Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,601 to 2,620 of 6,924 messages
16/02/2013 at 18:39
Hey there!

Ran 5.3 miles today and it went really well. Had a little barefoot run across a really boggy meadow in the middle which felt lovely (shoes still dry always a bonus ). But, it feels as if my brain managed to trick my legs into finishing the new route.....Now that we're done they are slowly realising that they've been duped and are getting a bit pissed off.......some easy stretching is in order I think.

Well done on the 20m B2B and enjoy the fizz G3
16/02/2013 at 20:31

Nice one Gammineez I love doing that! Feels great eh?! Yeah just have a good stretch after your run, your body is not used to using those muscles in your feet so it tends to get a little grumpy some times!

Here is a great exercise that I read about when I first started....

Sit on a chair, choose a leg and point your big toe out like a pen.

Write the whole alphabet letter by letter slowly in the air with your big toe but only bend from the ankle.

Try and make the letters as big as you can by only using your ankle, once you finish, swap legs and start again!

The first few times you try it your legs may feel crazy heavy and you may not be able to write the whole thing in one go, no matter, just start from where you left off when you can lift your leg again!

Give it a go as little or as often as you want and it should help to ease the muscles a little 

16/02/2013 at 21:54

Hello everyone, hope everyone is well. Couple of short 2.5 mile early morning  runs logged as I simply didn’t have time for further before work. Got a 6 miler planned for the morning so putting it in print to make sure I keep my promise.

Glad to hear that double figure run is on its way Grendel. You don’t do mega miles eh? How many is it already this year? I reckon you’ve done more than I have in my car!

B2B, I think I’d seriously consider yaktrax to at least get you to the trails? Another PB! Where will this end????? Love the ‘Hunting’ post! 20 miles??? Wow, that’s something I would love to post one day.

Gammineez, well done on the early run. Can’t beat that feeling of having done your run before most people are even out of bed. Well done on the 5+ miler.

HRHB, sad to hear about the walker. Just brings it home how easy we forget this bad weather has grave consequences for some.  Glad your calf is responding well. Will check out your site as hrm running is something I would like to look at myself.

Lulusmum, that’s a very respectable 10k pb you have there. Don’t worry about not having got out much lately. Just revise your target. I set three targets for a race, a dream time, a target time and a settle for time.

2013 – 46.01

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 21:55
17/02/2013 at 11:10

Good question JR! I have no idea how fast I can actually go! Im going to try another 5k on Tuesday just to see if I can match it! The yaktrax are a bit of a problem in sandals! All the snow has gone now anyway but it would be nice to have some kind of plan for its return! 20 takes a little while to get to but I truly believe anyone can do it! Most of the battle is in your head! Speaking of battles in your head, my last blog was interesting ha ha ha! 

cardiosaurus.blogspot.com

Edited: 17/02/2013 at 11:11
17/02/2013 at 11:55
Hello all,

Quick qu about lunar sandals. Considering buying for general all round summer use. Trying to work out what size to get, done all the measuring, just wondering if the 'longer than average' toes will be a problem. B2B, you alluded to having long toes, did you have to get custom made ones? How close to the base of your toes does the strap have to be to stop the shoe moving around, or do the other straps hold it in place?

Sorry everyone who isn't obsessed with toes and minimalist footwear.

Perfect running conditions here, happy running everyone
17/02/2013 at 13:45

Hey all. Made myself do it and went out for a trot around the local reservoir this morning. Started off feeling pretty good but by mile 2 a niggle I've had for the last few weeks kicked in - back of my knee, not behind knee cap but the bag of my leg at the knee area felt very tender and ached and had to stop. Stretching didn't help but managed to keep going but stop/startng all the time. Each time I stopped it took a while to build up pace again, then once I was settled again and tried to pick up pace, off it went again and leg kept stiffening up.Any thoughts of what it could be? Did wonder if all the planks, press ups, burpees, thrusts etc at circuits put undue pressure on back of legs. Felt absolutely fine  before I started running. Carried on, perhaps foolishly so and completed 6.77miles in second under the hour so know that lung capacity okay at least and did enjoy running out doors again, just would have preferred it without the limping. There might be a slight swelling in that bumpy bit behind the knee but that just might be me 'thinking' there is as both legs have got lumpy bit really. Have put freeze gel on as not much time to sit about with ice pack today.Now I have a willing mind but a weak body...

17/02/2013 at 15:42

At last a mild day and I did a 4 mile off road run without any snow on the ground to contend with. It almost feels like Spring.... for now. Forecast to be back to sub zero temperatures on the hills here on Wednesday. Just in time for my days off

Busy at the hostel with the Scottish half-term having just finished and the English one just starting. Already 50% up on last year. Should be lots of happy people tonight, good weather and good skiing conditions. Always makes my life easier

Looks like lots of good runs by you all at the moment. Just hope Lulusmum doesn't get crocked. 

18/02/2013 at 13:18

Gammineez - The sizing was great for me and the adjustment is great as well. The only "bad" thing I have to say is they are expensive if you just want to give them a go. My suggestion is to go a cheaper route and give these guys a go first  

http://www.xeroshoes.co.uk/

I got some for my mum for christmas and she loves them! Now the only issue with these is that you have to learn a tying method that works for you and it takes a little while to get it right. With pratice though you will have the perfect fitting "shoe" everytime!

