Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

2,801 to 2,820 of 6,127 messages
24/03/2013 at 20:58

Trouble is JR with this weather anyform of chest infection or whatever the cold won't help.

Nick - 12 miles on the treadmill - don't think I ever managed 7 - well done for sheer bloody mindedness!!!! 

For me a cold day, the wind whipping the sand up into my face as I struggled to make progress into Clacton, past the local cafe, which from the early hours of this morning had become a burnt out crime scene. A lone law enforcement officer sat huddled in his car waiting for back up.  for me, 8 miles run, 4 into a very cold wind but 4 back the smell of burnt cafe still hanging in the air. A great feeling to have conquered the elements. (AND looks round and whispers - I had a rest day yesterday!!!)

25/03/2013 at 10:06

a....rest!? Grendel I think you account has been hacked! Someone else is telling lies about you! 

Rest up JR chest stuff is not to be messed with! Well not in this weather anyway!

12 miles on the dreadmill!! Ive done a 10....once...never ever again! Well done!

Cold, cold, cold weekend! 

This weekend as you all know was the weekend of the TP100.

Brother in law tried this last year as his first and got taken down after 71 miles by his shins giving up. He then tried a mental one in Cornwall to be taken down at 62 by crazy elevation. NDW50 came next in august all was going swimmingly till he came into an aid station sideways and dislocated his shoulder at around 27 miles.

So the TP100 was revenge time....well that was the plan!

Mother nature decided to spice things up a little by flooding the route forcing a change to the original plan....60 miles of it making it now 102 miles.

So every long distance runners dream was concocted, the dreaded back and forth!

This "lap" style works well on smaller distances on 102 miles however.....

In long distance running you really want to go point to point, turning around and knowing that you have to head back to the start only to be told to turn around again....then again and again is enough to break a even the strongest of minds.

So 160 odd people are churning back and forth basically mashing up fields, trying not to go mad or be taken down by the cold. Its cold, really cold and I am scheduled to meet said BIL at mile 82 to put in my 20 mile pacing duties.

Needless to say my enthusiasm was starting to wain a little but still I thought, its 20 miles, man up he would have already done 82!!

Got a phone call saying he was at 38 "its cold man! The mud is ridiculous your sandals will just get ripped off!" sh@t, time for a new plan.

Got a lift back home to grab my merrell trail gloves as it was the only real thing I had left. Spoke to him again at around 52 he sounded alert by cold.

1.27am *knock on the door* its father in law "we need to go and pick him up" so we grabbed everything we could and bundled into the car and headed for the directions he gave us.

He felt his temperature start to drop badly and knew the next stage was hypothermia. Fortunately they had set up emergency aid stations in the form of a car between the main stations so he jumped into one of those and tried to stay warm while we went to get him.

63 miles. Next time TP100, next time! 

He was gracious in defeat this time and settled for staying alive rather than trying to be a hero.

He is still a hero in my eyes.

By the time we got home and had some tea it was around 3.30am, around the time I was meant to start running.....I went to bed.

I didnt get to run but it did something to me, the fire in my belly is back! I feel like I have turned a corner.

New gear, new focus. If im awake, im training be it body or mind....its on.

Time to get a sports massage and fix this leg....things just got serious

25/03/2013 at 12:12

Sorry it didn't happen B2B - but 62 miles is a long way anyway and with the extreme conditions - running in that wind must have been a nightmare. So best to leave it for another day - So now time for oyu to get serious and hit those trails - via a massage.

25/03/2013 at 12:23

Indeed! Need a ruddy good hiding and work out all the kinks then get on it! Not long to go now in the scheme of things

How you feeling for Braintree?

25/03/2013 at 22:05

B2B thats a great read and hope the bother in law is OK now.

There was an American guy who had a web site who used to do these 24 hour race things around tracks, was a great read as he used to post daily. Cant for the life of me remember the name of it. Was brilliant read and wish I could remember the name its bugging me now so if anyone here knows what it was let me know !!

Almost embarrases me to put this now but was out again for anotehr 2.6 today. One thing I have learned on this comeback is its going to take a while !!

