Starting from scratch...

Beginner runner

21 to 40 of 158 messages
13/04/2013 at 17:55

Hope you get something sorted for refuelling, M.  Slow release carbs I guess!  Well done for doing your run when you didn't feel like it, there's a big mental element isn't there.

I did my first parkrun!  Was hoping for 32 minutes something based on what I can run 4km in, and got 30min 36sec.  Can't believe I can run that far!  Felt a bit daunted at the start with all the bright pink lycra around me doing stretches most professionally... and unsure what to wear as it was bright sunshine when I set out and fog at the venue! In the end I kept my fleece on then tied it round my waist, and fell in with a nice lady for a while but she got away from me in the last half mile or so, anyway as we ran past the finish area the second time she lobbed her fleece over so it was waiting for her afterwards - good idea!  It's silly little practicalities like that which get me fretting.

Would definitely recommend it - all very friendly and marshalls shouting "well done" as you trot past.  And Telford Park has roaring dinosaurs as a bonus which made me giggle!

14/04/2013 at 14:24

Will be ok...suspect that it may be sommat like nuts, raisins etc Got a variety of gels to try along the way!

Well done for the parkrun! I have a couple near me; Cardiff (track) and Newport which is more country/grass and may try both..variey and all that! Got some  new headphones as last ones falling out and these go round your ears so they dont fall off! Feeling a bit delicate today after mohitos and wine last night! Going to have a snooze this afternoon in the hope that Ill feel better and up for the start of week 2!

17/04/2013 at 10:03

I did week 5 day 2 this morning - and the next is a run of 20 minutes with no stopping!  GULP!!

What I don't quite 'get' is this: the escalation in week 5 is quite intense, from 5 minute sections on day one to 20 minutes all in on day three - and yet week 6 is the one that everyone dreads.  I don't quite see how the splits in week 6 are harder than going from run 8/walk 3/run 8 to run 20 minutes.

I'm finding the prospect of run 20 far harder to mentally achieve than run 10, walk, run 10...

17/04/2013 at 19:01

well done bookworm. Have yet to start week two as swam today, will run tom, Fri and poss Sat as wasnt feeling great earlier in the week....dodgy tummy which I suspect was after the weekend so seriously thinking about a wine ban for a while...

Well done re getting to week 5! Does sound like a big leap in time...as I havent done it/have no idea what Im doing not sure what to suggest other than maybe do what you can and if you need to repeat the week so that you feel more confident? Anyone got any good suggestions?!!

Have signed up for Park run and emailed them as not sure Im ready; am happy to do it in slow time but need to listen to iphone so to know when to walk and when to run and they discourage that...

How are others doing?

I tried a gel pack before my swim and it was ok so test 1 gel done!

Still reeling from the Boston Marathon as found it upsetting...probably because starting makes me realise what an amazing achievement it will be for people (especially those who were running their first) and cannot imagine, as a runner, having your legs blown off...

How you doing Morris and others this week? Am I the only one who needs to have a wine ban?!! Dont know if its excercising but now when I drink it really does make me feel rubbish...maybe to do with dehydration?

Have had by first sponsorship of my 1/2 marathon!! Very exciting!

17/04/2013 at 20:26

I don't drink much mainly because I am the only adult in the household.  Ideally not more than once a week do I have a small bottle of beer or a carton of wine.  A couple of months ago I was drinking more than that, I think increasing distance recently has lessened my appetite for the booze... once you get on that cycle of running more, drinking less, feeling better, being able to run more...

Took my colleague out for a 3km run but we had to walk up "killer hill" - she asked to stop but I'm not sure I would have made it even if she hadn't.  Will run Thurs evening I think and back to the park run on Sat.  I don't like running two days in a row!

My (very old) digital watch has a timer countdown on it, simple press button three times you get an alarm in five minutes, can you get something like this to time your running and walking at the park run?

