Starting again from the beginning!

Feel free to join me!

1,801 to 1,820 of 7,328 messages
16/07/2012 at 09:43

ADS - I would look to have a few days between a long run and a speed session to be honest - you will already be tired from the long run so to expect to to do a speed session the next day is possibly asking a bit much - Just a thought.

16/07/2012 at 16:57

just a quick one, ill catch up properly soon...

5k at the gym today trying the chi running style....calves are really tight! Didn't quite get it and I might need to go out again tonight to stretch them out abit!

Also it means I can try out my Luna`s and my new hip pack!

2012 - 356.95

16/07/2012 at 20:47

Evening peeps!

Just got back from my first outing in the Luna`s.....WOW!

5 miles of trails and mud, didnt fall over, no cuts, nothing!

The adjustment to you feet takes a little while to get right but one its right...man its so much fun!  

Didnt really want to stop but thought I would be kind of sensible as im out again thursday.

Happy feets!

2012 - 361.95

Oh forgot to mention the hip pack....I got a Trespass one with 1 bottle holder...hmm not fully convinced as it bounces about unless you have it really tight, 2 bottles in it is just too much it really jumps around so today I went with just the one bottle and once you have it done up its not bad, was a nice change to have nothing on my back.

I think I will use it alot on my shorter runs or runs with close "aid stations"

Edited: 16/07/2012 at 20:52
17/07/2012 at 09:13

Glad you enjoyed your outing today B2B - 8 in total - the pictures on FB said it all - I am a bit envious that you have those trails to run on - but I suppose if I really wanted to I could run on the beach.

Well despite my mind and body saying no way, I did the the two times 10 minutes - I kept telling myself it was a tempo run and I do that type of pace all the time - well in the end the average time of 6:38 combined said I didn't quite manage tempo more of an interval session - was paced for a bit by one of my wife's work colleagues on his bike -  in the end he said bye and cycled off (but I noticed that I had started to catch him again as the 10 minutes ended - so pretty pleased with myself today). 

(oh yes a warm up and c down was involved too.)

Edited: 17/07/2012 at 09:13
17/07/2012 at 10:21

well done Grendel that sounds pretty tough!

Yeah never really thought about all the great places I have to run around here, just never really clicked before! 

Sorry and welcome to the new people in the thread! Ive just been doing very quick posts of late and havnt really been keeping up 

Hope everyone is doing well and anyone heard from the rest of the thread, Moonlight, Jeepers, Jackie etc..........

17/07/2012 at 11:42
Grendel - 6:38 combined? That is mental. If I could do a session like that by this time next year I'd be very happy.
17/07/2012 at 13:24

Have to try and get to a point where I can string that sort of pace together for a race - all those times seem along time ago and my goal of a sub 30 5 in October 2013 seems even further away.

18/07/2012 at 15:02

Unintentional 5.5k at the gym today, went in to do some weights and met a friend in there so jogged along next to him on the treadmill and ended up doing the 5.5k before I realised! oops!

Oh well its all good, should be out again tomorrow.

This week has turned into a "tough" week so I might do a double again tomorrow ( 5k at lunch and then 6 or so mile after work depending on how brave my cousin is feeling )

2012 - 365.36

18/07/2012 at 17:53
So - set out to do a 4 miler this evening, along the course of the 10k I'm running in September. The 4 miles includes all of the main hill for the course, it's just an extra 2.2 miles on the top of the hill for the full course.

Anyway, the aim for the 4 miles was to get as close to 32 mins as possible, i.e. the sub-50 min pace for the whole 10k. Set off full of energy after having two rest days at the start of the this week. Ran the first half up the hill in 16:11, eyeballs out, heart pumping, really not sure whether I'd be able to keep it going... (to put it into context, the fastest I'd ever gone up that hill before was 19:40)

Well, second half down the hill was even quicker - came home in a scarcely believable 14:49 for the second two miles. Total time on the garmin was 30:59:59 - 1 second inside 31 minutes, let alone 32. Pace was 7:45 min/miles.

Easily the hardest run I've ever done in my life in terms of effort, 10/10 on the perceived exertion. BUT - if I can somehow extend that pace for another 2.2 miles then that sub-50 target is beatable. 8 weeks to find the extra mileage.
18/07/2012 at 20:04

Hi all, just a quick post today. I'll catch up soon. Did 22 minutes (2.09 miles) along the canal, started off a bit crap but it got better the further i went. Will probably go out again Friday after work.

Month 12.84

Year 226.58

19/07/2012 at 14:02

First part of my "double up" day done....5k D&D 

2012 - 368.46

19/07/2012 at 15:54

Hey peeps, just saw an advert for this!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01l1yxk

Hopefully they will discover and confirm what ive been reading about!

