Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,421 to 2,440 of 6,093 messages
09/01/2013 at 16:44

Out on Monday doing a 5 miler with 3 x 1 mile at around 5k pace and all was well. Then on the slow jog back home a tweak from the calf. Walked home but pain got worse over the day so put ice on it and have rested it since. First injury since I started back in early September.

Seemed OK this morning so a cautious half run half run for a couple of miles and just a dull ache by the end. Out again on Friday and hopefully all well by then.

I was intending to sign up for the Inverness half marathon in March, but I will wait a few more days before commiting myself.

Putting some plans together for the year to keep me motivated. Not easy to fit in races as I normally work weekends.

Looking at the Balmoral 10k in May

Tempted by the Creag Coinnich hill race in July. The oldest fell run on record. Starts in the village, straight up the local hill and back, winning time about 15 minutes. They also have a x-country race of about 5 miles.

Possibly the local half marathon (half Braemarathon) in September if they run it again.

Finally the Valencia Marathon in Spain in November. Something to look forward to for next Winter, a marathon and holiday in the sun away from the Scottish cold.

09/01/2013 at 21:18
Sounds like a wonderful plan!
11/01/2013 at 09:55

Sounding pretty good there Half Runner - especially finishing the year in the sun!!!!!  a lot of hard work to be done then!!!!

5 miles run this morning thorugh the fog and wearing my head torch - my new best friend.

The 12 week schedule starts on Monday.

11/01/2013 at 14:50

aaargh, its all gone pear shaped.

Following on from my calf woes from Monday. On Wednesday I did just a light walk / jog and seemed OK, yesterday was out and about around Aberdeen all day and did not feel a thing. So I decided to go out for an easy couple of miles today and didn't even get 50 yards and the pain was back as bad as it was on Monday. Turned round and hobbled back home. I thought I was going to be OK, maybe a bit achey, but I certainly wasn't expecting to break down so quickly.

Not sure what to do now, I guess I will have to stop for a week and see how it goes from there. I think that rules out the half Marathon in March, at least I had not yet applied for a place.

11/01/2013 at 18:07

Missed Wednesdays run due to my cold getting a little worse but okay now. Went out for a very short run after work today just to blow the cobwebs away but went at a decent clip and even went sub 7 at one point. Averaged 8:13 pace, which I reckon I could have a go at over 5k, maybe next Friday i'll give it a go. Want to have a time to sync with my training runs and the flat canal path is an ideal place to do it. Nice slow 10k (ish) planned Sunday. Will catch up with you all Sunday evening.

2013 - 12.15

11/01/2013 at 18:10
HRHB that sucks. But if the March half doesn't work out, you'll have time to sort things out for Valencia and things may look a whole lot different after a weeks rest.
Fingers crossed for you.
12/01/2013 at 10:54
Morning everyone,

Just managed to run/ walk my first 5k since before I had kids 8 years ago, in 35minutes ! Knees ok, just starting to twinge down outside at finish but ok. Fingers crossed.

HRHB hope your leg feeling a bit better today
13/01/2013 at 11:13

Not feeling so bad today about not being able to run. Its 0 degrees at 11:00am with snow settling at the moment, with more snow due tomorrow as well. After that its not forecast to be above -2 and lows of -7 for a few days. Up the road at Glenshee ski resort its showing highs of -7 and lows of -10. In the wind it could feel as low as -17. Still a long way to go to our village record of -27.2.

Goof work Gammineez, thats not a bad time all things considered. How about entering a Parkrun, they are good fun and free. There will be people there with slower times than that, so no need to worry about being last.

13/01/2013 at 17:54
-27.2!!! That's worthy of Finland!

Will have a think about a park run. Not worried about coming last, in my early teens I did a lot of club running. I used to come last in the track 800/1500 regularly (never could break the 3min/6minute barrier) I chose to believe that it built moral resolve ....but the middle distance/cross country stuff with the fields of 100+ you were pretty safe in the middle of the pack.

I lied earlier, I did the race for life in June last year with my daughter(7). She went off like a rocket, my speedy, marathon running sister caught her at the 1K mark, then she ran with me till she burnt out at 2K. I then had to piggy back her to the finish....apart from the last 100m where she ran again (like a rocket) and finished ahead of me, looking v.fresh, me looking like I'd just piggy-backed a seven year old for 3 miles! So I don't count that one....

Went out again today, all good, I think
14/01/2013 at 16:57

12 weeks schedule started this morning, easy 3 mile run, so 4.38 miles done with a schedules rest day tomorrow (yeah thats right - will run an easy 5 miles in the morning snow allowing.

Will catch up later

14/01/2013 at 19:57

Will also catch up later. Up at 5am for an almost 4 mile run. Lovely clear sky.