18/04/2013 at 21:46

Mad Morris I dont know if its the lost sweat but found last week that wine made me feel rubbish...well done on "killer hill" sounds like where my office is but no way I could run it...hard enough walking up it!

Did most (but not all) of my day 1 wk 2 run today...hard going as was cold, tired and we left later than planned. Was going to run tom but think Ill do it on sat and maybe do the park run...not 100% decided as still worried that its a bit much so far on but have printed my barcode just in case!Will have a think re timings...could just wear a watch lol!! or read my nike + manual again!

Off to bed in a mo...pooped!

18/04/2013 at 21:58

Good luck when you get to do parkrun, I'm going to do it in a couple of weeks I think.

One thing for the iphone splits, you know it vibrates as well as gives you a vocal cue?

I discovered this when I had to put it in my bra as the pockets in the jacket I was wearing didn't have zips! So you could just put it next to your skin and run/walk when it vibrates! 

When I did week 2 I could never have seen that a few weeks later I'd be looking at running for 5 minutes, let alone the 8 I did yesterday or the 20 I'm supposed to do tomorrow...

18/04/2013 at 23:50
hello all, thinking about doing a park run soon, so is it headphones/music they discourage?
19/04/2013 at 08:14

From what I've read, yes, they discourage.  They don't say you can't, but they prefer it if you don't, because it's all about getting together with other people and enjoying the atmosphere...

19/04/2013 at 09:40

OHMYGOODNESS!  I only did it!

I jogged for 20 minutes without stoppin!.  And it wasn't so bad - I read a few threads for best tips and broke it down into 4-5 minutes chunks - basically told myself it would be 5 songs' worth!  And it was good, at no point did I think "I can't carry on", it was hard, as you'd expect, but it wasn't impossible!

I am chuffed to bits and very proud of myself!

19/04/2013 at 19:46

YAY GO BOOKY!!! Very proud of you! Genuinely chuffed for you as know what an achievement that is so well done you xx

Last night was not great for me; ear ache, boobs not sufficiently scaffolded, cold and just not great...today swam 14 lengths (Im upping it by 2 each time I go) and hoped that my aching knee would feel a but looser but didnt so tomorrow will be a rest day I think...will see.

Re the parkrun/headphones I asked and they discourage it as you cant hear marshalls etc plus it can be a bit unfriendly & part of the ethos of parkrun is community from what I can see.  For me creates a bit of an internal struggle as, like booky, find music is a great way to push through each song and distract myself from the running itself!!

I have a new wine strategy..I should clarify as sound like a right alcoholic but Im not-just cant eat sweets/chocs/take away etc due to my bypass so, with the exception of a nice bubble bath, there are few things that remain a "treat" so a wee dram is mine. Problem is that psychologically once Ive opened a bottle of wine I loathe leaving it so have got the mini bottles so can have a glass without that "well theres only a glass left...might as well!!"

19/04/2013 at 21:41

Thank you!  I am still slightly stunned that I did it.  I'm going to drag my bike out tomorrow and probably ride it over to the bike workshop for a tune-up, the gears were very clicky and not shifting cleanly last time I rode it.

Then I will walk home which is just over 1.5k.

Yes, the music distraction is great thing for me, I've been making a playlist of songs with good pace that I love - mainly disco! - and running without that will be odd to say the least!

Treats is a good point, I try not to do food-based rewards because I want to move away from investing food with an emotional weight...I am going to treat myself to new shoes when I've completed C25k, but until then treats are things like magazines.

I did just buy new earphones though!

20/04/2013 at 20:01

I did my second parkrun today!  Took the kids with me, they disappeared off to the playground and didn't watch me start, let alone finish... and just before the start I looked down and realised I had my everyday trainers on instead of my nice proper running shoes, so now I have a blister... but I beat last week's time!

Now to see whether I get another swarm of migraines like last week.  And WHY do I go so red in the face when I run?  My eldest kept remarking on it for ages afterwards, even though I get my breath back really quickly and legs feel fine, I look like I've been out in the sun too long!

