Starting to run!

Need to lose some weight...

6 messages
04/08/2007 at 16:06
I've decided it is time to lose some weight so I am taking up running.

I've got the ipod nano, will very soon have the nike+ sensor & marware armband, next week I'm buying my Brooks Beast trainers and then I'll be set!

I finish my uni term at the end of next week and I have 5 weeks off so I intend to get lots of running and mountain biking in over that time!

Basically, looking for tips or links to tips for starting out, I've heard about the run 1 min walk 1 min technique that works well for beginners.

Looking for tips on stretching (I used to do Martial Arts a few years ago so I remember most of the stretching stuff), warming up, avoiding injury etc.

Also looking for advice on how much/little I should be running to start with, is it just a case of as much as I can manage?

I'm not that fit (well, I can do 22 miles rough terrain round Wales but it is slow going and I'm usually done in most of the time) so need to ease into running, I used to run in the gym but I seriously hated that.

I'm aiming for early morning runs, partly because it's the best time of the day, not too warm, not busy etc but also I don't really fancy running when there are lots of people out and about until I get a bit fitter (and a lot slimmer).

Think that's enough for now!

Thanks!
05/08/2007 at 17:22
Hi Rodney,

Welcome to the forum.

Don't think people were being rude and ignoring you yesterday - sometimes it's a bit quiet at the weekend and threads get missed.

If you click on the "Big beginners index" on the left you'll find some run/walk schedules that start you off from scratch.

Before you start do make sure you get your shoes from a proper running shop and have them properly fitted.

Good luck and let us know how you get on
:-)

SP
05/08/2007 at 19:20
:)

Changed my name to what it should be.

One of the other helpful members of this group suggested Sutton Runner as a good local shop, went in last week and they suggested that Brooks The Beast trainers would suit me best as my feet need some support.

Going back to get them soon!
05/08/2007 at 19:47
Don't do too much too soo, especially as you have knee issues
05/08/2007 at 20:55
hi rodney!

i found that the key thing to remember when i started running back in april was to forget about pace and instead focus on building up how long you can run for, even if this means slowing down and running very slowly. by increasing the time that you can run, you will find that as time goes by, you will naturally get faster anyway due to increased fitness. and like SP said, it is so important to get the proper shoes - would have saved me alot of aggro at the beginning if i had done this!

good luck with it and most importantly, enjoy it!! keep us posted on your progress!
07/08/2007 at 09:36
Start of slow and if you find your breathing gets too laboured then slow down even more. Keeping going to the end of the scheduled run is more important than how fast you go. Speed will come with time and as you get fitter.

Combining running and losing weight - don't get suckered into the thinking that just because you are exercising you need lots of carbs. This is true of people that are trianing for marathons, do high milage or are aiming to win races, but for a beginner you don't need to change your diet at all. Just try and eat sensibly and time your meals to suit your runs.

I strongly recommend following a plan. This will give you some structure to work to, so that you know how much you should be progressing and how quickly. Rest days are just as important as running days, as these allow you muscles to recover, so don't be tempted to miss them! The worst thing you can do is try and start off too quickly, puch yourself too hard and then get an injury that undoes all the good work. A plan will stop this from happening, until you learn how to listen to your body and devise your own plans.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.