Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,541 to 2,560 of 6,813 messages
31/01/2013 at 21:09
Hey there! It was me interested in the VFF, just read your blog. I too have (alert!...about to share too much info.....) freakishly long 'finger' toes, soooo I won't be purchasing. I blame the Clarks shoes and the 'room to grow', my feet took that literally

Thanks for heads up
01/02/2013 at 09:10

ha ha ha im glad im not alone!

I think the separate toes are wonderful if your toes are "standard" length.

I have a similar problem now Ive been a minimal runner for a while, your feet get wider!

Shoe shopping is an interesting experiance!

01/02/2013 at 10:00

I have got ordinary feet so can pretty much go online with Amazon and buy any old crap and run in them.

5 miles run slow/steady - am going to give kenyan hills a bash in the morning - hopefully will be able to walk round Tesco/Morrisons and Iceland.

01/02/2013 at 16:05
The very idea that my feet could actually get wider fills me with dread!

Grendel, if you don't mind me asking, are the shoes that you run in uncushioned then? When you say you have ordinary feet do you mean neutral? Or just that your toes are short? Still, glad to hear that not all shoe shopping is traumatic

How did your Kenyan hills go?

HRHB how are you getting on?
01/02/2013 at 21:47

No I just wear whatever is cheapest - I used to wear racing flats in the old days and train a lot of the time in them too, but now doesn't seem to matter - I did experiment in a pair pf plimsols (£5 from the local min -mart - how the guys usd to run in them I don't know)

01/02/2013 at 22:43

I have no idea what I was thinking tonight!!

Brain turned to mush at 6.5 miles and with my newly found "wisdom", decided that 4 beetroots straight from the tetra pack are pretty much the same as beetroot juice.....this was my brains first error, next thing I know im outside tearing a tetra pack open with my teeth!

Spoon in one hand, 4 beetroots in the other and whats this under my arm?

Ah! As if the evening wasn't quite bazaar enough, a FAMILY SIZE PACKET OF PRETZELS!!!  How the faaaaa?

Now I was just beginning to think that I was a fairly experienced runner and then this?!  Really have no idea what happened, I was running along at a gentle bop getting a little hungry at around 5 miles but thought I would hold off eating my clif bar.

Then I have purple hands and im still doing 12 minute miles while eating a family bag of pretzels?!?!? ha ha ha ha

It was like a scene from the hangover ha ha ha im so confused!

To top it all off the wonderful concoction unsurprisingly made my belly hurt on the way back so that slowed me down, ended up finishing 13.39 miles in 2.53!!!

My PB for this route is 2.19 and my average is around 2.30! 

Oh well always find a positive, don`t do that again! ha ha ha

Maybe I was just tired from work?

I guess I have also run a 10 mile on Tuesday, set a new 5k PB on Wednesday, rest on Thursday and then tried a 13 tonight....hmm doesn't seem a lot though?

Live and learn eh?! ha ha ha

2013 - 53.83

ooo and just broke 50 for the year yay! 

Edited: 01/02/2013 at 22:44
04/02/2013 at 13:05

Two speed sessions and kenyan hills last week plus a steady 8 left me wanting a rest day today - so bailed out and just did a very slow 5 miles - 40 miles for the week!!!! speed work tomorrow - am aiming for 4 times a 1000 metres again tomorrow so hopefully legs will be OK and not to windy.

2013 - 163.63

04/02/2013 at 16:33

Hoping to make my return this week having patiently rested the calf for nearly 3 weeks. Trouble is another 3 inches of snow has fallen so far today and the snow gates south out of the village are closed again. Its now impossible to see where all the old icy bits are hidden. More snow and strong winds for the next few days. Fingers crossed it will melt quickly.

