Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,401 to 2,420 of 7,319 messages
04/01/2013 at 13:41

Did a nice steady 4 miler yesterday in unseasonably warm weather. 9 degrees in the Cairngorms in January is far from the norm, but making the best of non icy or snowy roads. Glenshee ski resort just up the road but at 2500' is 6 degrees and the snow has thawed so much that there is no skiing. 

Was intending to do the Aberdeen Parkrun on Saturday with my wife but she has been up half the night with a bad tummy bug. Maybe we will go next week instead.

04/01/2013 at 13:58

Grendel - oooo thats pretty quick! Im sure you can do it!!!

TR - Well done on logging 25 miles thats good going! Keep it up and we look forward to your future posts of speedy glory!

HRHB - ooo toasty lol! Hope your wife gets better soon!

04/01/2013 at 14:33

Hello everyone, looks like the threads buzzing for the new year.

3:30 … must have just missed you while typing! Welcome back ‘New Runner’. You didn’t give up, it was just a short break! Good on you for giving it another go.

B2B, this thread is only as good as the people on it, which makes it great! I will have to add a few more things to my ‘to do’ list now that I’ve read yours. Get that Achilles looked at if it gives you any more grief, probably just went a little too quick so fingers crossed.

Beachball!!!!!!! Welcome back to the thread! Nice to see we have a great team to start 2013 with on this thread.

STEVE TAYLOR, welcome aboard. Anything is possible, even a marathon. Keep posting on the thread and let us know how its going, you’ll find lots of helpful advice, and plenty of inspiration to keep you on the right track. I’d have quit long ago if it wasn’t for this thread.

Hope you’re feeling 100% real soon bananas. I know how you feel having to miss your running due to the dreaded Christmas illness.

HRHB, no need to rub it in with your warm winter runs lol. Nice to hear that you got to run in such pleasant surroundings while the rest of us ran in the dark! Well done on the new 10k best too! All the best for 2013, I like your ‘staying injury free’ idea, sounds good. Hope the wife is well soon.

Traveling runner, welcome to the thread, are you male or female? J

Nice easy 2.64 miles this morning at ……… 5am! Finally got an early one in for the first run of the year. Another run planned for Sunday morning before setting my alarm early again Monday. Have a good weekend all.

2013 – 2.64

05/01/2013 at 20:38

As our intended Parkrun was abandoned due to my wife being ill I opted for a 4 mile off road run round our local hill today and really enjoyed the technical sections. This hill Creag Coinnich is the site of the oldest recorded fell run in the UK, dating back around 900 years.

I settled for going round it, not yet up to going up it whilst running. There is a race from the village to the top and back in July, maybe I will give it a go.

Thanks for the good wishes to my wife she is feeling a bit better but has hardly eaten for 2 days. Apparently there were over 20,000 people in Scotland got this bug in December alone.

06/01/2013 at 01:04

HalfRunner

Am from Scotland as well where do you stay?

06/01/2013 at 09:51

HalfRunner, That sounds like a lovely tough run. You've got to give it a go!

Nice slow 5 miles this morning. Thought about taking the flat route but its so boring so went around the lanes, taking in a couple of hills that had my hands on my thighs at the peak. Got a bit of a head cold and definitely felt it today but as always feel ten times better now i've run.

Off to watch my daughter play football this afternoon, will use that as an excuse not to wash the car. My eldest lads team, which I coach, won 7-2 yesterday to get them off to a flyer for the new year. They have a cup match next week against the league leaders who have won all twelve games, scoring 100 goals in the process. We are also unbeaten, dropping just two points so i'm well aware what i'm going to hear about for the next 6 days.

Grendel.....did you see the mighty Chelsea yesterday?

2013 - 7.64

06/01/2013 at 16:59

Hey peeps, felt a little under the weather today so just headed out for a nice easy "whatever" run.

Found a REALLY REALLY wet muddy field and had to take off my sandals and barefoot across it as the sandals were sticking to the floor!

Got to around 3 maybe 3 and a half miles and my achillies was starting to twinge a little so I looped around and headed home for a 5 mile finish.

Not quite as much as I was hoping for but figured it was better to cut the run short then have to have time off.

Still a little tender at the moment, might have a look into getting a sports massage as I think it may not actually be my achillies as such more like tight calf muscules causing achillies pain.

Oh well over 10 for the year so far lol!

