Stroud Half 2011 = First Half Ever!

Frightened Much!!

21 to 34 of 34 messages
20/10/2011 at 14:15
Well Carly the lads of Whitminster want me to play first half ........ not sure what to do
23/10/2011 at 13:40
Carley, ifky how was it?

Brum was good and maybe i shouldnt have played football yesterday legs got a little tired near the end well about 8 miles lol
23/10/2011 at 15:42
Very good race, thanks. I got carried away at the start and did a few fast miles which affected my finish badly but even so I managed a respectable 2:06 - nearly 10 minutes faster than my best training run.

Would've been a little quicker if I hadn't stopped for a pee at 2.5 miles but the queue for the bogs at the start was horrendous.

Lovely course, nice crowd, mostly sensible drivers on the roads.

I heard someone collapsed and died though which is a terrible thing to hear. I hope it's just a bad rumour .
23/10/2011 at 16:04
Well done ifky i had the toilet stop thing too but on the brum one they had them set around the course but still used the wall.

Lets hope that rumour is not true
23/10/2011 at 17:24

Hi Guys... well done both!! I managed 2:22 not the best I know but for a first half I am pleased...although not too happy about the inconsiderate arse who tripped me about mile 8 but didn't help me up...still I managed the last 5 with a tender hip! I think if that hadn't slowed me down I would have been in under 2:20...oh well there's always next year! And I am pleased to say I did not have to pee in a bush!

I heard that someone collapsed and another was having CPR but hopefully no one died...maybe people are getting confused with last months Bristol HM??

I did appreiate the drummers on the industrial estate as well as the guys handing out jelly babies and support...especially the kids who had set up their own water/jelly baby station at about mile 12...cute

23/10/2011 at 18:54
Well done carley
23/10/2011 at 19:32
well done Carley. 2:20's a good time - plenty of experienced runners behind you including my wife at 2:30 (and she's done marathons).
24/10/2011 at 08:13

Well done Mrs IKFY!! I am happy with my time, I think it's just because I fell that I'm wondering what I could have done if I hadn't never mind there's always next year! And I like 2:22 - it's got a nice ring to it

24/10/2011 at 08:48
Well done to all 3 of you

I might do it next year we will see
24/10/2011 at 20:49
Carley, ifky what are your plans for your next run?

Any news on the rumours of the collapsed runner?
25/10/2011 at 08:02

I'm doing the Ashton Court 10K in Bristol with a friend next month as it is her first race and I'm doing the Weston xmas cracker with quite a few of the ladies from running club and that's it for this year..hopefully a couple more HMs next year but not sure which ones yet. You?

I haven't heard anything about the collapsed runner..according to my family who were waiting patiently at the finish line a number of runners came in that weren't looking good and had to have a lie down...I've checked the local news but nothing on there so hopefully just a rumour!

25/10/2011 at 11:46
I don't know what's next.

Now I've seen the pictures from the day though I've realised I'm not lifting my legs high enough so I'm sure I can get much faster times if I work on that a bit. So maybe a few months of speed training and then go for a 10K or half marathon in the early new year.

ref, the collapsed runner. I've heard that the guy finished the race and collapsed with a heart attack. Quite a young guy by all accounts. He's in the Glos Royal and in a bad way.
25/10/2011 at 12:04

Oh crikey that's awful! My Mum said she saw a young guy being put into an ambulance but I didn't think about that... that's 2 quite local HMs (is Bristol local?) where quite young runners have had heart attacks...frightening!!

I'm going to attempt this race again next year and aim for a better time with a specific plan..the one I followed for this was just a 'get round' plan which I managed so it served it's purpose...hopefully I will remain on my feet the whole time next year which I'm sure will help with the time!

Hope the runner in GRH is on the mend soon!

25/10/2011 at 19:59
Hope the guy is ok spoke to someone at work today in tipton and he said when he crossed the line there was a young chap recieving cpr .. lets hope he recovers

I may do the glos marathon next but i need to prepare properly and train, but i also fancy a few more hm distances and a few more muddy wet runs, brum was my second half the first i did in 2.13 as a tester bur brum i did in 1.32 so i would lile to see if i can get better if i train and cut down on the football

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.