Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

3,561 to 3,580 of 7,371 messages
07/07/2013 at 19:24

Just come back from a 2.76 mile dog walk in my flip flops.

What i did notice IS a was walking midfoot and NOT heel striking!!

How come when in trainers i heel strike??

Maybe i should take up running in flipflops Lol.

07/07/2013 at 19:59

when you wear trainers kevin you have cushioning to take away the pain of heel striking. when wearing flip flops or running barefoot heel striking is uncomfortable or painful, forcing you to push off mid or forefoot 

08/07/2013 at 08:56

JR - Yeah im sure I will be fine its just pre race jitters! 10 mile eh?! NICE! This thread is turning into a testament to hard work and perseverance! 8mm is a large difference in leg length! No wonder you were having all the problems before seeing the physio! I wonder if anything could be done about that naturally? Probably take sooooo long though and more than likely pick up some injuries along the way. So glad you found something that works! Yeah I agree with the business side, its all about money at the end of the day. The only exception being barefoot studies, tough to sell no shoes! 

Kev - Not heel striking when walking?! *scratches head* ok you got me! When walking you should be heel striking?! JR is spot on on the difference for when your running but the walking shouldn't really change? Maybe your flip flops are too big? 

08/07/2013 at 09:55

Perfect running weather here in Helensburgh nice and cool and overcast. I wanna go now but work is getting in the way

08/07/2013 at 11:50

stoooopid work! 

Its looking like it gonna be a really hot one at the weekend *gulp!* 

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 11:51
08/07/2013 at 13:25

Will be back later - just need to catch up a bit - To be honest I can't really offer much advice re footplanst etc - BUT am having an easier week so have listened a bit about having rest days!!!

08/07/2013 at 14:20

wait wait wait!! The weather is hot, Grendel is taking rest days, what the hell is going on?!??! 

08/07/2013 at 14:56

The last few weeks have been quite tough - have now done 12s, 14 and 2 times 15 - in terms of distance I am miles ahead of where I needed to be - so for once I am going to listen to you lot and drop back a bit before building up further.

08/07/2013 at 15:55

nice one Grendel! You will be hitting 20`s soon enough! Your marathon time is gonna be a good one! I think after my 24 hr in september I might start working on getting a little quicker at marathon and 50 in preporation for next year. I want my 100 miles in 24 hour buckle! 

Edited: 08/07/2013 at 15:56
08/07/2013 at 16:20

Oooft !!

Temperature has sored here in Helensburgh

But after last weeks disaster mileage wise got to get out so am off for a very slow very easy 5.

08/07/2013 at 20:53

WK2- R1 done 

waited till sun went down though Lol.

08/07/2013 at 20:56

Went for a 10k run yesterday (8am and it was still hot), but my knees started to hurt right at the end. It's a rest day today but worried I wont be able to go out tomorrow as they still feel sore? Shame as fitness wise I felt great and wanted to go further! I'm pretty sure I did a negative split too as I definitely felt stronger in the second half? (which never normally happens). Might change back to flat insoles instead of moulded ones just to see as I haven't had problems with my knees since having supporting trainers, and that's the only thing I have changed recently?

08/07/2013 at 21:16

Lisa - if you had no problems before why change to the moulded insoles ?

Boy was hot out there, very slow hot sticky 5 miles

B2B - you got an ultra in mind for your 100?

Grendel your doing well your gonna smash that marathon

08/07/2013 at 21:30

Funny you should say that lisa,

My knees have been aching every day since starting running again with these support trainers and moulded insols.

Just put mine down to early days though, was thinking of taking some glucosamine. 

Be interested to hear how you get on after swapping the insols back.

09/07/2013 at 06:31

Lisa, are you wearing moulded insoles in supportive shoes? If so, I reckon I can tell you why your knees are aching! Supportive shoes should not contain moulded insoles or orthotics as far as i'm aware.

I think neutral/cushioned shoes are what you need.

330, know how you feel, bring on the rain lol

Nice easy 5 miles this morning, much cooler and even upped the pace a little over the last half mile. Felt very comfortable despite knees aching a little after Sundays run. When I finished my legs genuinely felt like they were still full of bounce.

July - 19.72

2013 – 285.84

09/07/2013 at 08:04

Lisa - JR is of course perfectly correct. Years ago when I thought about it I read that insoles or orthotics go with Neutral shoes.

Supportive shoes provide the support themselves so if you have moulded insoles you are basically getting "double" support. I would go back to wherever you got the insoles if they advised buying support shoes and to use moulded insoles - and tell them they are wrong and get your money back

Wish I had gone out in the AM as well JR !! Still will be out tonight slow pace. Giving myself a target is another little insentive

09/07/2013 at 08:20

Good man 330. I have found my race to give me the incentice to put in the training. Taunton 10k, 29th September. Etched onto the calendar, diary page blocked and phone diary also. This race will not be missed. I have asked a coupke of lads in work and they are up for entering too. I have a feeling my wife will also want to do this one as shes run it before. 

B2B, I think the difference with swimmers is they are taking part in a non impact sport.They have all the cushioning they need from the water. 

09/07/2013 at 17:50

Thanks for the info, yes I was given supportive shoes (as per previous trainers which I found great) and moulded insoles. Having another rest day today to give knees slightly longer to recover, then going to go out tomorrow with the normal insoles back in. If ok I will take the insoles back and get my money back.

09/07/2013 at 19:14

I'm thinking of taking my shoes back and going for mizuno nutrel ones as i had them before and no knee prob's before,

Also looking into the pose method of running as well, (looks better than chi) dont think i can do pose running in suported shoes anyway.

Don't know what to do for the best at the moment, had an ice pack on my chin last night and tonight as i hurt it yesterday( only on week 2 ) as well?

09/07/2013 at 21:36

lol Kevin, how did you hurt your chin? That's a new running injury on me!

Seriously though, your shins will get better. Keep the running easy, don't push it. Ice every hour for 20 minutes any evening you can and as long as it doesn't get to a 7 or 8 out of 10 on the pain scale then just keep plodding away. If it gets worse, then seek advice form a professional.

If you're really worried then please don't be afraid to repeat a week!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.