Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,501 to 2,520 of 7,322 messages
26/01/2013 at 12:31

Hi everyone, feeling a bit disappointed with myself at the moment as I didn't run all week. The alarm went off at 5am each day and the snooze button got hit each and every time! No excuses, pure laziness.

Anyway, spurred on by the thread, and B2B's new 5k PB, WELL DONE!!! I headed out the door this morning to run to work and collect my bike (I had an appointment after work yesterday which meant having to leave the bike there). I thought I would keep it nice and easy all the way and was amazed to arrive, 4.1 miles later in 37:09. Really pleased about that and my new 11 week schedule, to coincide with the Honiton Hippo 7 miler in April will start Monday morning, 5am!!!

My cousin, who works at the same firm as myself, has recently taken up running (he's already much quicker than me) and we are getting a works team together for the Royal Marines Commando Challenge in October. Its a 10k event which we did a few years ago involving the 3 mile cross country course with tunnels, Crocodile pit and scary sheep dip. It was great fun first time round and I can thoroughly recommend it to anyone who ever has the chance to do it. There is also a 17k endurance version on the 15th June, the day after my birthday. I may have to put this version forward to those brave enough!

2013 - 26.21

Edited: 26/01/2013 at 12:32
26/01/2013 at 16:45
JR - you need one of those Wallace and Gromit beds that tips you through the ceiling into your running kit when the alarm goes off...

Physio went well, I feel I can be more proactive now. ITB tightness combined with weakness on left side contributing to general wonk apparently.

5k run walk went ok today, knees behaving.

Have just signed up for the Blackdeath run in May (10m) feel obliged to mention not as bad as name suggests but only 3% of last years field ran all the way, so a run/ walk suits me fine. Will check out the marines one curious about the crocodile pit...l

Lulls mum have bought Born To Run, looks good.

Happy running everyone, hope snow hasn't turned to floods
27/01/2013 at 13:17

JR -  Glad to be an inspiration every now and then! Well done on the run that's good going!

I wrote down all of the books I have read so I could add them to my blog so here is a list while I have it handy as it will take some time for them all to hit the page!!

• Born to run 
  • 26.2 miles of blisters and bliss
  • Ultramarathon man
  • what i talk about when i talk about running
  • how to run fast and injury free
  • the ghost runner
  • chi running
  • eat and run
  • running with the Kenyans

Planning my first long run in what feels like forever tomorrow as it looks like the snow is finally gone!!!    SHOW TIME!

Oh one more thing, JR surely you are ready to take on Hell Runner now eh?! 

Edited: 27/01/2013 at 13:19
27/01/2013 at 18:02

Yeah! At last we have rain and no more snow. Now I know that I am not running out doors at the moment but at least I can easily get to and from work and to and from the gym more with ease. Am contemplating running around our local res next Sunday though (7 miles mixture road and woodland trail).  I know it's not the same running on a treadmill and most runners don't like it but on a busy day it is prime for people watching to pass the miles away. Another tick to the schedule today, steady 7 at 9 16.

JR, where is the endurance run happening  you mention on June 15th?  

Gammineez, hope you enjoy the book and cheers B2B for the list. Really enjoying Eat and Run, both the story and the random recipes. Anyone else do that thing where you read about something and think 'I could do that..." until you really dig deep into it and then think 'I would NEVER be able to do that' !  I know, never say never.

Soon be Monday which means circuits and a few miles on the treadmill afterwards.

Wishing you all a good week .

27/01/2013 at 19:28

Gammineez, lol, that’s a great idea! Enjoy Born To Run, it’s a belting book

B2B, check out ‘The Looniness of the long distance runner’ , ‘PRE’, ‘feet in the clouds’ (particularly brilliant!!!). The Hellrunner looks great run but a three hour drive from me, it may have to sit on the bucket list for a while.

Lulusmum, the woodland trail run sounds great. My wife runs on a treadmill but I simply have to be outside. The endurance challenge is at Woodbury Common, near Exeter. Here’s the site…commandochallenge.co.uk

Alarm set for 5am tomorrow, watch this space

27/01/2013 at 20:22
Lulusmum- I'm only onto chapter six but I've already caught myself thinking about how nice it would be to go and live in a Mexican canyon, getting blitzed and running about all day without leaving any footprints.....

Barefoot running sounds so seductive (bit scared of the lunar sandals though B2b, my Dad told me I was like a Carthorse when he saw me run at Xmas as opposed to show pony, the swine!). My other half has bought some vivobarefoots, he's my guinnea pig

Physio told me off for running two days on the bouce at the wkds so dusted cobwebs off the bike today, fun in the flooded lanes....
27/01/2013 at 20:44
Just had a look at the commando challenge as I'm not far from Exeter, if this is your thing, you might want to check this one out ...

http://www.rocksolidrace.com/
28/01/2013 at 06:20

Will check out the link soon as i'm home later Gammineez, thanks.

