Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

21 to 40 of 6,079 messages
13/03/2011 at 11:29
Theres nothing but a great sense of achievement and a natural high at the end of every run i complete! However, todays high was short lived as i strolled up my neighbours path to lend them my pressure washer only to be confronted by a rather large lady in what i can only describe as a pink babygrow. If that doesn't inspire me to shift a few more pounds and get in shape then nothing, and i mean nothing ever will! Sweet jesus! whatever next!
13/03/2011 at 11:35

One thing i have made sure i stick to on my running return are pre run dynamic stretches (theres a short video of them on here). They really get the blood flowing before a run. I follow this with a brisk 5 minute walk to the canal before i head off. With all my injury and muscle imbalance problems i have learned the hard way that a strict stretching routine, while making sure not to over do it, is very important. I know some people run without stretching and the arguement over whether to or not will go on forever, but for me there are certain areas of my body (especially hamstrings) that really do respond to a good stretching routine. I follow my run with 5 key static stretches, calves (x2) hamstrings quads and piraformis.

13/03/2011 at 14:50

No hassle.... can't take my own advice either, only been able to run roughly three mile since last tuesday, due to right calf playing up again... have now decided that the shoes are the problem.... Got to blame something!!!!!

Never been a strong believer in stretching before a run, but different things work for different people.. I used to know a runner in the past, who belived half a dozen cig's  was great before a run (kick start his lungs)...... could'nt argue about that either, he was running 10Km in 30/31 mins...

13/03/2011 at 15:44

I agree JR that natural high is is the best and keeps me coming back for more! As for the stretching, I have read that there is no need to stretch before running and to save the stretching for a rest day!

However I always do static stretches of my calves and hamstrings before running, it works for me. I also walk for atleast 3 minutes before starting to run and then run slowly for a couple of minutes before putting in too much effort. This seems logical to me but I would be interested in learning more about dynamic stretches.

Bluenose74 have you had your gait analysed? I haven't (but should have) and self diagnosed myself as a moderate overpronator and as such bought stability shoes. Am I right in thinking that if you are in doubt then stability shoes are always a safe option? 

13/03/2011 at 18:23

Cheers Addy, that was on my next to try (if this does'nt work) list...

Shoes. I haven't a clue about, there's thousands of threads on here that leave you a lot more confused..... But a bit of advice I was given (useless? You decide)..... A shoe thats right for you today, may not be right for you next month, working on the presumption that training brings weight loss, weight loss makes you faster, running faster changes your running style and a change in running style changes foot strike which leads to a different shoe.... Never said it was good!!!  

16/03/2011 at 14:14

Bluenose -  it might be right that the type of shoe you need changes - but surely, and I'm not an expert, the changes that occur from running are quite gradual, and each time you change your shoes you can then check what you need -

Me, I have always bought the cheapest that I find that are on sale - did make a mistake at the start of my 'come back' and bought a pair of Hi Tec Silver Shadows which lasted a month - so replaced them with a pair or New Balance something or other which are fine and actually cost less than the Silver Shadows off Amazon.

As someone who was involved in Running in the early 80s when there were not so many choices about, I think much that is written about trainers is rubbish

16/03/2011 at 14:15
And finally, have set a target for the 5 mile 'fun run' I am doing next Sunday the 27th March - 58 minutes and 12 seconds - exactly double the time I ran at my last 5 mile race in 1999.
18/03/2011 at 21:41

Tuesday 15 March - 2.57 miles

4 minutes run - 2 minutes walk x 5 reps

Ran in the dark again tonight with my headtorch. Find it difficult to judge my pace in the dark but just tried to take it easy as i gradually build up.

Friday 16 March - 2.63 miles

4 minutes run - 2 minutes walk

Ran with my wife this afternoon as i finish early on a Friday. Kept the pace easy and really enjoyed the run. Looking forward to Sunday now!

Week 5.2

Month 19.49

2011 19.49

Edited: 18/03/2011 at 21:44
20/03/2011 at 12:39

Sunday 20 March - 2.64 miles

Had two of the kids with me this morning on their bikes along the canal. Absolutely beautiful weather today. Kept the pace nice and easy again, feel ready to move up to the next level of my training plan as i have found it nice and easy this week. Resisted the temptation to speed up or get carried away though, just taking every run as it comes.

