Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

141 to 160 of 6,959 messages
03/05/2011 at 22:38

Thank you for your welcomes. Miscarriage and PND is hard for everyone involved, and affects so many of us. My heart goes out to you and your families.

Well  I did it! I got some new shoes, dug my gear out of the cupboard, got the dog and out we went. I'm not quite as unfit as I thought I was - for two of my 1min runs I was so busy watching the dog that I found I'd run for 5 mins. So if I feel good for my next run I will go straight to run 2 walk 1 as I think I can do that. Emotionally I feel fab and proud of myself for doing it, and I need to hang on to that feeling .

Well done on your runs, guys. 8 min mile is a great target. I used to run a 28 min 5k but being a little older now I might not make that anymore! 

Hopefully my next run will be Thursday.

04/05/2011 at 16:50

Well done TopCat 2 I am sure that getting out there and just running will help enormously - I'm no great expert but I am sure that personal esteem plays a big factor in the road to recovery - my wife has pretty low self esteem at times - but she is getting there gradually - so for you one step at a time, but don' take any risks see how the 2 minutes goes and take a step back again if it to much - remember the whole point is to complete the session -  I did find when I started that anything more than a 1 minute recovery was to long which is why I increased the amount of running at the end of each week by 1 minute but kept the minute walk the same and oce I got to 5 minutes running reduced the recovery to 30 seconds and then nothing.

Posting on here has helped as well almost a public record to keep me motivated -

Well this morning 3.25 miles in 30 minutes well pleased felt I was going a bit quicker - yesterdays timed mile has given me that extra confidence to go a bit quicker - mind the quicker run today may make tomorrows planned 20 minutes fartlek a struggle!!

Happy running all (ps any spelling mistake - the spell check isn't working!!) 

Edited: 04/05/2011 at 21:23
05/05/2011 at 09:34

Well this mornings 'session' went better than I expected although the 10 minute warm up was very laboured!! I ended up doing 10 times 1 minute brisk with a minute walk recovery - had to cut the warm down short (by about 9 minutes) but enjoyed it asand listened to an old Jim Steinman album on the MP3 music thingy!!

Happy days

Good running all

05/05/2011 at 13:54

Aaarrrrgggg - injury.

Not posted for a couple of weeks.

Things were progressing nicely. I'd moved up to Run 5 Walk 2 x 4. Then last weekend I suddenly developed a very sore foot the day after a run. Extremely painful along sole of my foot on the outside.

Pain is bad in a morning but gets easier during the day to the point where there is hardly any pain at all.

Off to the Physio tomorrow, so I'll see what they have to say.

Hope everyone else is doing OK.

05/05/2011 at 19:42
I have also started running again after being out of action since March 2009. I started running a few months after my 40th in 2008 and it became like a drug. My problems started after buying a new pair of running shoes whether this was the cause I will never know. I would get out of bed in the morning and could not put my full weight on my right foot. I went to a sports injury clinic and got advice on exercises and some physio. I presumed I had Plantar fasciitis but the sports physio was non committal. Anyway fast forward to May 2nd 2011 and I just made the decision to go out for a short run no problems felt great. So have been out at 6am this Tuesday and today and yes I am having to run walk but it feels great to be back out, just have to pace myself and not do too much too soon one more thing I bought gel insoles for my ASICS and personally it has made a big difference.
05/05/2011 at 21:20
Without being a physio Paul it does sound like Plantar fasciitis - and the type of shoe you wear could cause the problem, I found that New Balance were the best for me as I needed a flexible shoe that allowed the tendon to move - Take it easy and welcome back to running!!!
06/05/2011 at 10:25

Tough one this morning - had intended having a big bowl of pasta last night to re-fuel - ended up having a bolw of cereal and some crisps - stiil managed to do 3.1 miles this morning though in 2 seconds over the 30 minutes so not to bad - have a rest day tomorrow with a 20 nminute or so jog with little grendel (assuming he still wants to do it) then 45 minutes on Sunday

Good weekend all and happy running 

06/05/2011 at 16:13

Well done on completing your run Topcat! As Grendel says if you need to take a step back at any point then do, don’t rush things!

