Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,481 to 2,500 of 7,321 messages
21/01/2013 at 11:17

Ok that seems a little more friendly but I cant seem to add a background to the right hand side?! Tried most of the filters and with the black text its now easier to read.

What do you think HRHB?

21/01/2013 at 13:09

Hello Mick you OK?

All to technical for me this website stuff!!

Mangaged a 5 mile run Saturday (schedule said 3) so was happy with that and did 7 yesterday - the schedule said 6! didn't really feel like it to be honest - so felt I was up for a 3 so I ran 3 miles out in one direction and turned for home - ended up with the 7 by detouring on the run home. Snow came down shortly after that and the schedule said rest day today - so guess what a rest day it is!!! I wasn't sure how it was going to be whether all the snow had frozen - could have run after all but I guess the rest wil do me good?   Will get out tomorrow but the two times 10 minutes tempo runs may have to be put on hold!!! Good running everyone - be safe and take care in the snow.

21/01/2013 at 13:42

Well done Grendel, how are you still running in the snow? Do you have clear pathways over there?

Hi Mick hows it going?

21/01/2013 at 15:43

We only had snow after my run yesterday so it hasn't been an issue yet as I decided against running this morning in case it had all frozen - I tend to either run on the sea wall which might be pants tomorrow, or more likely stick to running in the road against the traffic ready to leap on to the pavement or verge as the roads are not that busy at stupid o'clock.

21/01/2013 at 16:36

ah man so jealous! The pathways here are mashed!

Edited: 21/01/2013 at 18:09
22/01/2013 at 12:03

Hi all - hope you are all managing in the snow. We had another  major dump of snow overnight and its now up to about knee deep. The car was due its MOT today so I had to dig my way out. Fortunately under the trees it wasn't so deep, but we still had about 30 metres to dig out. Guess its going to be a while before they clear the 5 miles to the ski centre. 

B2B - The site looks better now. Not used blogger but I'm assuming there is a transparency filter for the background somewhere in the settings. 

22/01/2013 at 12:18

yeah I was fishing around but cant seem to change it just yet! Will work on it some more.

I hit 100 views yesterday! Its only been up since Friday, checked today and I've had another 27 views! Madness I tells ya!

22/01/2013 at 13:51

New year, new 5k PB!! Went to the gym this lunchtime to support my friend who was trying to break his 5k PB with the full intention of just trotting along yelling at him and ended up getting swept up in the fun!

He finished in 27.40 and mine was 27.45!!!

Really happy with that as I had no intention of speeding up until about 1k into it!

Happy days with happy feets!

2013 - 27.34

23/01/2013 at 12:42

Hey peeps, not going to count this in my training but it was bloody good fun!

Ran about a mile home last night in full normal clothing and caterpillar boots ha ha ha!

Really tough going and really warmed me up!

23/01/2013 at 19:08

Hi all. 8 weeks to my 10k and started RW training plan. This week was 2 miles at 9 26 pace but I ran longer as didn't seem enough, then today was tempo run, 1 mile warm up, 3 @ 7 55 pace and 1 mile cool down. Seemed like a heck of a pace to be going at the beginning of schedule  considering 8 week schedule to get me to 10k race in 49 mins. Still ice and snow on ground and dark when I run so treadmill again for tempo run and managed more or less with tempo doing 2 miles at 8 00 then the last mile of tempo at 7 53 with total for run 45 35. Very very red faced at the end of it though, think i panicked young man looking after the area. Next part of schedule is a steady 6 on Sunday at around 9 30 pace I think. Thoughts anyone as it seems odd to me just to do 2 miles at 9 26 and then turn up dial to 7 55 pace. also, should i do as plan says and stick to the short mileage or can I do what I feel comfortable doing?

Hope you all managing to get some miles in weather permitting.

23/01/2013 at 23:40

Training under your race pace is fine, trust in yourself.

If you feel you can go further then do so and just adjust the speed accordingly.

Try not to go eyeballs out too early in your training or you may not make race day!

Relax and get comfy at around 9 minute mile, race day will change your pace for sure!

When I was training for my marathon I set a target of between 10 - 11.45 minute miles and on race day I was putting away 9 minute miles for about 10 miles straight!

You will be absolutely fine! Train hard and don't forget to smile!

24/01/2013 at 20:03

Forgot my bloody shorts today!  No running for me but it did give me a chance to update my new blog and add a small photo page! 

Happy days!

25/01/2013 at 09:09

Lulusmum, as the schedule is only 8 weeks, you get into the speedwork quite quickly and it makes the assumption that you are starting at a basic level of fitness. Remember though the schedule is only really a guide, so if you can't manage the tempo pace - as long as you are running quicker than normal that will do fine - To be honest I am following a 12 week schedule for a 5 miler I am doing in April and I don't think I have done one session as per the schedule - the first week it had me running a total of 18 miles over 5 days, I did 34 over 7,  as long as I am doing at least  one speed session/tempo run a week I am happy.

