Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,441 to 2,460 of 7,368 messages
16/01/2013 at 13:08

Welcome back 3:30 it is hard to get out in this weather and if you are up in Scotland even harder.

16/01/2013 at 17:09

I cant complain about the weather really its only -1 around here 

MAY attempt to head out tonight and wrap up loads!

16/01/2013 at 18:21

Welcome back 3:30. You're not the only one to fall off the wagon! I have had various breaks along the way but it's good to know this thread is here to get you back on track. Maybe finding a race in a couple of months time will help get you out the door. That's my plan anyway. Grendel, i think it may be time to buy a pair of proper running tights. They will remain under my shorts or running trousers though! I am not built like a kenyan and they are not a good look!

17/01/2013 at 09:11

ok it was naffin cold last night and I was a little worried about my chest so just went home and "fixed" my mobile  its now unlocked and rooted!

NERD! ha ha ha

On the other side of things, my achillies is feeling alot better from all the walking to and from work so thats great!

ha ha ha @ the running tights! Yeah I tend to put shorts over the top to....well....hide the budgie! 

17/01/2013 at 10:27

Welcome back 3:30

B2B - Cool, My Husbands Sister lives in between Ballater and Braemar u by the Crathes School almost. When ever we visit it is bolltic! Would hate to run up there unless its summer. And thats someone who loves winter lol

Im hooping if it does snow then can get out before it ices over, once the ice hits its a lot harder. Really should invest in running grips but then would have to run on only snow or Ice and some paths do defrost cos of the gritters.

My laptop is up and running now Yay! I can finally get back onto uploading my garmin work outs and seeing my progress on a map Simple things hey!

Hubby and I are all signed up for the half again in Sept - Cant wait!! Want to be able to run a lot of it and the miles are slowly increasing with me be able to run it fully xxx Have a great day!

17/01/2013 at 12:58

So after a week off to let the calf recover and having done two quite hilly 4 mile walks in the snow with no problem I went for a run this morning. Managed about a quarter of a mile and it went again (better than the 50 yards last time). 

Limped home then went to see the quack. Torn calf muscle fibres so rest for 2 to 3 weeks was his opinion. Its really annoying being able to walk fine and can go up and down flights of steps fine but can't run. Thats the Inverness half marathon in March scrapped.

17/01/2013 at 13:58

Hi all. Would like to join in if I may. Bit of history for you all if anyone interested - female, 48, mum to Lulu (my dog) and an expert at thinking a good run just not getting myself out the door to actually execute the running anymore. Got into running again in 2011 after dropping 2.5 stone and got a few races under my belt. Times 1 44 for half in Leicester, 3 58 Edinburgh (I was predicted to do around 4 30 so chuffed to bits with that time), The Grizzly 4 34 with strapped up knee and various 5s and 10ks at around 8 min mile pace. But, that was back in the day as they say and ever since Edinburgh I seem to have lost the impetus to road run. Tell myself its because of a knee injury I had and repetition of running on roads puts it out again after about 6 miles but it is a weak excuse. I have been going to old school circuit classes at least twice a week and for the last month running on treadmill in the gym doing 8 - 10k but do want to race again this year so know i have to get outdoors again really. I was/am a member of local running club but difficult for me to get there on time because of work so really on me tod. I have this dream of doing something really special by the time I'm 50 (she whispers: an ironman) but as I can just about save myself from drowing as far as swimming goes, I may have to rethink this dream and maybe go for an endurance distance race, possibly multi terrain but with natures obstacles and ot bails of hay on fire and skips full of ice runs. So, what do you think - do you reckon with some support I can get my sorry self back out there?  

17/01/2013 at 13:59

HRHB - So sorry for you that sucks!!! hmm with that said you could always speed walk it!! 

17/01/2013 at 14:12

Lulusmum - welcome and HELL YES!! Stick with us and we will shove you along the way!  "Join the Ultra side Luke" 

Ive got my first Ultra in May, Ultras are my dream! Not really sure why, I guess there is just something about the word "Ultra" that attracts my attention! I just want to push my own boundries and see how far I can go...

May is the NDW50 and im thinking about the London to Brighton in September, next year I think I would like to do the "Wall run" and MAYBE try a 100

17/01/2013 at 17:05

Me again. Forgot to mention my target which is a 10k sub 50 (49 59 would do) and the race is on 17 March using Runners World smartcoach schedule..

