Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,381 to 2,400 of 7,089 messages
01/01/2013 at 18:28
Can I join this forum? After today's run I'm going to do the half hour running plan on the first page, with a view to following this with a 16 week marathon plan. Hoping this is achievable.

I've just been out for my first run since the Stroud HM on 21 Oct. I finished that in 2.31, which I'm proud of, but I've let myself go since. I'm back up to my near 17st start weight (I'm 6'2) but I'm heavy build. . Today's run was 2 miles is 25.36

Just need to motivate myself to go out again after what I class as a poor start.
01/01/2013 at 21:57
Hope you all had a fab xmas and new year! Sorry gone Awol again still no laptop so kinda hard to get on.

Haven't been out in weeks fue to the cold i had wouldnt go away. But managed today after thinking i was better the last few days. Managed 2.45 miles, first mile was ok then starte coughing and couk feel some gunk still left from cold. So walked back home. Atleast better than none
01/01/2013 at 23:34

Hi all and happy new year,

Several weeks since I have posted, but it doesn't mean I haven't been running. Had 6 weeks in Portugal and managed to run about 4 times a week in pleasant conditions. Got back mid December then lost several days when I had a dental implants fitted. You know its going to be a bad one when its a 2 and a half hours apppointment and you walk in to the surgery to see 3 people in surgical gowns. Finished with 6 stitches, bone implanted in my jaw and a bill for over 2K. 3 months time go back to have the rest of the work done and an even bigger bill.

Finished the year with 212 miles under my belt after starting in mid September. My best 10k was 55.09 and 5k of 25:22. After not running for 20 years and now being a supervet I'm very happy with this.

First run of the year today and very happy with a 6.6 mile run in 57:25, which included my 10k time being 54:13 which is a new best. Intending to do a parkrun on Saturday and hope to beat my best time then as well. Also a first race for my wife who is hoping for around 32 mins.

My goals for 2013 are to do 1000 miles, though being in the Cairngorms I could easily lose a few weeks if the snow and ice stop me.

I am aiming to  do the Inverness half marathon in mid March and a few 10k's. Possible marathon in the Autumn but might be spring 2014 race instead. I would rather feel I can do myself justice rather than just get round. Main aim is to keep injury free.

Hope everyone on the forum keeps running and enjoying it. 

01/01/2013 at 23:47
Welcome back Beachball, bananas and HRHB!
Welcome Steve Taylor!

Some good plans there peeps! Glad to see people coming back to the thread!
HRHB - That sounds like my worst nightmare! :O

Hope you all are well and ill catch up properly tomorrow!
02/01/2013 at 10:08
I've calmed down now after my negative self got on here yesterday lol. As long as I'm ready and able to do Chester in October, who cares how fast I get round. Next official race for me is the Silverstone HM on March 3rd at the moment.
02/01/2013 at 12:41

Good stuff!! Just focus on one race at a time and you will find you may just surprise yourself! March is a good target, remember to take your training plan as a guide and if you feel tired take a rest...people underestimate how important rest is!  

Most of all remember to have fun and smile! Why else do we run?!

02/01/2013 at 12:49

Welcome to Steve and hello B2B and welcome back HRHB and Bananas - Happy New Year one and all -

Steve we have all got quite a lot of inspriation and support on here so feel free to join in, disapear and return whenever yuou need to - keep the updates coming.

Took a week off over Christmas and shifted the cough - and this week am only doing 3 miles per day - will increase that to 4 next week - and then it is 12 weeks to the Braintree 5 and the preperation starts in earnest - ended up running 1506 miles last year so my target has to be 1507 this, plus to lose some more weight which I need to do to attack my 30 minute target in October (I know I won't do it BUT if I fall short of the stars I have reached the moon.

02/01/2013 at 12:54

Have at it Grendel!!! Im sure you can do it!

02/01/2013 at 14:16

DOne it many times a lomg time ago - I need a goal thats all so as I said may as well shoot for the stars (isn't that a song?)

02/01/2013 at 16:14
My missus just said she wants to go on holiday. Maybe there's a chance of a European marathon this year after all....
02/01/2013 at 20:05
I've calmed down now after my negative self got on here yesterday lol. As long as I'm ready and able to do Chester in October, who cares how fast I get round. Next official race for me is the Silverstone HM on March 3rd at the moment.
03/01/2013 at 00:16

First run of the year and I went too hard!! ooops!