18/02/2013 at 14:37

Lulusmum

Could be a Bakers Cyst - I had one -  right at back of knee in crease of leg used to get very painful and a bit swollen. Got stiff the further I ran

Physio told me to just keep stretching and rest - it went eventually on its own but he advised in very bad cases they can lance it. Lots of info on net about it

18/02/2013 at 18:34

A Bakers Cyst?! Sounds nasty and tasty at the same time! Not that I would ever want to eat a cyst!!! 

Have a read.... 

It could just be the good old overuse injury, I get them a lot 

Have you gone from doing not a lot to a whole bunch over the week?

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 18:41
18/02/2013 at 20:20

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=bakers+cyst&id=94C9C04A5984F60BC5E9A30EF97A2ED4987C9375&FORM=IQFRBA

This link is to some images the first ones are best weird old injury!!

Edited: 18/02/2013 at 20:22
18/02/2013 at 21:27

Thanks for info and link 3.30 - I don't want to have anything that has a name, makes it more serious!  Pain seems to have moved up my leg today, like a tight band around my upper thigh leading into groin and also a tiny bit of sensitivity going into top of calf muscle. How does one get confirrmation of a cyst - docs and an x-ray? No visible lump as such, just a bit of a swelling as far as I can feel, can't see back of both legs together and OH very helpfully saying 'look the same to me' (maybe they do!). Haven't really gone from not much to too much, circuits been a constant for about three months and have been running on treadmill. Yesterday was first run outside but took it steady really, just should have stopped when ache started. Resting I guess for a few days so no circuits, no upperbody work at my just started 1:1 sessions and no running          Soooooo not happy so you all have to spare a happy thought for me whilst you put your miles in please and I'll try not to sulk and get too jealous.

18/02/2013 at 23:18

get it checked out, always a quick way to find out for sure!

Keep smiling and we will give you stuff to read along the way!

19/02/2013 at 09:15

Is it totally un-runable Lulusmu. Could it just be a reaction to running on a harder surface than the treadmill? Probably best to get it checked though.

A lot colder this morning than I expected, was surprised to find one shoelace frozen so that I couldn't untie it to get my trainer off- took ages before it warmed up enough to untie!!!!  Never had that before!!!!

Did a pyramid session this morning - 1 minute faster, 1 minute jog, 2 minutes faster 1 minute 3 minutes, 4 minutes 5 minutes then back down again 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 (was going to do 1, 2 , 3, 4, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 - but decided as I had a 2 minute break at 5 minutes rather than 1 minute, I had to do another 5 minutes - the whole session took around an hour with a steady warm up and a bit of a stagger warm down)  Now eating ibuprofen - to try and stop my left hamstring hurting - will give it a good stretch out in the swimming pool tonight)

19/02/2013 at 10:01

Lulusmum

Best have it checked as could get worse if you ignore and run through the pain. I went to a proper sports physio - seemed to me it was my second home in my serious marathon running days !!

As b2b said some good stuff on here for you to read, myself am planning yet another comeback after years of baerly any running so I wont be "bothering the scorers" to much in the miles dept !! Am out for a massive 2 miles tonight !! (first one of year I am finding it hard to get back into swing of things after numerous attempts as the others will tell you!!)

19/02/2013 at 13:40

sounds like a tough session Grendel. So each "faster" is followed by 1 minute jog if I read that right?! Sounds really interesting I might give something like that a go on a fast day.

Well done for starting again 3:30! I personally think that's one of the toughest things to do because your head isn't in it yet. Good luck with the 2 miles tonight and take them really really slow, remember its your first run back don't bench yourself before the good stuff!

On a bit of a side note would anyone object to me adding my blog link to the bottom of my posts like a kind of stamp? I don't want to take over the thread its just a great way for people to see it even if they have never posted in here I'm sure many people read this thread!

I wont do it all the time but I just want to try and get the name out

19/02/2013 at 13:50

No problems from me B2B - and yes that was what I did - a minute recovery But I did take 2 minutes between the two 5 minute stretches

Good luck 3:30 or bust.

19/02/2013 at 15:24

A great run today of 4.5 miles. Clear blue skies, mild, no wind and the mountains covered in snow to enjoy looking at. What could be better.

6 degrees by early afternoon when I went out, but it was -7 when I got up.

Mrs HRHB wanted to drive down the valley yesterday to do a walk, but the car battery was flat. When we thought back we realised we hadn't used the car for almost a month.

B2B, no problem for me with the signature but do the moderators allow it. Many forums don't

19/02/2013 at 15:28

Nice one peeps!

Nice run HRHB, I think its ok as long as it is not considered spam, hence just quickly asking the question  covering my ass and all that jazz! 

I will only really put it on there when I put something new on anyway.

Ive just been through some of the other threads....wow there are some unfriendly folk on here!! ha ha ha glad we have the nice room!

19/02/2013 at 20:14

Well thats me started - again !!

Today -  2.6 miles

2013 -  2.6 miles !!

Edited: 19/02/2013 at 20:15
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.