Nice one for the PB B2B, when are the longer runs starting? 

25/01/2013 at 09:44

Yet more snow here and the snow gates out of the village have already closed. I might be fit to run again by the time its all cleared at this rate.

25/01/2013 at 12:37
Hello all,

Hope snow isn't causing too much frustration, it adds an element of risk in there..... More cautious these days having face-planted post putting a foot in a hidden rabbit hole in the snow once before (cue my sister laughing like a drain)

5k run/walks going ok.

Hrhb - I've registered for park run, there's one not too far away from me at Killerton.

JR - I'll have a go at the 5am start but I know how heavy the duvet is at that ungodly hour.

Lulusmum- love the ironman goal, jus listened to a marathon talk podcast about Jane Tomlinson and her amazing achievements, including ironman, very inspirational.

Bananas1989 - I've got an app called Myfitness pal which is great. You put in what your goals are re: weight and it helps to calculate calorie intake daily, you stick in what you eat and it tells you how you're doing. Easy to use, has helped my other half to lose a stone and me 11lbs (with some fitness classes) since Aug '12 - the equivalent of giving birth less painful though, happy days
25/01/2013 at 14:22
B2b, how strange, I was wondering about those five toe trainers and I've just been on your blog only to discover that you are a minimalist runner! Very interesting by the way. I'm intrigued by the idea of dodgy running styles being the route cause of many injuries and the idea of stripping it all back. I've been wondering for awhile if I do heel striking.

Anyway, I've booked a physio appt for tomorrow and will ask about my gait. Thanks for the food for thought.
25/01/2013 at 15:24

Grendel - Just as soon as the bloody pathways are clear! Its forecast to snow here again tonight!  Ive already lost a month of training!

Gammineez - Yep minimal is me! As mentioned in the blog I'm a sandal runner now, been one for around 7 months or so and I don't think I will ever go back.

I am aiming to do a post about the five fingers actually, along the lines of what they look like after you give them a damn good thrashing! All the good and bad along the way

One great way to find out if you heal strike is to have a little run in your trainers, stop, take your shoes and socks off and run again barefoot.

If you heal strike you will now feel really strange as you will now be up on the ball/forefoot and trotting along like a show pony!

Shoes back on, start running again and see if you can feel a difference, better still, see if you can replicate what it felt like to run barefoot!  Just take it slow!

5k for me today at the gym and thought I would try and keep the pace up a little.

Started around a 10 minute mile then took it a little quicker towards the end, finishing the last 500 meters at a 7 minute mile! Ive not run that hard of fast in a really long time! It was fun but I long for the outside world!

Give me back my pathways and trails! 

2013 - 30.44

Edited: 25/01/2013 at 15:27
25/01/2013 at 21:37

Evening everyone. Snow still on ground in not so sunny Northamptonshire and more forecast. Such fun (one for any Miranda fans out there ).Have managed to pick up a cold over last couple of days and just keeping my fingers crossed that it goes as quickly as it comes as don't want training interrupted now I've got my running mojo back at last.  I do have to feed a cold don't I...with chocolate...

Thans B2B and Grendel for advice on schedule. All makes perfect sense - it isn't a tailormade schedule just for me, just guidelines so if I keep to the pattern of steady runs, tempos, efforts and long slows with a bit of hill work thrown in then I guess I will be good to go.

Gammineez, my ironman/ultra dream is constantly being fueled at the moment - Andy Holgate's book for one and am now reading Scott Jurek's Eat and Run (yup, on the homework already B2B), but Jane has to be ultimate inspiration for us all whatever challenges we set ourselves be then a 5k or 150 mile ultra. Her book next I think. Well, possibly next or certainly next but one as I have another recommended read Running with the Kenyans out from the library to get through too. Love books - was going to say I should do I work in a library but I spend my whole day saying to people that a library isn't just about books!

Good luck with parkruns Gammineez. We have them starting up near me soon on Saturday mornings but I work every other Saturday and the ones I don't I go to a circuit class but they always read like they have a good group feeling to them.

Right, off to get my cold some more supplies. Good weekend everyone.

25/01/2013 at 23:04
Argh hot water! My random comments about weight loss and Myfitness app were meant to be in response to 3:30's post, so not sure why I directed them to you Bananas1989......

Still, it's a good app.....graphs and everything
26/01/2013 at 10:06
Lulusmum, well done for the homework! if you have a little scan back over this thread there are loads of books mentioned
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.