2013 - 16.04

15/01/2013 at 09:03

Hey peeps! Freekin cold down here!! Went to the gym on my way home and did a very gentle 5k followed by some balance training then a 6k cycle.

Achillies didnt really like it that much but thats just tough! 

Picked up a leaflet for deep tissue massage which maybe investigated!

Anyone had a deep tissue kicking before and did it help?

2013 - 14.24

15/01/2013 at 09:23

Even I'm not doing the 5 am stuff Just Run!!!!  5:40 well early enough for me.

Hopefully you can get that achilles sorted - is it runable B2B?

Well as predicted a nice easy 5 miles for my rest day today - the snow that had fallen in the night had all but gone leaving a clear black sky - a (I think) northerly wind - felt slightly underdressed in the wind bl**dy cold but once I turned towards home warmed up nicely and enjoyed the run.

Good day folks

15/01/2013 at 12:39

Grendel - Its borderline, I think I can still do small stuff and take it slow but running outside at the mo is just too slippery! My achillies is creaking!!  Need to look into it a little and find a fix...

15/01/2013 at 18:15

Gammineez, set that alarm for 5am and get out there! In fact, I reckon everyone should try it at least once. It will set you up for the day Well done on your 5k, perhaps you could include some piggy backs as part of your training J

Beachball, you’ll soon be back in the groove, the January challenge is running again, fancy joining us in February ?

Glad you like the headtorch Grendel, god knows how I ever managed without one! An absolute bargain.

B2B, I know how you feel. I had a cold last week but shifted it now and really looking forward to increasing the miles and making it out there on a much more regular basis. If I can get used to these 5am runs in January then getting up early in spring will be a doddle. I would say its cold here too but just read halfrunners post and decided its very mild here indeed. BIG thumbs up for deep tissue massage, it definitely sorts out the boys from the men.

Coldeane, welcome to the thread. You’re in the right place here, you’ll find plenty of inspiration and help to keep you going.

Halfrunner, have you seen a physio? Fingers crossed for you as that’s a proper plan you have there. I really need to get myself organised and have a proper plan mapped out. Some things may not be achievable or need to be revised but if I don’t give myself a target soon it will be a struggle to keep going. Good luck

Grendel, I read your post and thought I’d best get myself a schedule sorted. Need to find my first race though as the one I was hoping to do doesn’t have a date yet and its usually run in April! Anyway, 4ish miles planned for tomorrow at 5am. It WILL be cold!

15/01/2013 at 18:48
Hey everyone, whooo laptop is being fixed ao i can finally get back here more often.

Quick update made 2miles solid last week whoop normally always jog/walk and hopefully this means progress. Finding just going for a run much easier than doing intervals. Found my pace at 14min miles and going to keep to this till it feels comfortable and i can keep the miles steady while i move up.

In the spring i will be putting in hill work and stuf so may help with stamina. At the moment its about doing the miles not speed this can come later but for now just want to run steady

Half runner - where abouts are yiu im south of stonehaven. Got some snow and its a bit chilly

Alana
15/01/2013 at 22:59

Don't feel too bad about not being able to run at present as we have icy paths and have just been on the national forecast as currently the coldest place in the UK at -11, and expected to get down to -15. Leg has felt OK and I did a 4 mile walk yesterday, aiming to try a run on Friday before we get more snow. Fingers crossed for more than 50 yards this time.

B2B - had a deep tissue session a few years back and its damn painful, I'm sure she was just sticking her elbow in to my leg as hard as she could. Can't say it did much for me.

Bananas - I'm down the way in Braemar.

16/01/2013 at 06:21

Well done Bananas, thats certainly progress. Build that running base up nice and steady and you'll be just fine. Good on you

Halfrunner, sounds like an ideal time to take a rest!

Run done for the day, just over 3 miles. Bit chilly this morning, even had my track bottoms on.

2013 - 19.11

16/01/2013 at 09:32

My run done too out at 5:45 so way after you JR!!!! - it was only -4 with slight snow flurries so pretty summery here too!!!!  5 miles fartlek (need some track bottoms though)

16/01/2013 at 09:40

Hi all anyone remember me ?

Running gone totally - you may recall I was on the comeback trail with grand ideas of maybe doing a marathon again one day - was going well (3 mile runs around 9 mins pace) but the stopped for no reason other than laziness and bad weather

Went out one last Thursday and managed 1.66 miles in 20 mins - then gave up again. But gotta get out weight is piling on and there are other issues I am sure could be adressed with loosing a bit of weight

So as I am only going for 20 mins will squeeze in during lunch. As my wife says if you let bad weather stop you living in Scotland (as does HRHB) I would never do anything !!

Paltry mileage but hope you dont mind me postiung here - no running buddies so this is a like a virtual running club !!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.