Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,621 to 2,640 of 7,037 messages
19/02/2013 at 20:35

Well done 3:30. Nice start.

19/02/2013 at 21:42

Grendel

Thanks. Dont hink I am going to be setting myself any goals of doing races etc like I did last time will just see how it goes but was nice to be out agan

19/02/2013 at 21:55

well done 3:30! welcome back!

19/02/2013 at 22:55

Well done 3.30 - feels good doesn't it

20/02/2013 at 08:25

Thanks for the encouragement all - gotta stick at this I am really frightened to see how unfit I have become over the years. If I could turn back the clock and all that ..... lol !

20/02/2013 at 08:47

3:30 - I will add to the congratulations. Getting out of the front door again is the hardest step. Now its just remembering that the running gets easier the more your fitness returns.

B2B - no problem, didn't went you getting your hands slapped. Know what you mean about some of the people here. I was reading a thread recently and after 3 pages the author said he was never going to write on RW again. You could say this of many forums though. People who have nothing constructive to add seem to resort to criticising everything.

20/02/2013 at 08:51

Yeah its true, does seem to be only a small group of people though but they post a lot! I don't get what you gain from putting people down, I thrive on building people up! one of many reasons why I have been on this thread for well over a year now

Keep running and smiling!

20/02/2013 at 09:07

Just a quickie, 5 miles this morning, felt brisker than I had for a while, went swimming last night and spent a lot of time in the pool stretching my left hamstring which has been quite painful over the last couple of days -

Spmeon suggested I should rest it - I looked up the word REST in a dictionary - to (cause someone or something to) stop doing a particular activity or stop being active for a period of time in order to relax and get back your strength.  Didn't understand that so looked up IGNORE: to intentionally not listen or give attention to. That seems to be what I am looking for!!!!!!

Happy days -

20/02/2013 at 09:53

ha ha ha Grendel hope the hamstring is ok

20/02/2013 at 11:30

I have to agree with some ignorant posters I have seen many over the years and I have been posting for over 10 years on here on and off

But this is a great thread to be on !!!

Thanks HRHB just need to get out tonight as well. Problem with starting a comeback this time of year is its a bit nippy here !!

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 11:33
20/02/2013 at 11:34

3:30 you really need to update your about me section! How did you do in 2003 anyway?

20/02/2013 at 12:16

B2B

Done a little update. Done first London in 1994 in 3.57. Cant recall why I put 1993 in prfile !! - 1995 PB of 3.43 -  1996 3.59 1997 4.02 - 1998 3.57 - 1999 3.43 and Dublin in 2000 4.13

After this time I stopped keeping paper records of my times trusting to my PC - this blew up and I lost everything all my times and race details since I started running. I have the hard drive so one day may be able to recover it all. Sure there a PC shop somewhere that can get the hard drive running and get the info off

All in all done 10 Londons and only 1 over 4 hours(1997) I was so determined to get under 3.30 and sure I could have had I put in the effort. Now I would be lucky to finisj London by 3.30 PM !!

20/02/2013 at 12:27

Update !!

Been onto a PC shop here he can get me a case to put the hard drive into and can then pug into my lap top and it becomes an external hard drive. Thats brilliant will cost me £25 but I have details of every race I ever done and about 5 years worth of training diaries - oh this is great news was really up set when I thought I had lost it all !!

20/02/2013 at 12:27

3:30 or bust - I had all my training diaries and race records stored in the shed, plus every copy of Athletics Weekly where I had been in the results or had letters published. I also had a video of pretty much every marathon race shown on telly between 1985 and 2004 - We had the roof of the shed re-done by a proper handiman - he didn't do as good a job as he appeared to have done at first and water got in every waterproof container I had was full of water - lost the lot

20/02/2013 at 13:32

wow that's great news and some great times there! Ive only done the one and it was 4.45.46 you would already be at home with your feet up!  

Grendel - I think this would have happened....

20/02/2013 at 14:43

Grendel

You sound like me when it comes to things like that. I used to keep running diaries, the ones RW gave out free, still have them between Nov 96 and 2003. Thats when I moved to computer records. I used to record LM every year and was lucky to see myself twice, I loved ther race where Liz was trailing to thar foreign runner but caught her to win !. Still got them must get them put on DVD. I also horded all RW mags but wife thre them out when we moved to Scotland

I bet you were gutted to loose that lot in your shed. I was a real geek in the day and used to eat and sleep running. Had and made some good friends over the years in the sport, but alas am a loan runner now. I still dream of doing another marathon but time is not on my side - but never give up hope.

I often think of my running carrer when I hear the song "Glory Days" by Bruce Sprinsgsteen. I am proud of the achievements and running one marathon seemed impossible but I done ten. My wife thinks I am mad but she will never know the feeling of crossing the finish line at London - she hates excercise.

But am glad am here now in the RW "virtual" running club. Out again at 4.30 for another massive 2.6 - 26 one day maybe !!

One day when we lived in London I caught my wife having a clear out of a draw so when I enquired where all my LM finishers T Shirts were (I never wore them) she said in the bag for rubbish - I rescused them but it was nearly divorce proceedings !!

Whats your history ?

Edited: 20/02/2013 at 14:45
20/02/2013 at 16:07

Sounds like me 3:30 I only finished 7 of my marathon attempts, two drop out through illness and one because I couldn't be bothered with a second lap of Harlow New Town!!!! - I walked away from the marathon in 1998 because I failed in my attempt to run a time - after months of to hard training - Would I do another one?  - not sure certainly not London anymore - there are so many other races to do if you want to - (I have pretty much got 4 races that I did last year and this year and that will do - although they are starting a Parkrun in Colchester in a few weeks time - the other race I would like to do is the Barking Park 5K - fast and furious race - and has been going since 1986 -  I know because I was a joint organiser of it between 87 and 2003 - handed over to someone else after that but I am still very proud of the race.

My favourite race - had to be the now defunct Rutland Mini Marathon - 16.5 miles round Rutland Resevoir first time I ever hit 6 minute miles all the way - (the Robin Hood Half comes a close second - 75:05 - wished that day I had gone and done the full marathon because I think a sub 2:35 would have been on the cards)  Still I started again from the beginning at the end of 2010 - and am enjoying what I do now!!!)

20/02/2013 at 16:21

Grendel impressive stuff mate

I knew a fella who had a PB of 2.31 at London and it was great running with him (well disappering into the distance actually !!) I agree re London although I dream of doing it again for old times sake but theres much nicer marathons here in Scoltand - Loch Ness very Scenic

Last year was planning to try to train for my local half but then we booked a holiday and it fell on the date of the race so that all fell through. Now our friends who we are going with had toi change date as their daughter is expecting so could have done it after all !! Maybe next year -

20/02/2013 at 16:40

I think next year is a good plan - gives you over a year to prepare - I think my problem is, I walked away from the marathon because 3:03 wasn't good enough, (was 27 minutes outside my target) and I am not sure I now want a 5 hours plus marathon on my C.V - I am not disparaging what other people do in terms of times - but just what I could do. (on the other hand it may be good just to go and do one with no pressure)

20/02/2013 at 18:31

Grendel

Yes I am the same I donrt want to do another marathon unless I can get under 4 at the very least. I dont want to be going round in 5 hours - not that there anything wrong in that as you say but to me it would not be achieving what i want to do.

Never got out today but to be fair knee was sore as I embarrasingly fell over when out walking. But walked to shops and back 2 miles so not that bad !

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.