Stitch issues

several questions

2 messages
16/06/2012 at 20:02
Today's questions for the forum Is there a way of avoiding stitches whilst running? Is it better to run before eating or afterwards, or even on an empty stomach? Should I cut out caffeine, sugar, alcohol or all of the above? I'm starting a 13 week half marathon plan on Tuesday preparing for the Bacchus Half marathon on September 9th and want to do as well as I can
16/06/2012 at 20:21
I can only tell you what I've read and what works for me. If you are going to eat then do so a least 2-3 hours before a run. I try to eat extra healthier the day of a run too. Most of the time I am running just before meal time so I come in, stretch, shower and eat. Stitches aren't as bad as they used to be now my core strength is building. When I get one I slow my pace a little, put some pressure on the point of the stitch with my finger tips until it eases up. I also read a technique about changing your breathing pattern. Try to breath in each time on the same foot and out on the other foot. If you get a stitch then switch the breathing in to the other foot and out to the first foot. It does seem to help me and the stitch subsides in about a minute or so.
Edited: 16/06/2012 at 20:23

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.