Starting Running

4 messages
19/08/2005 at 18:35
I am wanting to start running next week. It's been a few years since I've done proper running.

I have put on a lot of weight and have got a bit of a belly. I was wondering running maybe twice or 3 times a week.

Also, what is the best way to build up my fitness? Shall I do 10-15 minutes at comfortable pace and then rest for about 5 minutes and start again. Advice appreciated?

Thanks
19/08/2005 at 18:43
Hi Danny, well done on deciding to take up running again. Have you got a good pair of trainers sorted? You might need more cushioning than before if you've put on a bit of weight since you last ran. Best advice I can give is not to do too much too soon nor to get disheartened if you've lost more fitness than you expected. Have you thought about looking at the beginners training schedules (under grey training tab above), you could try your first run at an easy pace and see how long you can manage then pick up a schedule at the appropriate place. Good luck.
19/08/2005 at 18:45
I'll have a look. I have a pair of Adidas ClimaCool. They are ok. I do have flat feet though.
19/08/2005 at 19:17
Proper shoes are crucial, they only last 500-1000 miles so you might need to fork out for some new ones.

Run at talking pace (Could you hold a conversation in whole sentences ?) so you might find 15 mins a bit much to start with. Remember to give your body time to adapt to the new demands on it.

Start slow, get slower; walk if you have to (no shame in that)
Sod everyone else and enjoy yourself

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.