Smashed out a really quick (for me anyway) 5k then turned around and trotted back slower than I have in a very long time!

Really really should have done that the other way around, Achilles on THE OTHER LEG hurts at the moment....what a dick lol!

Not sure if it was just the unexpected speed or my new calf compression gear, im guessing the speed! Ive not really done any speed work for a long time.

Time to back it off and try again in small bursts not 5k at a time pffft!

I dont want a 25 minute 5k that much I would rather not have the injuries and be able to run crazy far rather than fast thank you!

Back to not being stupid and sticking to the plan!

Focus idiot!

2013 - 6.14

03/01/2013 at 13:59

hey peeps just a quick one...went to the gym at lunch today for some balance training and stretches then had a 0.5k trot to see how the achilles is....hmm needs a little rest me thinks

03/01/2013 at 18:54

Evening all

Who oh why did I sto my comeback 4 months ago !! Was going fine then just stopped

Now decide to get back into it and its murder !! Stupid distance in stupid time tonight could have walked quicker

03/01/2013 at 19:33

WoW a lot of injuries, I am by nature a Judo player and Wrestler. Injuries are part of the sport. But the difference between a runner and a Combat specalist we just dont talk about them and I think our pain fresh holds are higher. 

I am new to running and if I am honest I had a few injuries but they certainly not been the pain I felt in combat sports. 

Or better still I have been sensiable or have the biomechanics not to get the terrible injuries you have all experienced. 

At the running club I have joined I have never heard of a runner who not running with an injury. 

Its not just my club, every time I hear someone chatting how their training going they all have said they just getting over an injury. I have never heard an injury free runner yet. Are you out there 

03/01/2013 at 23:20
You may have to hunt for a while!
The thing is we are never shown how to run properly hence the injuries! Most are bad form or just over use...mine for instance was just completing my first marathon having a break over Christmas then trying to run like I was on fire! I knew it was a dumb idea and did it anyway!
04/01/2013 at 10:06

I think most athletes/runners do tend to carry injuries, for me they are to be ignored - two extra strong asprin before I go out and off I go - (can honestly say I have not taken a day off in the last 2 years through an ache or pain)  Looking back between 1987 and 1999 I missed 4 weeks through injury - and ran a 75 minute half marathon PB with plantar facisitis - Yes I may have a lower pain threshold than a judo player or someone who plays wrestling but I certainly don't stop running because of an injury.

Been running 3 miles a day this week after my week off (not through injury I might add but just to rest - even Mo Farrah took  some time off after the Olympics) I am just increasing the pace a bit now - Another week then I start to build up for the Braintree 5 - in APril which is the Essex Champs so better get my skates on and enter.   (not wuite a 50 miler B2B but a target none the less.

(not running tomorrow as we are off to the British Museum and an early start called for)  

04/01/2013 at 11:18

Its a great target as speed is your thing!! Any idea on target time yet?

Got my calf compression on today, seems to be doing the trick!

hmm should be doing a 16 tomorrow, might just dial it down to a 10 instead for a "rest" and bin the sunday 6 that way I should be pretty fresh for next week

04/01/2013 at 11:55

No the target for the Braintree 5 is for a starting again at the beginning PB so anything under 39:28!!!!  (may look at doing the Victora Park 5 up at Bethnal Green instead - very flat very fast - a PB course. (why does the British Museum appear as a link?)

04/01/2013 at 13:09

Hello Grendel3 and Back2basic, It comes up because it part of the net as a known world. I think it is wise to rest. It seems what what most people get wrong in running. Judo and Wrestling are forced rests really. Because if you go on the mats knackered you get battered so that may be the difference I think. 

Actually I wish I had taken up running years ago now, it is a better atmosphere and a great way to meet people. I would love to do a some great times but I am keeping it safe at the moment learning from other people experience from running that the benifit of starting late. Learn from others. 

This week  from Monday I done 25 miles with a rest day. I doing my first park run tomorrow in Bolton for the experience, I wont go eyeballs out as I do not know the route and I have never raced a 5k but at least it gets me on the starting blocks. 

Sometime this month I am hoping to log a 10k run too. 

As they say keep running but keep it safe and healthy  it better to run to have fun that break doing a PB. Well that my view and maybe that why I dont have any decent times yet.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.