Grendel, you must be well chuffed with the 3.25 mile run in 30 minutes, that’s really good going! Things seem to be going well for you, and a fartlek session too. You’re making me jealous now. Can’t wait until my running diary gets as busy as yours is now!

Sorry to hear about your injury Rivvy Runner but glad to hear you’ve done the sensible thing and started your rehab straight away by stopping running and getting down to the physio. Hope the diagnosis isn’t too bad and you’ll be back very soon.

Welcome Paul, glad to hear you’re giving running another go like so many of us. I hope your comeback is a successful one! Just listen to your body!

Friday 6 May 2011 - 2.8 miles - 13 minutes run / 2 minutes walk x 2

Nice run with the wife today along the canal. It was extremely warm when we went and has now cooled down considerably now we’ve finished, typical! Anyway, really enjoyable run, found it quite easy today and my ankle is feeling stronger all the time, my running form clearly improving and I just seem to be moving much better.

Week - 5.8

Month - 8.76

2011 - 70.75

Edited: 06/05/2011 at 16:14
06/05/2011 at 16:47

Good running Just Run - I'm sure the Fartlek and other stuff will come in good time - remember my background may have been a little bit different from yours as far as running goes - although it is now over 12 years ago - I am used to the idea of training every day (and even though my speed is slow I still see it as training) and i seem to have slipped back into the idea of 2 faster paced sessions each week - and as far as running goes I am quite competitive. It suddenly came to me this morning - the old adage train slow to run slow -

The other thing, and my post the other day about Post natal depression stuff gives a clue to the last 8 years and the freedom I am feeling now my son is 8 - means that I can get out run and lose the weight I had gained (or some of it as my wife doesn't want me looking like a skeleton again).  I feel great (won't say I look great) and certainly a lot fitter than I was before christmas -

So have a great weekend -

08/05/2011 at 10:48

Easy recovery run yesterday - 24 minutes  - with Junior Grendel riding his bike then this morning 40 minutes felt  absolutely shattered today - nearly trod on a small dog fish as I went along - must have been caught and then dumped on the path and left to die.

Edited: 08/05/2011 at 18:44
08/05/2011 at 21:06

Sunday 8 May - 13 minutes run / 2 minutes walk x 2 - 2.9 miles

A rather large roast dinner inside me but decided to get my run done and feel better for having done it. Did a 25 mile bike ride yesterday morning too so burnt a few calories this weekend! Felt pretty comfortable on my run, next step Tuesday - 14 minutes run / 1 minute walk.

Week - 8.7

Month - 11.66

2011 - 73.65

09/05/2011 at 09:19

Well done Just Run - coming along nicely there, not sure I would have wanted to go out with a large roast dinner inside!!!!

Felt tired this morning was going to cut it short but perked up a bit towards the end and did the 30 minutes - note to self must ditch the rain jacket way to hot now to be wearing it - will just have to put up with the tummy bouncing up and down - Good compliment though yesterday morning - I bloke I had a chat with when he saw me out running at the start of the year and the start of the journey  - spoke to me yesterday afternoon and said he had seen me out and about a couple of times and how well I was looking and more importantly how much weight it looked as if I had lost.  Happy days.

Nam
09/05/2011 at 10:37

Hello everybody.

I'm still here... LOL

Have been away on Lanzarote for a week.  Did lots of hiking, cycling and general walking and got my three runs in as well.

Must got myself organised this week as am now proud owner of a dog and so we have to work around new routines etc.  I can't leave her alone too much so we'll have to learn to run with each other.  LOL  At the moment she still likes to trip me up.

10/05/2011 at 09:42

Well done Nam - Lanzarote sounds good - and a dog to run with too!!!   I got myself an MP3 player to run with - not nearly so exciting!!!!

The schedule said do 3 times 3 minutes this morning - with 3 minutes recovery - I did actually end up doing 4 times 3 minutes but 1 minute recovery as I felt that the 3 minutes was going to be way to long  - felt quite good during it too.

Happy days!!!

