Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,721 to 2,740 of 6,150 messages
14/03/2013 at 18:34

Its just a pity I don't see them outside, I would have looked a darn site more comfortable even after double the distance!

14/03/2013 at 20:47

Thanks for replying Back2Basics.

since i posted.. i;ve found a generic running plan for 5k beginers and will follow that , so as to get some sort of structure.....and try and get the "Newboyoutus" under controll.

Go Well

Mon Ami.

15/03/2013 at 09:02

No probs Mon Ami! we are all very friendly in here feel free to ask as many questions as you need!

Treat your plan as a guideline as you sound to me like you are way past a beginners 5k and already have a great time.

The control bit is a good thing to learn but I for one am in no way Yoda on this subject! I tend to run a very unstructured pattern at random speeds and distances just read over some of my posts and you will see what I mean ha ha ha!

Well a small update after the dreadmill sesh, the back of my leg is still grumpy so its rest and stretch for me for a couple then say a 6 or so to test it next week

15/03/2013 at 09:21

Welcome Mon Ami, the schedule is the way forward as no one can go out and run as hard as possible everytime they go out - and don't let B2B fool you - with his vast knowledge of stuff, Yoda he is,

Had a good week this week despite the attempt to run bare foot for 65 minutes!!! calves have finally settled down and the blisters on the soles of my feet have gone now, so have managed to squeeze in 28 miles this week so far so should hit 40 plus again this week but will then start to cut back a bit before Braintree - may even take a couple of rest days each week -

2013  406.82  - 400 done 1200 to go.

15/03/2013 at 09:31

mmm rest you must Grendel or the dark side you might find! *cough cough* cor sorry about that think I had a frog in my throat! 

I think I need to start putting the small runs in again as just doing 2 long runs doesn't seem to be working out....thoughts?

15/03/2013 at 11:00

Some shorter runs would'nt hurt just to keep the muscles working - I really don't think you need to do to much in the way of speed work at the moment given your current goals.

15/03/2013 at 11:31

indeed! Was just thinking that I haven't really been able to push the big millage due to weather so maybe I just need to get some miles in any way I can!

15/03/2013 at 13:03

I sort of think you may be right in that - I know you do your longer runs at odd hours because of your band stuff etc - but it can't be much fun going out at midnight to do a 3 hour run - the accumulated effect must help in the 'long run' Funnily enough going back to the old days - the cut off point to hitting the wall was 3 times the average daily mileage for the 8 weeks before the marathon - just a thought - if that makes sense.

15/03/2013 at 13:13

I wonder if there is any correlation in running at really odd times (like at midnight) in terms of your biorhythms and stuff ........ someone must have done some research on that. Surely it cant be healthy to do lots of running at a time when your body is naturally shutting down. 

15/03/2013 at 15:11

Well that is a good point DF3, I also read about not running in the morning though as your body isnt ready for it!

Personally I find if I run in the morning I go through all of the emotions of not feeling great to amazing and then back again. When I run in the evening everything just seems a little more stable and easy to handle. 

Not sure I fully understand Grendel? So if you add all the miles up over the 8 week run up, divide them to get your miles a day, times it by 3 and that gives you when to expect the wall?  *brain overload!* 

15/03/2013 at 16:03

Yeah basically that was it - so I tried to average 9 miles a day so that I could reasonably expect to hit the wall at 27 miles - may have been bollox!!! though.

15/03/2013 at 16:08

hmm sounds a little fishy to me but I shall add mine up and see if it makes sense! Basically that means if it turns out that my "wall" is any sooner than 50 miles then its rubbish and I want my money back ha ha ha

I already think that I havnt done enought training but that calc could claw it back

15/03/2013 at 16:10

Morning runs definitely best!

After sleeping, your body is in a semi-fasted state, and its carbohydrate stores are depleted. Carbs are your body's usual source of energy, so when they're not available, your body burns fat tissue to fuel your workout instead. Provided you keep your running at a low-to-moderate intensity, your body will burn primarily fat for fuel. For those interested in strength training, morning runs free up the evening for weights.    
15/03/2013 at 16:29

hmm so if i take my miles so far that means I should hit a wall at 6.69 miles?! pfffft balls that really means im not running enough! The wall is around 18/20 at the moment!

JR - The only small problem with that is that if you are running really far you run out of fat and start to breakdown muscle instead! The main issue for me is that I have IBS so   I have to be awake for a while before a run to make sure everything is...well....erm...working properly before I leave the house and don't get stranded without  a convenience!  

Pretty much all of my night runs are calculated so I leave with an empty belly to achieve the same kind of morning idea from my bodies point of view with the added bonus that I am awake, slightly tired already and everything is working as it should.

I find it really interesting how people run at different times and wonder if it really makes a difference or if its just all in our heads? The wonderful thing about early runs is its all out of the way! The wonderful thing about running at night is its in the way and so becomes an event in its self...."what are you doing tonight?" running is just a nice reply and it lets me ponder on it all day! 

Maybe im just a geek? 

15/03/2013 at 16:41
15/03/2013 at 21:12

B2B, i also suffer with ibs, however, i have found dynamic stretching a great help in the mornings! I have run 15 miles first thing and know others on the monthly challenge thread who top that! Eating the previous evening (carb loading) can avoid muscle breakdown.

16/03/2013 at 10:15

.....and would you not combat that by taking on fuel during a run? Gels, chia seeds etc? I just think your body is in it's best shape first thing?

Nice easy (ish) 5.5 miles this morning around the lanes. Had to stop for a "Paula" half way round and stopped to look out over the green fields at the highest point of the run. Lambs (getting plenty fat enough now!) running freely in the morning sun, a simply gorgeous morning and so wish I had taken my camera!

2013 - 81.97

Edited: 16/03/2013 at 10:19
16/03/2013 at 10:23

.....B2B, looks like i'm all set for a stroke with my early morning runs?

Or you could read this......http://running.about.com/od/motivation/f/Whats-The-Best-Time-Of-Day-To-Run.htm

16/03/2013 at 10:25

Or this....which would back up the theory of "performance" being best in the afternoon.

http://running.competitor.com/2012/10/training/what-is-the-best-time-of-day-to-run_9031

16/03/2013 at 10:27
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.