Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,521 to 2,540 of 6,808 messages
29/01/2013 at 23:54

Hi all,

Looks like most of us have seen the back of the snow, so no more excuses. Well I have mine of still being laid off until my calf is sorted. Not felt anything from it for about 5 days, but I said something similar last time and managed half a mile. As much as I want to get out I am holding off for another week. Mrs HRHB has still been going out and enjoying herself.

Although we get loads of snow here, the infrastructure is in place to keep the roads cleared. Got to keep the skiers happy. On Sunday morning the snow gates were closed until 9:30am after overnight snow up the hill. The queue of cars was nearly 200 long by the time they opened.

Been busy this last few weeks working on a new heart rate monitor website, which is coming along nicely. However we re-open for the new season on Friday so I won't have as much spare time.

30/01/2013 at 12:59

Grendel - Interesting...I shall investigate further!

Gammineez - Awesome!! Well done! Just remember if you are starting any barefoot training to start short and slow. No heroics! It will hurt, it will take time, lots of time but its worth it!

HRHB - Hope you heal fast! 

Right onto the report!

Got home, changed and started running at 5.57pm. (my watch was dead)

Kept everything nice and easy and kept reminding myself to keep it nice and easy.

5 miles was reach in 57 minutes, clif bar and a bit of water and off we go!

Again with the nice and easy, headed back home but met my cousin on the way.

Walked the last mile or so, so I just added 12 minutes to the time that I stopped with him as I would have got home comfortably in that time.

Final estimated 10 mile time of 1.54 only 10 minutes behind my PB of that route!

Really surprised by that as I really relaxed and just bounced along not even out of breath once, it was that controlled.

Maybe it was just the consistency of the speed, it felt great that it was so easy, nice ego boost ready for my next one tomorrow!

Slept with my calf compression on last night as well just to see if it would help speed up recovery....guess ill find out tomorrow!

2013 - 37.34

30/01/2013 at 19:46

Hmm have I gone to far?

http://cardiosaurus.blogspot.co.uk/

What do you think guys and girls?

30/01/2013 at 21:11
Hi folks. I really am starting from the beginning again. I've gone from a 40 mile ultra in May last year, to currently being finished and needing a kip after 4m. Need to get back into training now.

Doing Snowdonia in October, need to look for another Mara around late June/early July as a target just to do the distance.

I'll let you know how I get on.......
30/01/2013 at 21:18

Welcome Chimney - I guess you have done it before you can do it again - why did you stop after the 40?

30/01/2013 at 22:00

Not too far B2B. Grendel recently pointed me in the right direction regarding not needing to stick religiously to the numbers on a schedule but more so to the pattern and it was a 'ping' moment for me after many years of on off running and getting hung up in not doing what a schedule said I should. I think that used to be one of the  factors which contributed to me starting and stopping at times as well as a dodgy knee! But I have started again, and I am going to remember that I run because I want to, not because I have to.

Having said that, am chuffed when I do manage to mee the challenge of my current schedule so pleased with yesterday's speed session of 5 miles with 3 x 800m reps at 7 08 pace with 400m recovery. Faster than I have ever managed before but I figured nothing ventured...

Over halfway through Eat and Run - what a great read, my heart rate speeding up along with Jurek's as he describes how he felt whilst racing. Also finding his journey from  MuckChicken burger diet to a vegan one enlightening worth a bit more thought.

Hello Chimney

30/01/2013 at 22:12

Welcome Chimney!

Oooh interesting, more ultra peeps!  

30/01/2013 at 22:18

Lulusmum - really glad you are enjoying the book! Its a little choppy sometimes, jumping from running to cooking and back again but I really enjoyed it! 

Well done on the latest run as well!

Made a wonderful veggie kebab yesterday! ha ha ha Quorn lamb, spring greens....ooooohh yeah!

Im not actually veggie......just part time! 

31/01/2013 at 04:51
Morning, not usually up at this time and it's not dedication to the cause. More to do with falling asleep on the sofa and Mrs C deciding to leave me in peace.

No great story, my mum has been very ill and she leaves 150 miles away so I've spent every weekend up there with her, sometimes going up in the evening after work. She's had one infection after another, added to breaking her hip, a couple of strokes, and a broken ankle. Hasn't been a good time.

As I wasn't doing any training, it wasn't really surprising I guess that when I did run and tried doing the distance/speed I had been doing that I started to break, which meant I did even less training. Circles & Vicious come to mind.