2013 - 11.14

06/01/2013 at 17:24

B2B, do you do any stretches on your achilles? After each run i do 15 stair drops and that seems to keep it in check.

07/01/2013 at 00:17
I have been yeah, might add the stair drops though and see if it helps
07/01/2013 at 09:27
Happy New Year everyone!

Haven't been on for a while but have been out for the run/walks and (touch wood) seems to be going well. Even went out for run on NYs day which is a lifetime first! I have an unashamedly low pain threshold, I tend to stop as soon as I feel any negative tweaks. Do I have unrealistic expectations of pain free running?!

Anyway, 10wks to go till my race, so all seems doable still

B2B did your marathon go well?
07/01/2013 at 11:47
Hi Gammineez! Yeah really well thank you! 4.45.46 finish so I was pretty happy with that! I think you can have pain free running but there is certainly a level of discomfort along the way as your body and muscles adjust and adapt.
As you run more you will (hopefully) be able to tell what is "acceptable" discomfort and pain.
Stopping every time there is a twinge is hard to say as no one but you knows how that twinge felt, you could be doing exactly the right thing, on the other hand stopping at every twinge will slow down your progress
07/01/2013 at 14:05
At the moment I am so happy to be running at all, I've had so many false dawns that I guess I just don't want to mess it up! My race is a 10k with 30 obstacles so I reckon I'm not going to run more than 3-400m before I will have to do an obstacle! So I reckon the run walk is ok and I've been doing circuits and strength stuff which seems to be helping. Fingers crossed....

Congrats on that marathon, have you got the bug?
07/01/2013 at 18:46

Hi Gammineez, Happy New Year to you. I guess only you can decide if the twinge needs attention. As you become more experienced i think you recognise the things that can be ignored and the things that require a step back.

Got up at 5am again today for a nice easy 3 miles. It was very mild but i chucked on my football jacket to try and sweat this cold out a little more. Its certainly nice to have the evening free with my run done!

2013 - 10.64 - 10 miles up for the year!

07/01/2013 at 21:17
Hi Just Run,
I think you and B2B are right, I'm v.wary of knee twinges but other things may be ok. Just done a box fit class so can hardly move my arms but planning to ease towards 5k tomorrow. So if anyone sees a runner out, going quite slowly with arms flapping around as helpfully as Orville's wings when trying to take off, then that's me....

5am's a bit keen.....there's that low pain threshold again!
08/01/2013 at 11:09
Gammineez - yeah got the bug in a big way! Got my sights on my first Ultra in may!
Not been for another run yet as I was in hospital yesterday for a small procedure, resting up to start properly next week
Edited: 08/01/2013 at 17:49
08/01/2013 at 17:49

One week into the new year and 3 sub 2 mile runs complete.

Working my way back in gently and Jesus does it hurt!

Make sure you do rest then b2b.

Just run- yes looks a good team we have here at the moment. Just like the mighty Chels

Keep up the good work all.

2013 - 5.86

09/01/2013 at 09:29

Gradually building back up after the week I took off over Christmas,  training starts in earnest next week for the Braintree 5 – a 12 week schedule –

Ran 3 miles a day last week, have upped that to 4 miles a day this week (although I did accidently run 5 on Tuesday – first time out in the head torch so all good!!!!

12 times a minute this morning off a minute recovery walk -  which I found quite hard, I do have a slight twinge in my left hamstring but manageable. Still very dark first thing but the head torch is a revelation – I saw a guy who normally walks 4 greyhounds this morning and since yesterday he has obviously thought it was a good idea and gone out and bought one!!!!!

Good running everyone especially yuou BeachBall - all we need now is for Thomas and Moonlight and Sue to return!!!!

Happy Days

09/01/2013 at 13:57

Then we will have a full house again!!

Still resting after monday, seem to have picked up a little bug alone the way.

Oh well, lots of water and rest it is then!

Starting to get itchy feet! Cant wait to start cranking those miles up again!

09/01/2013 at 14:25

Hi,  think this thread sounds like me!

After throwing the towel in 2 years ago (at 30) after numerous injuries, I got up on sat and thought sod it i'll give it one last roll of the dice and do the Belfast marathon.  4 miles around the forest and i felt great, bit tender Mon though! 

Just need to keep it going now, its hard though, how the hell did i do it before??

Good luck to all in the same boat!!

09/01/2013 at 14:37

Welcome - feel free to join in.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.