Stitches - HELP!!!!!

2 messages
04/11/2002 at 08:59
Hi everyone

Just looking for some advice about how to deal with stitches and how to prevent them if possible!

I have built up to running for half an hour, covering about 2.8 miles in the time, but the last two runs I have done I have developed a really bad stitch after about 20 mins. The stitch yesterday was really bad and I couldn't get rid of it (tried walking, stretching, rubbing sore bit, stiffening diaphragm muscles - everything I could think of!) so I had to abandon the run.

This is driving me nuts because I feel fine in my legs and lungs and could go on further if it wasn't for the stitches.

Any help/tips very gratefully received.

Cheers

Tortoise
04/11/2002 at 09:36
Hi Tortoise - don't know if this will work for you (but it does for me): try starting your breathing in and out as your left foot strikes the ground. This is a method recommeded in Bob Glover's Runner's Handbook (which is brilliant)...can't remember the logic behind it, but it works for me everytime.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
2 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.