Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

3,761 to 3,780 of 7,043 messages
30/07/2013 at 11:58

I've got an appointment with dentist on Thursday so hopefully some antibiotics or a punch in the jaw to remove the offending tooth - not sure which I would prefer at the moment - I am taking a tablet every two hours - alternating Paracetomol with Ibuprofen before hitting the anadin extra at night. Feel totally zonked at the moment - working 6 days out of 7 , 3 desk bound 3 cleaning at a local holiday  park.

Running wise need to take it a little easy - managed a slow 5 yesterday and followed up that with a 6 this morning - have a fartlek scheduled tomorrow - pretty much my favourite run of the week -

I sort of imagine the dentist will give me a course of antibiotics before taking tooth out - has anyone had any experience of running on antibiotics?

Edited: 30/07/2013 at 11:58
30/07/2013 at 12:57

cant really help you with that one Grendel, everytime I have had them was because of throat or chest infections so running wasnt going to happen anyway! 

30/07/2013 at 14:04

JR did you do the Haytor Heller in the end?  It was sold out by the time I got round to entering.  

30/07/2013 at 14:13

Are there still any beginners on here, you all sound like pros now

30/07/2013 at 14:47

well i guess we did all start again from the beginning, there was nothing to say we had to stop! 

30/07/2013 at 15:05

Lesley I suppose it seems that way as the thread started over 2 years ago and we have all started again from the beginning at various stages - we do try to provide support to everyone as we have all been there - and unlike some threads on here don't tend to criticise or be to clichy.

30/07/2013 at 15:08

+10000000 Grendel

30/07/2013 at 15:18

5k at lunch for me today as I had a stupid meeting at work and missed spinning 

Oh well, 32:30 on the "dreadmill" not bad. 

Out with Mummysaurus tonight for another 5k

Oh and I was trying out my new Skins compression shorts, wonderful so far and really really comfy!

2013 - 438.79

milo - 189.58 (gym so no Milo)

30/07/2013 at 15:43

B2B I used to know an ultra guy called Stephem Moore, he was pretty quick up to 100K - ran for Britain in his 50s - used to disapear for hours up on the fells in the Lake district training - he once, on Christmas eve, having delayed his journey from their Hertfordshire home to their Lake District cottage so he could go for a training run, arrived up north to discover he had left his wife's Christmas Pressies etc at home!!!  Anyway to cut an already long story shorter, in his spare time he was something high up in NatWest - he once left a client waiting for over an hour and a half so he could go for his run - the moral is that the meetings at work should always be delayed for ultra training!!!

30/07/2013 at 16:13

ha ha ha brilliant! Unfortunatly I am but a lowly lighting designer, I have no power! I do however seem to get a lot of time on here! shhhhh! 

30/07/2013 at 18:48

Hello all!

i can't unpack any more boxes or sort anymore crap....

i cracked this afternoon and left the kids with Mr Neez and headed out.  Ran my Fingle Bridge route (5.8m) .  Had to run walk the hill up from Fingle to Castle Drogo because its soo steep but its always worth the climb.  My ITB started hurting again on the descent so I had to walk the last bit but.... It was fine going the last mike over the flat.   it's the downhills that do it.

Cow watch:- a herd appeared from no where at the end of the run to block the path back to my car (psychic cows?) however, they were well behaved, so I will let them off.

happy running folks

30/07/2013 at 18:57

Sorry Grendel, don't know what effects antibiotics might have when you run.  Be careful with the ibuprofen though, if you take it and get dehydrated, it will become more concentrated, therefore your kidneys have to work harder to metabolise it, potentially leading to kidney damage.

oh doom and gloom!

be like a grape ..... Not a raisin

Edited: 30/07/2013 at 19:59
30/07/2013 at 20:03

Ahhhhhhhhhhh, poxy knee. Wanted to go for a speed run today, and poss tomorrow, ready for Sundays York 10k, but my knee is still playing up..and sensibly I haven't run since Sunday, but its really annoying me as I was doing so well in my endurance training. Think its all linked with my spd issues (pelvic issues). Other than up my physio/strengthening exercises I don't know what to do??