10/05/2011 at 10:54

Hi again,

After 2 years out with Plantar Fasciitis that is my first week completed (yipee).

Diary so far

Monday 2nd Quick run only about 20 mins, foot felt fine but stamina rubbish.

Tuesday 3rd Early morning start 6am, out for 35 mins running on golf course and roads shattered but all ok with foot must admit had to stop a few times.

Thursday  5th Same again, 6am start out for 35 mins again having to walk run, but felt ok to atempt steep hill on golf course.

Sat 7th Later run this time 6pm with wife, and daughter on her bike, lots of stopping and starting but felt ok.

Tues 10th Out this morning 5.45 with my new running app on my phone ENDOMONDO what a great free apps this is, really good info that you can disect on your pc. Felt really heavy legged this morning and it was a bit of a stuggle but kept trying to reduce the walking breaks also tried out the gel sports soles that LIDL have on offer at present really good for £2.45.

Not sure if doing too much too soon, not doubt my body will tell me.

10/05/2011 at 11:08

Hello again everyone.  Sorry I've not been here for a while, but it's good to see some new faces!  Well done everyone for getting out there.

I'm pretty fed up.  My back is causing me a lot of pain at the moment, and the doctor has told me to stop running because the high impact isn't good for it.  I've had lower back (disc) problems for the past three years.

So I've decided to go right back to basics, and just walk.  Very frustrating, but it's much lower impact and much gentler on my aches and pains!  I'm aiming to "power walk" for half an hour three times a week, and see how it goes.

Nam
10/05/2011 at 11:22
Grendel3 wrote (see)

Well done Nam - Lanzarote sounds good - and a dog to run with too!!!   I got myself an MP3 player to run with - not nearly so exciting!!!!

Ah yes, but your MP3 won't try to trip you up!!! 

I think we'll try a shuffle tonight with the dog.  I have a little lake near me with a trail around it and she runs nicely off the lead... well a darn site better than on the lead anyway... Will report back and see how it goes.   I have a little interval timer which beeps after set times.  She is bound to find it interesting!! haha

10/05/2011 at 12:03

True Nam, I do keep the lead on the head phones very short!!!! so haven't tripped me up yet!!!! will look forward to hearing your progress!!!

Good running there Paul but maybe if you are having to stop and walk maybe you are trying to do to much to fast as I think the stamina does tend to go before speed when you take a forced break - maybe just reign it in slightly!

Sue it does sound as if the walking is the way to go - not quite the same but at least it means you can get out there and perhaps as you get fitter maybe able to break into a jog!!!

10/05/2011 at 20:20

Well done on the weight loss Grendel, compliments like that sure give you a boost. I’m struggling wearing my cycling jacket so you must be roasting in yours running!

Fair play to you for doing so much while away Nam, I like to run while I’m on holiday, gets the previous nights beer out of my system and sets you up for the day. Good luck with the new running partner.

Paul,

do you have some sort of schedule you’re sticking to? Its up to you but after so long out I would have thought a gentle introduction back to running would be sensible? Just take it easy!

Good luck with the new ‘power walking’ Sue, must be very frustrating but very sensible to sort it out. If running isn’t possible then walking sounds a good idea. How about a bicycle?

Tuesday 10 May - 14 minutes run / 1 minute walk x 2 - 2.9 miles

The walk break is down to just 1 minute now so took it nice and easy. Found the run a breeze, felt full of running even at the finish. Very confident for the rest of the week now before I attempt the full 30 minutes.

Week - 2.9

Month - 14.56

2011 - 76.55

11/05/2011 at 09:56

Went swimming last night - not sure how many lengths as my wife is not a confident swimmer so we just go half way up the pool and then back but plodded up and down for 40 minutes so I rekon that equates to around 15-18 lengths of the pool -  

Well well just checked a new route I did this morning which is according to map my run 3.36 miles - time taken 30:26 - which according to my calculation (actually Fetch worked it out) 9:03 minutes per mile - woo woo!!!

Seriously really pleased with that

Happy running everybody!!!

141 to 160 of 6,959 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.