17/01/2013 at 17:13

Thanks for the welcome B2B. Am impressed with your target. If I manage to do as I hope for 10k then I am seriously going to think of training to go long. Likewise not sure why the ultra is appealing other than the pure acheivement of covering extreme distances. Inspired to start straight away but barely able to walk upright on roads and paths around here right now so am off to circuits and then will follow that with 5 miles on the treadmill as long as the snow holds off and I can drive. In Northamtonshire so due to get dumped on apparently tomorrow but flakes in the air already and as I'm at the bottom of a hill I need to be cautious (that and I run better than I handle the car apparently!). Good luck with your training, will watch for your progress with interest and for inspiration.

17/01/2013 at 17:29

For REAL inspiration check out the book "born to run" if you havnt already read it

17/01/2013 at 19:25

Opps Sorry my last post was meant to address Half runner - got myself mixed up there

17/01/2013 at 19:27

Welcome Lulu

17/01/2013 at 21:21

Welcome aboard Lulusmum, the Grizzly is on my bucket list! Hoping to get reasonably fit this year and get an entry in for 2014. I would love to do a sub 50 10k and I too dream of doing an ironman one day, and an ultra, but have yet to do a mara so a way to go yet. If your knee is a persistent problem then off road or multi terrain races may be a better option. I know you have to be careful with your footing etc but they’re much more fun than road races. You will not lack support on this thread.

Halfrunner, that’s such a shame. At least it’s just a short lay off though and an easy injury to recover from. You’ll be back in no time at all! Good luck

B2B, I’m currently reading ‘running with the kenyans’, one to add to your list if you haven’t already read it. Almost finished, a very hard book to put down.

5am run planned for tomorrow……that would make it three this week.

17/01/2013 at 22:34

Thanks for the hellos Just Run and Bananas. Just Run - had amazing time at The Grizzly and had entered for this year but as training behind schedule have given up the place. Would really recommend as one to cross of your list. Enjoy your 5am run

Have read Born to Run (twice) and just finished Andy Holgate's Can't Swim, Can't Run, Can't Ride:My journey from Common Man to Iron Man which nurtured my Ironman seed that little bit more. Will look out for Running with the Kenyans. 

18/01/2013 at 09:26

JR - Yeah ive read it, great book! Really enjoyed that one and was quite sad to finish it!  

No Probs Bananas! 

Lulusmum - Its a wonderful book! Ive read about 10 running books now, Born to Run is my benchmark

Left work last night and it was surprisingly warm, calm before the storm I think!

Jogged a mile home to test the ol` legs, all felt good. Put on my thermal leggings, jogging bottoms, thermal tec top, tec t, buff, cold killer gloves, hat and wait for it....................socks!!! sandal faux pas!?  

Headed out at a really slow pace which I thought I would just keep and let the miles tick by, 1.5 miles later and my feet were really uncomfortable and on fire! Removing the socks fixed the problem and off I went.

At 3 miles I went over a mental checklist....keep going was the feedback but be sensible.

5 miles was the turn around point, crunchy peanut butter clif bar was very well received   got to around 6.5 miles and my feet were still toasty but my hands were frozen even in my cold killers!! There was only one solution!

Now armed with my new "sock mittens"  they warmed up by around a mile later and stayed nice and toasty all the way home!! WIN!

Trotted home for a 10 mile finish with an average of just under 13 minute mile.....gently does it! 

Picked up a few blisters on the way from using five fingers on that 5k during the week but nothing I cant handle.

Going to maybe add a nice leather topper to my sandals to help keep the blisters at bay but might flip the leather over to the "grippy" side.

This thread is skipping alone nicely now eh?!

2013 - 24.24

Edited: 18/01/2013 at 09:33
18/01/2013 at 10:26

So cold this morning, even in my thicker rain jacket, the wind from the north or somewhere. It was do cold, at one point my vision was blurry, I was starting to worry about hyperthermia, and wondering how long I would last until my frozen body was found half eaten by starving foxes. Will have to be more careful in future how I dress, my glasses are a must!! 5 miles run.

Welcome to Lulusmum, B2B is a fund of information regarding ultra running. But at 48 you do seem to have some good basic speed too so who knows what you could achieve!!!

18/01/2013 at 10:49

Grendel -  bad times!!! Blurry vision?! That's some cold ass run!!!

My information may not be right of coarse but I have a lot of it ha ha ha!

18/01/2013 at 13:15

The blurred vision was cured as soon as I got home and put my glasses on.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.