30/07/2013 at 20:31

No idea about the antibiotics Grendel? Best to ask some professional advice maybe? Great story on the Natwest guy, nothing should get in the way of running! I know a guy who used to work shifts and during the dark winter nights would sneak out after dark and run around the trading estate while his machines were running. Can’t…ahem….quite remember his name.

Gammineez, I missed the boat with the Haytor Heller too. Already full by the time I was able to confirm entry. Taunton 10k end of September my next target. My left knee will never be perfect but I find squats help by strengthening my quads and now fly downhill. Bloody cows eh? Isn’t it great running in the countryside!

Liversedge Lesley2, you are more than welcome in here. It’s true, we have all come a long way but encourage people of all levels and at all stages of running to join in. Theres no minimum mileage required, just make yourself at home.

B2B, how much were the shorts? I’m going to need either some compression shorts or tights for the winter months. I have some nike 2 in 1 shorts which are great most of the year but fancy upgrading for my longer or colder runs as my compression tops make so much difference to how I feel.

Lisa, take a couple of easy days, get those stretches in and see how you feel. No need for speed runs this close to the race, you won’t get any quicker before the race. You’ve done the training, now look after yourself and save it for the weekend.

30/07/2013 at 20:44

Thanks JR, you've just firmed up my thoughts...no running until the race!  I'm still going swimming on Thursday though lol. (stubborn) - it might help with the strengthening?

30/07/2013 at 20:49

Grendel3

I feel your pain, im off to dentist tomorrow been avoiding it for a week nowbut its getting worse. 

Think I have an infection in one of my back teeth though but not sure if it needs to come out or needs re filling.

Liversedge lesley2

I am a beginner on wk5 of C25K programme, but these guys are very helpful and encouraging so stick with us

30/07/2013 at 21:40

good luck tomorrow Kevin - mine can't be filled unfortunately and I can't afford (or indeed justify the cost of the crown - so will have to come out) 

Didn't know that about ibuprofen though so will be far more careful than I normally am -

31/07/2013 at 07:30

Good idea with the swimming Lisa, non impact but great workout. win win

Good luck with the dentist Kevin and Grendel. I feel your pain. Rather a 15 mile run than a visit to the dentist. 

Nice recovery run this morning in the drizzle after    Mondays hard effort. Stretched the legs out over the last half mile. Will update my mileage tonight. 

31/07/2013 at 08:13

Morning all

Lesley - as the others say stick with us - we all started from the beginning but as we have moved on all stuck together here - its a great little running club !!!

Grendel - love the Ultra marathon runner story !! Good luck at the dentist

JR - Good to see you out and about - still cant see the RW - Fetchies thread and all my bookmarks have gone but can still put my miles in and someone sent me a link for thread

I have hit "the wall" haven't been out since Saturdays 12.88, a run that I didnt enjoy in the last 2 miles as I struggled with midday heat (normally out by 8) at 10.30 mileing

Advice time : As you know my weekly runs are around 5/6 miles, for the last 6 Saturdays been doing 12 (quickest 9:18 pace) my plan is to do halfs next year starting in March - want to be doing sub 2 very least.

My thoughts are - Maybe putting in one midweek run at around 6/7 miles and cutting my long runs to maybe 9 for a month then 10 for month.

Was thinking my long runs at the moment are to long and slowing my pace ? That run Saturday was on a tougher coure than my normal 12 and really has affected me mentally struggling in last 2 miles

Anyway enough doom and gloom everyone here is doing brilliant and keep posting I catch up every evening just that as I haven't been out felt I had nothing to say !! defo back tonight. (that's what I thought the day before)

31/07/2013 at 08:57

Thanks everyone for your encouragement

I had a bit of a niggle yesterday in my left shin and wasnt sure whether to train or not especially as its my recovery week but the training schedule said 45 minutes.  As it was an ache rather than pain so I thought I would set off and see what it was like and could always go home if necessary.  It was fine, no problems at all so I did a 4 mile run and felt quite comfortable.  I only stopped once when I turned round to go home and took a quick drink and set back off so it must have been the heat that was affecting me as I feel so much better now its cooled down a bit

Good luck at the dentist guys I definitely symphasize, they strike a cold fear in me!

Lisa - Good luck with your race at the weekend, let us know how you get on!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.