Well, I was up at 5am, stretched, run and stretched some more. Filled up with porridge and ready to take on the world.

2013 - 29.39

28/01/2013 at 12:29

Thanks JR i shall search for Looniness on the kindle now! ah man! They dont do it on the kindle!! Boo! oh well proper book it is then!

I tried to read Feet in the clouds but got distracted by another book at the time!

They hold the Hell runner in 3 different places, well with that said it still took me around 2/3 hours to get there as well!! ha ha ha ha!

Lulusmum - yeah I read it that stuff and thought "I could do that!" maybe stupidly I'm giving it a go with my first in May!! Your right, never say never!! 

28/01/2013 at 16:01

pffft spent ages trying to find "the Looniness" to find its "loneliness" ha ha ha ha still dont do it on the kindle though! 

28/01/2013 at 16:19

One for my wish list that one - the Ghost Runner - a sort of Alf Tupper type character - The other ones Plimsoles on Eyballs out - the Jim Peters Biography - never mind luna sandles and shoes with fingers - 5 shilling plimsoles from woolies - this back to basic stuff is not new!!!! The other one is From last to First Charlie Spedding's autobiography - both have a lot in common - both from a different era and both show to get any where you have to work hard!!!  Was a bit disapointed with running with the Kenyans. given the authors apparent ability - I would not have been happy to run the marathon time he did after all that training - also a follow up would have been interesting - how has it effected his running on his return to the UK?

Well I have been quietly toiling away - almost in awe of the training you guys are doing (and I am with you on that JR - it is very easy to hit snooze) Still have managed to get through the bad weather, only missing one run due to the snow.

Hope your long run goes well B2B, no probs with the achilles and no further snow.

Jan 2013    123.61

28/01/2013 at 17:15

B2B..........DON'T buy the 'loneliness' of the long distance runner!!!

It's the Looniess of the long distance runner 

28/01/2013 at 21:10
I agree JR, don't buy - try your local library first
28/01/2013 at 23:32
Ah! I see! I shall have a proper look tomorrow, thanks Jr!

The ghost runner is a sad read but good book!

Had all good intentions of doing a ten tonight but by the time I got home in the wind and rain I was frozen and hungry so gave it a miss...I shall try again tomorrow
29/01/2013 at 09:09

Have just ordered Looniness from the local library - will have a look for the ghost runner too - it maybe though that it is the type of book that will p*ss me off big time given the fact the guy was banned from competing because he had won prize money at an unrelated sport. The madness of the Oxbridge types running the sport at that time - it took a former police officer to change all that i the 80s, (Andy Norman)

Oh well did 5 miles fartlek this morning, was just about on my knees by the end of it - So all good with the world today - swimming tonight and a few ibuprofen is called for!!!

Happy days.

29/01/2013 at 09:27

I think it will Grendel when you get into how much he got screwed over. Also he wasn't a particularly nice man, all in all im not really selling this book eh?!  

29/01/2013 at 11:15

Haver just been having an online coversation with a mate of mine - am now going to add Kenyan Hills into my schedule (basically Hills but striding down rather than jogging.

B2B no not really selling it, but I am intrigued - there was so much shamateurism in the 'old' days - I remember a story about the great Aussie runner Ron Clarke - he was paid expenses, but then he earnt a living through betting - he would bet a meeting promoter that he could jump over a match box!!! or some such and obviously win the bet - what Andy Norman did was to gradually introduce professionalism to the sport.   There is a story that Henry Rono used to travel with a leather brief case - when asleep one day on a plane Steve Ovett sat beside him managed to open it to be confronted by $1000s of under the counter payments from his racing!!!!   all changed now. Still should be an interesting read.

29/01/2013 at 13:30

It really is an interesting read, I couldnt put it down. It shows how everything has changed so much regarding sport.

Kenyan hills eh? I will have to have a to do a bit of research on that

Looniness ordered! £5.67 I think it was

29/01/2013 at 13:35

Here you go B2B - a quote from my mates message on FB

Basically you find a slight graded hill(pref grass) run up not as an effort, turn at the top run down extanding stride and allowing gravity to take over. A bit hamsterish but after 10 mins of that you'll build up a sweat, have a short break then do it again. I have moved from 2x 10, 2x 15, to 1x 20 

Reading it again - it looks like the reverse of hill sprints - ie steady up and then stride down.

29/01/2013 at 19:00
Hello all,

Big day for me. Just ran my short loop. No walking, all running and it felt great.
B2B, I even took my shoes off and ran barefoot up the last bit.

Had been trying to run lightly without whacking my heels down and running on the Richter scale anyway and it was great. Weird but great!

Off to my wobble board to practice balancing on one foot

Hope everyone else had a good day too.
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.