20/04/2013 at 21:20

ywell done mad4morris ...inspirational!! xxx Didnt go for run or swim today but may next week depending on how i feel...will keep you posted

Re migraine I suffer from them and dehydration can play a part, esp with running as more lost fluids...as can certain foods, hormones etc...

Does it matter how we look when we run? That said, like you I feel self conscious & worry that I look a fat,  weeble, numpty but have been able to push through that to "who gives a ..."

In terms of people who may comment negatively my thinking is; while I may have a fat belly/big bum (remember Ive just lost 8 stone & there is definate hang/apron of skin...no matter how much I excercise) and Im taking positive action with each step to make me healthier...some may comment but another part of me thinks while they may look good outside they clearly arent happy inside to have to be so nasty...so end up feeling sorry for them...maybe its just me?

Am v excited as just booked first holiday for years...our own villa in turkey with own pool etc...last week August & cant wait!

22/04/2013 at 13:25

I know I am still massively overweight and I look it but I haven't heard any negative comments though I daresay people are thinking them as I lumber past!

If I did hear remarks I would probably ignore them and then spend the rest of my run thinking up all the barbed replies I should have made!  And internally insulting their intelligence and sexual prowess!

22/04/2013 at 20:43

I'm not so bothered how I look as such, just that I look like I've been really struggling because I go so red.  So my colleague who somehow manages to get dressed much quicker than me skips back into the office before me looking fresh as a daisy and then everyone expresses concern that I'm about to keel over when I come in, and for half the rest of the afternoon. 

Couldn't go for a run today, had a biopsy done at the breast clinic and was advised not to.  Couldn't go last night - knew after a few paces that the blister was going to hurt too much.  MUST go tomorrow!

If I see  a very overweight person out running I just think jolly good for them.  Anyone who passes derogatory comments is a lowlife and deserves to tread in dog poo.

22/04/2013 at 20:45

Just back from catch up run..did one last night & this eve so officially shattered but pleased Ive caught up with myself from the missed one last week!

Gradually feeling less self concious but its going to take time and simple fact for me is that I care less and less what people think..got a couple of smiles as I went round the lake but the peope here dont always nod; although one guy said "its hard work isnt it!" & smiled as we passed each other!

Now on week 3 of c25k...felt it in my lungs today but it was a slight uphill slope in parts!

How did you feel after Parkrun morris?

23/04/2013 at 06:54

Well done for "catching up"! I'm terrible for letting it slide.  I feel fine after parkrun.  It's how I keep going, by telling myself "you'll be fine afterwards, you know you will, just keep going!" maybe I should therefore push a bit harder but there's plenty of time!

23/04/2013 at 16:36

umm...music gets me through but will have to suss how to get my music done so I miss the ones I dont like; am a bit crappy on itunes as very new and dont want to pay for more!! Rest day today...woke at 5am with sore knees but think yesterday was my longest run. Am going to stay with best mate who is doing the 1/2 marathon with me so we will go for our first run (ever!!) which will be interesting! Plus some shopping time too!

24/04/2013 at 11:03

It's music that helps me too!  After today (w6, d2) from now on it's constant runs with no walking breaks at all and I tell myself it will be x number of songs which gets me round.  I did my best distance this morning and towards the end of my 2nd run stage I even sped up a little!

My legs were tired this morning and to be honest I was a teeny tiny bit hungover after going out to the theatre last night, but I did it and I'm glad I did!

Mad4, I always end up scarlet in the face, but I take it as evidence of how hard I'm working!  

And my breathing is improving a lot, I read a thing last week that said the heart is really effective at getting stronger very quickly and it seems to be the case with me, my heart is working alright but it isn't thumping like it's about to burst out of my chest and I'm not gasping for every breath anymore, it's my legs that are feeling it but there's more of them and they take longer to get stronger...

21 to 40 of 158 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.