Well that or ill have to start all over again by first....eating my hat!

19/07/2012 at 20:36

Back from the second part of my "double up".....10k of yummy muddy trails in my Luna`s!

This says it all!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kB890fs3GMU

2012 - 374.66

20/07/2012 at 10:56

Just a quickie - B2B did you watch the prog last night?

Quite inconclusive I thought and offered nothing new to any of the arguments.  The one thing that it didn't cover, (for me anyway) and the interview with Grahma Obre and his jam sandwiches sort of confirmed it. What ever the science (or lack of)  if the person taking a sports drink, a supplement, runing in minimal shoes or padded well cushioned shoes, believes that it helps then it helps - the power of the mind and beliefs will win in the end.

20/07/2012 at 13:37

I did give it a watch yeah, really inconclusive and contradicted its own discoveries!

The woman runs, takes her shoes off and runs, watches that there is less impact then says "try loads of shoes on and run in whatever is comfy"!!! 

I think they were approaching it in a good way but not all the way, it was approached from an "advertising claim vs there own scientific tests" which is good but then it should have gone into more depth with there own independent testing.

For example - I ran 100 miles in "science shoes" and ended up with shin splints,I then re trained my body to run in a minimal way and I don't get them anymore even after 370 miles.

The shoe vs barefoot part was really interesting as they kind of glazed over alot of other points, I dont think they put enough emphasis on the fact that changing your FORM is maybe more important than changing your SHOES.

My personal opinion is that the science shoe is alot harder to learn to change your form with as it encourages the wearer to be lazy and let the shoe do the hard work.

I came away from the programme, feeling like I hadnt really learnt much!

I think your right with the power of the mind, I just think that unfortunately the advertising and loose evidence behind it all means that what is in peoples minds can potentially be fatal or at the very least harmful.

I think the whole thing needs to be more transparent for the good of the runner, unfortunly there is just too much money to be made in it all for the conclution to be....drinks some water, eat bread and jam, oh and loose the shoes!

20/07/2012 at 14:08

Agree totally - I have long held the belief that there is a lot of crap spoken about the need to drink water in a race - the key for me is to make sure that you are always hydrated not just on the day of the race - I never ever took water from every drink station during the London Marathon - and the second marathon I did which was the first time I ran under 3 hours, was in Malta and the drinks were every 3 miles from 6 miles onwards - For shorter races I never bothered -

I think at some point in the programme it did suggest that it isn't necessarily what you wear, more a case of how you run that makes a difference - and given that a lot of people who start running or who do the marathon each year are bigger than the average Kenyan or Ethiopian and are on their feet for 5 hours plus, perhaps they do need cushioning etc - though they did seem to suggest the pronation and supination (?) thing is to a certain extent a pile of poo!! 

I remebr buying a big tub of maxim when it first came out and that was promising all manner of improvements - including a 10 minute improvement over 10 miles - well that never happened for me -

I did however use a protein supplement from a company called Joe Weider which coincided to me dropping my half PB from 78 to 75 - and I always believed that it had helped as it helped me to recover and train - but that may have just been the type of training I was doing at the time -

But then all that comes back to belief.

Rest day today - so a nice easy 3 miles done and dusted. (and a smacked wrist on Facebook for not taking a proper rest day!!!_

20/07/2012 at 14:24

Hi, just popping in from another thread (Just a little bit further 2012)

Liking what you said B2B about form vs shoes. Totally true.

Are you running in Luna Sandals? I haven't met anyone else who is using them

Cheers

20/07/2012 at 14:29

Grendel, i agree with the mind thing. Maybe we should all just get given a placebo from our gp once a month, we'll all be running pb's for life.

B2B, i think you've hit the nai on the head. A change in 'running form' would seem a much better way to go than a change in shoes.

As for the BBC, i'm not sure i believe anything they say anyway.

Nice easy 22 minutes after work with the wife, who was trying to bully me into running further. Resisted the temptation and stuck to the allotted 22 minutes covering 2.16 miles at an average10:17.

Month 15

Year 228.74

20/07/2012 at 14:30

Just realised this thread is "HOT!" lol

20/07/2012 at 15:11

Hi BeerMatt - Yeah just did my second run in them last night! So are you a "Luna Monkey" as well then!? lol!

Grendel - I think the cushioning is again down to form, for example, to achieve low impact running your foot has to realise it has made contact with the ground so it can feed the information back to the rest of your leg and body. With a thicker sole you have to drive your foot harder into the ground to get the contact information....

With that said, if you have worked on your form and got it down then thicker neutral shoes I guess would work providing they dont make you revert back to trying to pound your feet into the floor!

Just Run - well done on the 22 minutes, glad your on your way back!!! HOT thread?!?! Is that on the home page?

1,801 to 1,820 of 7,328 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.