Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

3,401 to 3,420 of 7,047 messages
21/06/2013 at 10:21

Grendel, I did the notts half in 2003 so not sure whats changed with the course but there was no lace for the finishers when I did it!  What a great idea...  I'm hoping I will be better prepared for my second ever half, a decade later, at Dartvale in oct 

21/06/2013 at 11:28

I did it for 10 years between 1985 and 1995 and each year the finishers got a piece of framed nottingham lace, it was a different design each year (mainly incorporating Robin Hood) about a foot square in a glassed frame -

21/06/2013 at 18:08

Grendel - am going for it. If I haven't posted by 1pm send out a search party !!

21/06/2013 at 19:50

Hi All,

I'm starting to run again after 12 weeks out for a badly sprained ankle. Am managing short distances at the moment (2k) but it feels fab to be running again, and my pace is faster than it ever was before which is a nice by-product of having some enforced time out!

I was thinking of entering Pride Run in August but am a bit wary of overdoing it and damaging my ankle again....any words of advice on running after injury?

21/06/2013 at 21:04

Hello all,

hello Becky, well done for getting back out there.  Wobble boards can be good for strengthening ankles after injury.  JustRun recommended one to me and I found it really helpful.

good luck with the 9 3:30, fortune favours the brave and all that....

happy running all

22/06/2013 at 11:35

All - I failed in my attempt to run 9.

I ran 12.88 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I had planned the route and turn round point but the roads are not well sign posted so missed it so decided to go onto the next landmark as I need to know exactly how far I run. So ran to the Faslance naval base

12.88 miles of even pace 10:26 a mile. Last week ran 8.34 miles at 10:14 so gotta be pleased with that

Just shows how much of the running lark is mental I started this comeback seriously on 17/4 with 2.6 miles @ 10:48

My plan is a half in under 2 hours next March time. So got the distance sorted now need to get the pace upped.

I am buzzing, the last 2 weeks I have pushed it and won the battle

Happy running everyone from an over the moon 3:30

22/06/2013 at 12:17

Welcome Becky - the only advice really is to listen to your body and take it easy - little steps. if it hurts back off a bit, but just try and increase distance a little bit at a time -

Well done 3:30 certainly upped the mileage there - am green with envy, decided to nurse my calf/achilles a bit today so did a very very slow 6 miles, am going to do the 12 tomorrow but very slowly  and on the flat - will do laps just in case. But found the pain manageable this morning.

Good weekend all.

22/06/2013 at 12:23

Thanks Grendel - be carefull mate good idea to run laps

And welcome Becky

DB9
22/06/2013 at 20:58

Welcome Becky...you'll get loads of advice from the sages on here and a great ship load of encouragement..getting you out there when you think you don't really want to be...

DB9 update...4 yesterday on the same course as Thursday and 30+ seconds quicker so pleased with that.  This morning a very slow and wet 3, tired and not looking forward to the 9 I agreed to do with 3:30....tmz

We'll see - 20 for the week so far - lets see how we are mile by mile....

Hope

DB9
22/06/2013 at 21:22

Good luck DB9,  I really wish I had done the 12 this morning!!! got it out the way.

22/06/2013 at 21:25

Hi Becky, good luck getting back into running! 

Well done 3:30 that's really great! 

Well the GES got postponed due to bad weather, so I've entered the London one incase it gets cancelled altogether. I am gutted but understand it was for safety reasons. I'm going to convince myself to go for a long run tomorrow now instead, not sure which route yet so not sure what distance i'll cover.

Good luck to everyone for your runs tomorrow!

DB9
22/06/2013 at 21:46

Good luck you long runners and well done 3:30...

Catch up tmw

DB9
DB9
22/06/2013 at 21:48

Take it slow Grendel...no point in pushing it just yet

DB9
23/06/2013 at 09:26

Lisa a friend who lives round the corner from the reservoir and who was also gutted as she had been training in open water for a while, said the conditions up there were bad so sounds like the right decision.

My goal since the start of June has been to run 15 miles comfortably by Christmas. Well 14 run this morning.  Could I run another mile, definitely yes, could I add the word comfortably? No!!!!

23/06/2013 at 10:50

Hi All, wanted to join a forum and this one seems to suit what I'm doing at the moment. I started running again back in 2009 when I did the London Marathon, first time in 20 years I had actually run, and wasn't even good before that! I did it in 51/2 hours, not quick but made it round, then this the 2010 unorthodox run in 2 1/2, again pretty slow. I then stopped for some reason but adoing the north run this year with a goal of a sub 2hr run. My fastest 10k to date is 52 mins, but am a struggling with my breathing and was after some advice from people here on what technique to use. There are so many different theories and advice from people, I'm hoping there may be someone out there who can help! I went out yesterday and did a gentle 6miles, but really struggled to regulate my breathing....any ideas???   Keep on running 

23/06/2013 at 11:09

Certainly come to the right place, 40+ (i'm not the right person to talk to about it but the others are a mine of information about the correct technique so some one will be able to help)

23/06/2013 at 12:16

Grendel I saw a pic the Great Swim had posted on twitter and the reservoir looked more like the sea so def the right choice! You're running really well, keep going, be proud!

Well I only managed 6.8m today, although this is my longest run so far this year! I chose a really hilly run (not sure why) but I haven't run that route for years and wanted to give it a go. Needless to say it knackered me out as it was hot too but kept an overall 9min mile.

40+Runner, my breathing tends to be breathe out for 3 steps then in for 3 steps etc. It works for me, keeps me paced and steady? I don't even realise I do it anymore.

23/06/2013 at 17:34

Hello all,

ran a really nice 7.26 today with my sister.  Chatted all the way round, really chuffed with the distance, took 1 1/14 hours so that's not too bad for me.

hello 40+,  maybe you could try some shorter, faster runs, mix it up a bit?  Not expert but isn't it about raising your VO2 max so that you're more comfortable at your regular pace and don't feel you're about to leave your lungs on the pavement everytime you go out?  Having said all that, I haven't chosen a snail picture for no good reason!  I just found that after a few months of feeling as if my lungs were about to burst, the breathing just got easier.

happy running all

24/06/2013 at 06:31

Hi everyone, apologies for my absence. Had a while week off running. Will catch up with the thread tonight but up for an easy 5 miles this morning in 49:31.

June – 50.03

2013 – 245.75

24/06/2013 at 07:53

Welcome back Just Run

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.