Stitches and how to drop them!

21 to 27 of 27 messages
23/02/2011 at 14:26
In line with the core body workouts suggested above, today on the treadmill (5km, uphill program, 10.2 km/hr) I got a stitch and started to make a concerted effort to lift my knees, therefore using / twisting my abdomen, and I must say that that combined with breathing out of the left of the mouth (whilst trying not to spit on my neighbour!) seemed to relieve the pain the best. The stitch didn't go away but the pain was lessened slightly.
15/06/2011 at 08:53

i'm pretty convinced that most stitch trouble is caused by either dehydration or weakness in core and abdominal muscles. Therefore the best way to reduce instances of stitch is:

a) ensure adequate hydration. Don't do this by downing pints of water just prior to a run however - this is likely to exacerbate a stitch problem. It's good to drink water in small quantities continually throughout the day.

b) general core and abdominal muscle strengthening. A mixture of crunches, good quality press ups. Suspension training is also really good for core work.

01/09/2011 at 16:00
I've been running regularly since February and have never suffered with stitch until today. Today it was enough to slow me to a walk. I was running the 10 k route that the Tameside 10 k race is going to be on Sunday. The first time I have been out that way and it was different from my normal runs as it has a long hill climb and then a long downward run. The stitch came in the 10th km just after the downward bit. I wonder if it was anything to do with me not being used to running hills? I will try out some of the suggestions on here, but am worried about doing this race and having the embarrassment of having to walk if the stitch comes back!
22/03/2013 at 08:26
I've been running for about 6 months now and used to get stitches in the early days. But since getting fitter and increasing my endurance Ive been getting them less frequently. I always watch what I eat before a run and try to focus on exhaling on my left foot strike. However, recently as I've been trying to increase my speed,(interval and tempo runs), I've been getting stitches again. How can I improve my speed without getting crippling stitches?!
22/03/2013 at 12:35

I used to suffer with them horribly as a kid, doing cross country etc.

Recently, before hitting the streets I've worked on my general fitness in the gym, and after getting that base to work with, I haven't had a single one since I started putting in the miles.

31/03/2013 at 07:18
I'm not really a runner, but I usually get stitches when I bounce up and down too much. I have gotten stitches while riding in a car going over some rough terrain and bouncing around a lot. Usually if I run at an even stride and reduce my bouncing I don't get stitches. Just my experience, for what it's worth.
31/03/2013 at 09:50

lmfao!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 27 of 27 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.