grendel, Friday night is the night to get your sleep B2B! All the best of luck to you for Sunday!

Went out after work tonight, on a tight schedule but managed to get 4 miles in. Took the first and last half mile nice and easy with a 25:30 3 miles in between! Was aiming for 9m/m so nice to be just under and it didn't seem too harsh a pace. Had one incident along the way, it was very dark and i ran along the canal with my headtorch. Got to the point where there are a couple of tree roots with the potential to do mischief to your ankles and i was watching for them when four swans swam by and caught my eye. Just at that moment i landed on one of the roots and went over on my weak ankle. For a split second i waited for the inevitable tear of ligaments but despite the weakness in the ankle my strengthening exercises must have had an effect as i simply carried on. It did hurt, but all seems well so roll on Friday.

November 24.19

2012 - 376.97

Edited: 14/11/2012 at 20:11
15/11/2012 at 09:24

Well done and what a relief Just Run - Impressive pacing there for 3 miles -

5 miles done this morning, will really have to look at head torches - must admit down a dark countr lane this morning a cyclist with a head torch was a surreal experience, the light seemed to be attached to no one and was all over the place -

My trouble at the moment is a lot of my route is unlit so pretty much have to reign it  in a bit - speed work is out of the question as I can't even see my watch - oh well never mind run quicker sections where I am confident of my footing.

15/11/2012 at 21:09

Grendel, i have scared one or two individuals while approaching with my glaring light. I'm sure one poor chap was waiting for an alien abduction, he looked petrified. Around here wearing one is a must, with the canal next to the tow path and the alternative, country lanes with zero street lights and poor visibility. Anything other than an easy run would be impossible without my torch.  It also helps with my pacing, i'm on edge without it worried where my feet are landing. Invest in one, you won't regret it!

16/11/2012 at 09:13

Just Run, do you have a recomendation, I have seen one in Tesco for about £9-£10 is that good enough or do you need something more fancy?

5 miles done this monrning tried to run more on the road today where there were street lights but still had a couple of miles of unlit sea wall.

Oh well averaged 9:04  which was OK for a Friday morning.  My wife has finished work now until February so can increase my Monday and Friday miles slightly - although a slighlty double edged sword as Monday and Friday were my rest days (i.e) 3 miles.

Finally may not be able to get on much over the weekend so a Big Good luck to B2B in Luton on Sunday.   

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 09:19
16/11/2012 at 09:56

Thanks Grendel!

My head torch is abit like the one below, its really lightweight, the only thing for me that is a little strange is the light itself is a really tight moon on the floor...bit weird to get used too....

http://www.mindstretchers.co.uk/images/large/et04.jpg

Ive got the tesco one...brilliant light but really heavy on your head

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 09:59
16/11/2012 at 11:08

Thanks Just run, My son has a torch that doesn't run on batteries, when the light dims you just shake it in a sort of w*nking motion and it gets a brighter again - perhaps I could just sellotape it to my head - the jogging along may keep it alight.

16/11/2012 at 21:08

Grendel, this is the headtorch i use... Headtorch . It's £15, delivery is free and it does everything you need it too and a little more. Click the link and see for yourself, it's a bargain in my opinion and i know lots of runners with just this torch. Its comfortable, doesn't move about, its certainly not heavy and really does light up the trails! Buy one, you will not regret it.

Nice easy 4 miles after work today, averaged 10:07m/m which is certainly a little quicker so reckon i'm getting fitter. My legs ceratinly felt strong today.

November 28.27

2012 - 381.05

17/11/2012 at 15:12
Hi from holidaying in Portugal.
Typical weather for me with rain 3 out of 4 days and a thunderstorm yesterday.
DId my first park run before we went away and ran 26:10, which after a 300 mile drive and 3teeth out the day before I am quite happy with. Course was hilly and a steep finish. Came in 25th out of 49 and 4th M50.
Managed a few runs on holiday but not used to the heat. Still looking for good routes but its great to run in a t shirt. Can cope with 4 more weeks of this,
DB9
17/11/2012 at 20:54
Good luck tmw b2b..look forward to the report.
Too much worl and no run all week.. Back to it on Monday..
DB9
18/11/2012 at 15:10

If you are looking for a decent headtorch.  Just invested in the Gamma Headtorch sold by Alpkit, at £15. Decent light, comfortable and you can choose between flashing, constant, red or green bulbs and it has a red light on the back. Highly recommend

18/11/2012 at 16:58

Thats the one i wear BADGERSCoach, amazing value.

HRHB, glad you're enjoying your warmer climate, your parkrun time is certainly pleasing considering all the things against you.

Had to cut my long run short today as we were out all morning and my daughter had swimming at 4pm. By the time i got out i only had time for 5 miles but was pleased at how easy todays run was. Really feeling like my legs are gaining strength all the time now. Easy 3 mile run planned for tomorrow night then a harder 5 miles or so on Wednesday.

Looking forward to B2B's post mara report!

November 33.30

2012 - 386.08

18/11/2012 at 21:11
Hello all!

Head torch is a good idea, been really whimpy about actually running in the dark.

Managed my 2m run/walk and loving the wobble board, only prob is I've left loads of really obvious divots all over the living room floor..... If my other half had done that, I'd've been really hacked off

B2b, hope your race went well....
19/11/2012 at 09:11

Hey peeps!

Quick report and ill catch up later....

Mara done!! Drum roll please...........4.45.46!!  

Happy happy bunny! 

My achilles is hurting alot today but my feet held up really well, got some very strange looks and alot of questions on my choice of footwear ha ha ha!

The Ultra in May feels like a looooong way at the moment but I still have 6 months to get comfy at longer stuff.

The course was ever so slightly longer (26.385) than a normal mara, glad I trained on the hills that I did as the course almost replicated my training runs!

Thanks to everyone on here for the support along the way!

2012 - 663.48

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 09:12
19/11/2012 at 10:05

You know what I think already, now a few days rest. did you wear your sandals in the end? 

19/11/2012 at 10:27

Yep!! I think my mum will probably upload some pictures today!

I got a few blisters but not where I was expecting them! Overall my feet are in much better condition than I thought they were going to be, in fact they are in much better condition than they were after Hellrunner last year after half the distance!

My achilles is really not nice though...need to look into how to preserve that longer.

Everything else aches but no more than any other long run, need to work on hips and groin a little so its back to form again to work out the kinks...

19/11/2012 at 13:04

Wearing the sandals may have contributed to the achilles problem - now what I would do is to try and raise your heels up just enough to shorten the tendon and stop it pulling - I got some wedges from the chemist that fit under the insole of my trainers - soemtimes by stopping them puliing recovery can be speeded up.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.