Week 7.84

Month 22.13

2011 22.13

21/03/2011 at 21:15

22/03/2011 at 21:11

Tuesday 22 March - 2.69 miles

5 minutes running, 3 minutes walking

Out in the dark again with my headtorch. Nice easy run, definately feels easier every time i go out now. Won't be long and i'll be up to 3 miles!

Week 2.69

Month 24.82

2011 24.82

23/03/2011 at 07:44

Good work JR! You are doing well. I on the other hand couldn't follow my own advice and ended up injuring my left ankle by over doing it. D'OH. I had a 5K the following sunday but fortunatley a few days rest was enough and I am back in action.

Have you entered any 5K's where you are? I think I will try and enter 1 a month to keep myself motivated and measure my progress. My first 5K was great!

24/03/2011 at 10:23

Well done Addy - I have my first race in 12 years Sunday over 5 miles - can't quite believe I am worried about not getting round or finishing last - but have already set my next target which will be in October over 10K that will give me a motivation to get out lose more wight and get fitter - it certainly helps to have a goal.

24/03/2011 at 22:17

Hi Addy, i have never entered a 5k, i've always been worried they'll all be too quick! The shortest distance i've done is 5 miles and the longest 10k so not much variance i'm afraid. I got my 10k time down to 52m 13s and was hoping to push under 50 minutes until my injuries kicked in about 18 months ago. I had half marathons, the London marathon and the Grizly at Seaton all on my planner until the dreaded achilles tendonitis kicked in.

I agree with the motivation a race entry gives you, it really spurs me on to get out the door. You can't beat having that race entry on your calendar to drive you on.

Good luck on Sunday Grendel, enjoy the race!!!

25/03/2011 at 22:44

Friday 25 March - 2.72 miles

Nice easy run along the canal after work with the wife, really hot today but another good run under my belt.

Week 5.41

Month 27.54

2011 27.54

26/03/2011 at 10:11

Mind if I join in?

I started running around eight years ago and had worked up to thirty muniutes running (approx 3 miles)  following the RW beginner's schedule when I had to stop running due to health problems.

I just started running again a few weeks ago after a seven year lay off and it's back to square one. It's so demoralising to have lost all that fitness (I used to cycle and play five-a-side twice a week as well as running). I tried to pick up again too fast and found I was getting worse with each run, so I'm starting again from the very beginning of the RW schedule.

I've done two of the first week's Run 1 min, Walk 90 secs x 8. It feels go so far. I'll be out again later today and if that goes OK, I'll be stepping it up to the weekk 2 schedule of Run 2 mins, Walk 1 min x7.

The main thing is that it feels good to be back out there.

27/03/2011 at 22:23

Good for you Rivvy.

I think building milage is the key at the stage, not really the pace. I think you should consider a 5K as a target.

JR don't worry about 5K runners all being too fast. Lots of people just do it for fun. I came 42nd out of 83 and that was a real confidence boost. I did it in 30.01mins, so my next target is under 30 mins!

Happy running all!

28/03/2011 at 08:46

Cheers Addy,

did my session on Run 1 min, walk 90 seconds on Saturday and it felt really good. Next run is tomorrow and wil be the first of the Run 2 min, Walk 2 min sessions.

Let's see how that goes.

If  it continues to go ok then I'll look out for a 5k near me in a couple of months.

28/03/2011 at 10:51

May I join you?   This thread is full of people in a similar position to me!

I'm having to start again, very gingerly, after being out of action for a year or so with a prolapsed disc in my lower back, which is only just now getting better.   I also hit the big five-0 earlier this month!

I'm going to start tomorrow with the beginners walk/run programme - looking forward to it, but a bit nervous of hurting my back.

28/03/2011 at 13:28

Good luck Sue. Getting started is the hardest part! But why tomorrow? Never put off til tomorrow what you could do today!

I hope your back will be okay. What does your doctor say? I sometimes get a sore back, not to the same degree, and am not convinced I am doing myself any favours by running. I keep imagining the discs compressing and the muscles stretching with each foot strike. Ofcourse on the other hand, going at it slowly might actually help strengthen the supporting muscles. Does anyone know?

21 to 40 of 6,079 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.