Stuck in a rut

Need to up distance but unsure best way to achieve this

4 messages
28/07/2014 at 07:56

Hi I am loking for some advice.

I began running 5 months ago with a C25K app which I manged to complete in May and I am currently running 4 miles in about 36-37 mins. I get out 3 nights per week. I want to increase my distance so I can do 10k regularly but seem stuck at the 4 mile distance and am unsure how to increase distance. Should I increase length of all runs or just 1 per week and stick at 4 miles for the other 2.  What would be a normal timeframe to achieve a 10k distance.  Help needed..

28/07/2014 at 08:08

You only want to do one long run each week.  A long run builds endurance, but too many of them will just wear you down.  Having a bit of speed on your shorter runs will give you 'gears'.  So if you run 10 minute miles normally, but run at 9s on a shorter one, going back to 10s will feel easier.

You could try inching up your long run, tiny bits at a time.  Start by sticking at 4 until it feels comfortable, then ratchet it up by 1/4 mile at a time.  Don't increase your distance until the new long run feels ok.  You can change the increase to a tenth of a mile, or more if you prefer.  

Unless you have a 10K in the near future, I would go for a gradual increase.  Less likely to get injured that way.

28/07/2014 at 13:13

Thanks guys for responses. I guess I will try and increase distance for one of my runs and take it from there.

Haven't set any deadlines for reaching the 10K - think I need to prove to myself I can complete the distance before enteringa race.  Just a lack of confidence I guess.  Taking up a new activity at 40 has been a bit daunting but I definately feel a lot better about it all. Cheers

28/07/2014 at 13:33

Just add a km to the long run and up it every two or three weeks, then maybe once a month stretch one of the other runs out by a km or two and occasionally throw in a hard fast run on one of your shorter runs. 

Just add a bit of variety  

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.