Well, seeing as I'm awake now, think I'll take the dogs for a gentle 4 miler up to the common and back round. Lovely route, across a golf course, up a hill past a castle, across a common and back down through a Beech wood to a pretty little village, back across the golf course to home. All off road except for about 400 yards, decent amount of ascent, lovely views, and really fun at the moment if you like mud.

A route I used to do just for fun if I had a bit of spare time and fancied a jog. Now it is hard......

Still, I'm back running, back playing Rugby ( only for the Vet's) will start climbing again next week, and back on RW.
31/01/2013 at 04:53
Leaves/lives. It's early.
31/01/2013 at 07:20
Ended up at 5.5m. About 25% off where I was. Not concerned at the mo about pace, just going to jog around for the next month, get my fitness up a tad before starting to train for distance.

Have a good day peeps.
31/01/2013 at 10:12

I can understnad the drop off Chimney, running does have to come second to life at times - but well done on the early start!!! Your run is now over for the day.

Well I have entered me and my nephew for the Braintree 5 (he is 30 years younger than me so my goal will be as always to whip his *rse!!!!)

To illustrate the point further Lulusmum, my schedule had me doing 3 times 1 kilometre this morning, which at the end of it didn't feel enough so I dadded an extra one to be on the safe side, (was OK until my left hamstring started to cramp up laying in the dentists chair two hours after!!!).  Happy days

31/01/2013 at 12:59
Cheers Grendal, have fun in the 5. And hope the dentist wasn't too painful, but 2 hours sounds like pain for the wallet!

When is Braintree? ( can go that way to mum's in Bury, not far off my way)
31/01/2013 at 13:50

Hey Chimney - there is always a break in that circle, it's just that sometimes you have to do that hamster thing and go round and round it a  few times before you find the way through. Loved the sound of your route this morning, and I know you would probably be better having a regular sleep but I always find a walk or run as the day breaks quite settles the soul, and a bit of a treat for the too I should think.

can empathise with Grendel this moring as had an hour in the dentists chair today - got there quite early because they have Running & Fitness and also 220 Triathlon mags so get to have a bit of a free read. Actually, not quite free considering the charges... and have got to take car to garage later as have a 'motor control system failure' warning - basically my salary could probably be shared between the dentist and the garage this month!

So, circuits tonight followed by a few steady miles, schedule says 2 @ 9 26 but most likely tuck a few more in as long as circuits trainer doesn't blitz legs too much. Learning to do what feels right for me. Cheers Grendel.

Sorry for the earlier ramblings - you all might need to learn to speed read over some of my posts!

31/01/2013 at 14:01

Chimney it is the 7th April -

31/01/2013 at 15:23

Hey guys and girls!

Just a quick one.

We have a little friendly competition going on at work now regarding the 5k which basically means my 5k time is going to take a slapping over this year!

Not my favourite distance but I managed to break my 5k PB today!

Previous - 27.45, and now.........26.15!!!!

Even felt like I could have gone faster but thought I would restrain as I have a long one on friday, the strangest part is my legs actually feel refreshed after the 10 mile on tuesday....interesting

2013 - 40.44

31/01/2013 at 15:56

Cool B2B - my starting again from the beginning 5k pb is 25:11,  I better watch out eh?

Haven't we talked about this before on here - I think you tend to use slightly different muscles when running at speed - Others thoughts?

Edited: 31/01/2013 at 15:59
31/01/2013 at 16:16

Grendel - Next month maybe?  

Its really interesting as when I was walking to the gym my legs were a little tired but I thought I would just give it a go anyway....hmm may be a different story tomorrow but for now I feel pretty fresh.

Maybe it has something to do with flushing out the lactic acid build up, but then my last run was really slow so maybe not?

31/01/2013 at 18:54
Hello all, hello Chimney,

Is Eat and Run by the Scott Jurek as featured in Born to Run? Might have to buy that. Loved Born TR, planning to lend it to my brother who had to stop running because of back issues.

Ok, so watch out Grendel/B2B, I now also have a SAFTB 5k PB of......36mins!!!! ( that includes my 5m walk warm up ) really, really quite chuffed, no stopping, breathing ok, knees ok, fingers crossed. Target 30 mins.

Nothing if not optimistic
31/01/2013 at 20:39

One and the same Gammineez!

Hey 36 is good going! well done! Take your time its gets easier! Optimism is the new hardcore! 

hmm not sure who was looking into maybe getting the Vibram Five Fingers but I have now done a little review on my blog if you wanna have a little look? 

http://cardiosaurus.blogspot.co.uk/

I really dont mean to keep posting that on here but im just passionate about running!

(holds finger and thumb in the shape of an L on his forehead)

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.