March 7.8 miles

2013 13 miles 

25/03/2013 at 23:08
Well done 3.30! Never ever be embarrassed, you are running for you and it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks!
26/03/2013 at 09:28

Not feeling very positive for Braintree - my left hamstring and the ice has pretty much put paid to any form of speed work for a few weeks now and the extra mileage I have run has knocked the stuffing out of my legs - I am running every other day now in hopes that I can get some bounce back and eating Nurofen like smarties!!!!

3:30 as B2B says don't be embarrased - it does take a while to get back but it is worth it.

26/03/2013 at 11:52

The hard work is done Grendel maybe a sports massage to fix the leg? Im looking into getting one.

Just ordered some ninja tabi boots as a new running experiment!  I figure they have all the right stuff...light, thin, built in gators, feels like a sandal but with covering and wont get sucked off my feet in the mud! On paper the perfect choice for winter, in reality?

26/03/2013 at 12:19

B2B

You are actually going to run in these?

26/03/2013 at 12:30

oooooooooooooooooooo yes!

26/03/2013 at 12:39

Just found a really interesting article regarding tabi...

http://www.tofugu.com/2012/12/12/tabi/

26/03/2013 at 15:08

Cant be much cushioning in those mate ? think I will stick to the old Mizuno wavr inspire.

But really intersting artivle there

26/03/2013 at 15:25

Be careful when you run in them - you'll be leaving some strange footprints out in the wilds of Hertfordhire!! SKy News will be out there with film crews looking for Pan.

26/03/2013 at 16:14

ha ha ha I love that idea Grendel! 

3:30 well I already run in sandals so cushioning is the last thing I look for Im just really interested in trying them out! Ive never once caught a ninja running so they must be damn fast! 

26/03/2013 at 16:59

B2B

I used to work near Leavesden Studios you round that way?

Actually tempted to go out tonigh but gonna stick with my every other day routine for a bit. Want to make sure this comeback is done propely. No need to rush

Edited: 26/03/2013 at 17:00
27/03/2013 at 09:53

Not too far, im in the sunny Borehamwood

Good plan!

27/03/2013 at 15:35

Hi all,

Ran 8.5 miles yesterday which was the first run for nearly a week. Looking forward to getting out some day soon with the temperature above zero. Today is now the 12th day of snow.

On Monday I had a good walk round the local woods. The snow was more than knee deep in places and it certainly gave the legs a good workout. looks like it will be a while before i can run the trails again.

Another trip to the dentist this morning to get some more work done for the implants. All being well it will all be finished in 3 weeks time. I have had to wear a denture since before Xmas and I'm fed up of it. I spend most of the time without 4 front teeth rather than wear it.

Hope you get sorted for your race Grendel its been a lot of work getting this far.

3:30 - We were all in your position not so long ago, one day you will get over the hump and it will all seem so much easier

B2B - You're becoming a gear junkie, you may need help. Hope the massage helps your aches and pains

27/03/2013 at 16:02

HRHB - ha ha ha I think you may have a point there! My blog seems to be my therapy....or maybe it is the cause?

With HRHB`s comment in mind lets have a breakdown of gear you own....

Luna sandals, Xero shoes, merrell trail gloves, vibram five fingers, injinji socks, ronhil leggins, nike dry fit shorts, raceready shorts, 2x hind running tops, nike dry fit full length top, tech tops erm...x5 I think? compressport calf guards, buff, cold killer gloves, garmin forerunner 110, tresspass bum bag thing, cheap camelback rip off rucksack, Ultimate Direction AK vest, regatta outdoor coat, tresspass head torch.........................

hmmm being able to list that off is a little worrying.....Doctor!

27/03/2013 at 17:51

Only just starting to get back into things from xmas in truth. A combination of work and weather have ensured i've managed to get out the house no more than half a dozen times since xmas.

Drove myself down to the local lake and put in a lap of about a mile and half. Felt really really good. i'll get back into the gym for some weights tomorrow and then Friday make an attempt of one and a half laps of the same lake.

27/03/2013 at 18:25

Back out again today another 2.6 in the bank

HRHB thanks sure it will get easier. Weather seems really bad your way we get flurries most days but nothing that lies.

Gareth - I used to like to drive down to the seafront and run along there but since my daughter wrote the car off I am car-less. Although its only a mile away its down a massive hill and I am in no shape to run up the bl**dy thing !! One day maybe !!

March 10.4

2013 15.6

Edited: 27/03/2013 at 18:42
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.