Mrs HRHB went out a few days back but all the back roads were icy and the trails had deep compacted snow. Just left the main road, which was busy with cars heading to the ski slopes.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/735578/gallery/deep_snow.jpg?width=350

Picture - Mrs HRHB Decided Glenshee was not the best place for a run

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 16:34
04/02/2013 at 18:26

Wow HRHB, that's certainly a drop of snow you've had there. Today was like spring here, the sun shining most of the afternoon.

I've been off running for a few days again, had some extra hours to make up at work which put paid to a couple of days. Saturday and Sunday were hectic with football matches, sleepovers and swimming and today I was off work with a banging headache and rather dodgy tummy. Was up at 6am but simply had to give in and take a day off. I have been bored bloody stiff. An early night and all being well back to work tomorrow and back out for a run Wednesday.

2013 - 29.39

04/02/2013 at 22:16

Woooooow! Ok thats some snow!!!

I was trying to head out the door tonight but had a pretty late weekend so im going to hit the hay.

5k planned tomorrow then a bigger trot on wednesday could be in the cards.

Its freezing here but no snow, off to my (hopefully) warm bed!

Night all!

05/02/2013 at 09:16

Definitely snow there!!!

4 times 1000 metres this morning, just pushed it hard but reduced the recovery to 2 minutes rather than three - very windy did the first 2 into the wind and then enjoyed the return journey - warm up and down made it 5 miles in total so happy with that. A swim tonight and I will see if I can squeeze in a 6 tomorrow.

Happy days

05/02/2013 at 12:30

Your going really well Grendel! My training seems to be a little slow at the moment but im trying to listen to my body to make sure I dont hurt it!

05/02/2013 at 14:23

Grendel I have bad news......you need to work on you 5k time  GOT YA!

5k at lunch today in 25.09!!!!!!!!!! Woooohooooo!!!!!!

Wow never ever thought I would get anywhere close to 25 minutes!

Im only 9 seconds from completing my first goal of the year!!

2013 - 56.93

05/02/2013 at 14:35

Blimey B2B, is that an outside 5k?

05/02/2013 at 14:48
Good work! No Beetroot this time?
05/02/2013 at 15:57

JR - Na treadmill, I actually think and outside one would be faster as I dont really like being stuck at one speed! It was tough going but really think I could go faster...

Dare I say...sub 24? 

Lol no beetroot this time! Chia seeds though

Beetroot juice is great, whole beets are a little much to cope with! ha ha ha! 

05/02/2013 at 19:17
Just finished my 5k. 35mins (including my 5min walk warm up) which I am really pleased with. Only my right calf started playing up half way round. Decided it wasn't 3/10 so kept going. Since I've been trying to do a mid-fore foot strike instead of heal strike, my knees are sooo much happier but guess some calf complaints to be expected.

Only, about 4wks ago I fell off a very high shoe one morning in the school car park (self inflicted stupidity....cue red face). I expected it to fix quickly but it hasn't and my foot keeps going over when it never would have before. Does anyone think this may be linked to the calf thing?

Still, it's not my knees (touch wood) so horray
05/02/2013 at 19:25

All this talk of 5K times got me checking back. I did a 26:14 Parkrun in October but I have done 25:45 during an 8K run in December when I was in Portugal. Warm weather training does the trick.

Countdown to my return  - Thursday - exactly 1 month since the original injury. Keep those fingers crossed for me.

06/02/2013 at 12:07

Gammineez - yeah your calfs wont like you for a little while! Just take it slow and build   it up

As to the shoe....no idea!! Just keep going with the running and everything will strengthen!

Fingers and toes crossed HRHB!!

06/02/2013 at 13:50

Will have to do a time trial or race at some point B2B!!! Well done - (i did go through 5k in around 24.27 during the 5 mile race last October!!!)

Well 6 miles done this morning, sort of struggled along after the speedwork yesterday - but picked it up in the last couple of miles so not to unhappy - 20 times a minute tomorrow - am looking to hit 40 miles again this week - so will have to see - may need to look at an easy week in the next few weeks as feeling it a bit at the moment - though should hit 200 miles for 2013 this weekend.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.