Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,661 to 2,680 of 7,368 messages
27/02/2013 at 08:47

well done Gammineez is that your first sub 30? Great feeling none the less eh?!

Arms are aching a little today but nothing that would stop me doing it again tomorrow! 

My Xero shoe arrived last night so I'm going to take them for a test run this evening, so excited!

27/02/2013 at 09:12

Hi everyone - neglected to post for a few days - but well done for continuing to get out there -

Saw the pictures on FB B2B - looking forward to the review!!! 

Well hamstring still playing up a bit - sore dow left leg - I do wonder now as it starts quite high up if it could be the sciatic nerve - managed to do 43 miles last week - have skipped the speed work this week though and am replacing it with a thorough warm up then a tempo run - 

2013 -  303.12

27/02/2013 at 12:33

Hi all,

To bring you all up to speed, I used to run 10k, marathons about 7/8 years ago etc.. but then had kids.  Put a stone or two on (got to 13.5 stone), and stopped running .

Now, here I am, plodding on once again, down to 12 stone, and fired up the RW forums again.  Have been following the 'get started' schedule since 1st Jan (yup, it was a resolution!) and today, at 5.59am hit 5k in 29 minutes!!!  Was over the moon! Had to tell some people who would actually care (colleagues don't run, neither does the wife)!

Anyway, hopefully this success will continue, but might change my runs from early mornings to evenings - this getting out of bed is killing me!  Does anyone have any thoughts on running after eating evening meals- it's years since I've done all this??

27/02/2013 at 16:47

Hi,

Welcome aboard Chuckles. Good time there, well done. Just remember not to push too hard too often, many runners get an injury within 3 months of starting. I got mine after 4 months. Can't help with when to run, Im fortunate to be able to run mid afternoon between shifts.

Grendel - Hope you get going again soon. I have been using a grid roller for a few weeks and that seemed to help my calf. At least if it hurts that much it better be helping.

B2B - Im following you on twitter to hear how the new xeros perform

After my injury foiled my plans for the Inverness Half Marathon in March, I am now aiming for Loch Leven in May, with the Glenlivet 10k in April as part of the training. That gives me 10 weeks to build up steadily from 7 mile long runs. I need a target to keep me motivated.

Edited: 27/02/2013 at 16:48
27/02/2013 at 18:08

Will have to catch up Friday, nice easy 10k this morning at 5am.

2013 – 60.32

27/02/2013 at 20:31

Its on the way Grendel! 

Hey chuckles and welcome! Well done on the return to running!! 29 minute 5k is a great time, well done! As for the eating bit, I tend to go out hungry and eat on the way but then I am training for my first ultra so its part and parcel of the gig really!

After a hell of a lot of research and even more trial and error I find leaving with no more than a snack of around 300 calories before a run tends to see me right, depending on the distances you want to run you can snack along the way or finish up with a nice meal after you are done. Rough rule of thumb is about 100 calories an hour to keep you ticking over nicely 

This of coarse at the end of the day is all down to what works for you, none of us are the same and what works for me may not sit right with your body.

+1 for HRHBs comment on the not pushing to hard to soon! Take your time!

Cheers HRHB! 

6 very chilly miles tonight in my new Xero Shoe....hmmm more testing to be done!

2013 - 125.39

28/02/2013 at 09:06

Welcome Chuckles - feel free to join in when ever you want - all are welcome. I run at 5:30 am so am always running on empty - have a bowl of cereal once I have showered - don't drink though until I get to work - otherwise if I get stuck in traffic for any length of time it gets uncomfortable!!!!

Thanks HalfRun - I am treating the hamstring the way I treat most running pains - ignoring it!!!- just trying not to stretch it out to far.

For the first time in a long time this morning I saw another runner - he didn't look as if he was running to fast - yet he swept by majestically and I couldn't get anywhere near him    - Those were the days my friends!!!  Well 5 miles run - decided to push it a little bit from the start - and was rewarded with a better time than for a while - with Braintree only a month or so away now - time to do the faster paced runs.  Hopefully the 40 mile plus weeks will pay off when I start to taper!!!

Happy days all

01/03/2013 at 09:07

A 6 mile plod this morning - am going to try (looks round and whispers) a 10 tomorrow!!!!  will see -

Thats all folks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01/03/2013 at 11:11

You have convinced me David, I will do 9!!!!!! (and stick to one doughnut)

Edited: 01/03/2013 at 11:11
01/03/2013 at 11:22

Another 5k this morning.. knocked a decent minute off the PB! okay, so 28 minutes isn't the fastest, but hey, I'm getting there!

01/03/2013 at 12:25

Well done Chuckles! 28 is a great time keep it up! Try not to get caught up in breaking your PB on every run though! 

ha ha ha Grendel. Go on go for double digits! 

Welcome David!

02/03/2013 at 16:22

Done it - 10 miles and a doughnut as a reward - took 97 minutes - I know that is not great - I know it is 22 minute slower than my best half time - but the first time I have run 10 miles in nearly 14 years!!!!!  Happy Days.

03/03/2013 at 11:53
Well done! That's wicked! I think that is about the same time that I do 10 in.
04/03/2013 at 09:21

Cheers B2B - ran 5 miles yesterday and then 6 this morning - very easy yesterday - but a lot harder this morning (well the last 3 miles was)

Happy days

04/03/2013 at 09:49

Nice! Planning a big one tonight, really hope its not mega cold again! Gonna use the Luna as its a big one, im not ready for long stuff with the xero yet

04/03/2013 at 10:37

Really don't know how you can go out after work and go - long like that (although I was known to run from London many many many many many years ago!!! (about 20)

Enjoy - you are going to be flying round 50!!!

04/03/2013 at 11:30

ive just got used to it really, I find if I try and run in the morning that im just not awake yet and everything just takes ages to come together. Did that make any sense? 

Not sure I will be flying around! The plan is just to finish and ive got 13.5 hours to think about it ha ha ha!

04/03/2013 at 12:14

Have just got a copy of the Born to Run book from the library - find it quite amusing that the author talks about Lance Armstrong and how he uses herbal remedies to recover - if he only knew!!!!!

13.5 hours sounds OK for 50 miles - only 4 miles an hour!!!!  you'll breeze it.

Edited: 04/03/2013 at 12:15
04/03/2013 at 12:25

ha ha ha indeed!

Hmm still not convinced on the breezing it but Im going to give it a damn good try!

On paper it sounds really simple and 13.5 hours should be more than enough, in practice however 4 miles an hour may seem like rocket speed once I have 40 miles under my belt!

04/03/2013 at 13:11

to be honest, even in my prime i couldn't conceive the idea of running those sorts of distances - you do seem to have got your head round it all - I struggled mentally with 10 - I think to be honest it is the pace I run at these days doens't help- I know I shouldn't but I can't help but to compare - Oh well that is why i joined this thread - Starting Again from the Beginning

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.