Suitable first half marathon?

7 messages
08/10/2009 at 13:20

Hi - I have only been running about 3 months but have made good progress and now run approx 25k per week and planning to build up.

Have a 10k race lined up for November but would like to do a half marathon in spring - would prefer off road and spotted the Trionium Leith Hill in March http://www.trionium.com/leithhillhalf/

Would like to know if this is too hard for a first half - I'm used to walking hills and willing to put in the hill training - what do you think, should I do a flat road one first?

08/10/2009 at 17:15
I did Blackpool Half Marathon last year as my first half in 10 years. It's pretty much totally flat and 2 laps. It's not overcrowded and I really enjoyed it, think I'm going to try it again this year.
09/10/2009 at 16:42
I don't know the Trionium Leith Hill HM, but I do think you have plenty of time to build yourself up to a reasonably hilly HM. I've only been running since Feb and am about to complete my first HM, which I've been training in anger for for the last 3-4 months. I live in a pretty undulating area and can quite happily run a hilly 13 miles now. Just go for it!!!
09/10/2009 at 17:02

Thanks for the replies.

ploddinglady - Blackpool is unfortunately a bit far for me -used to go out drinking there years ago when I lived in lancaster.

Lostkat - thanks for the encouragement, think I should be up to 13 miles in the next couple of months, its the hills that scare me!! Like the cat in your profile pic by the way.

09/10/2009 at 18:47

Thanks,she's mine. Sadly she's not as angelic as she looks

Start working hills into your shorter runs and then your longer ones. In a few months you'll wonder what all the fuss was about as you cross the line of your first HM

13/10/2009 at 16:55
Gribbo... I did Rivington Saab Salomon for my first half at the end of September, everyone said I was crazy to do it, but I loved every minute of it and the terrain and the hills (some of them OMG) made the 13 miles just fly by. Il be doing it again this year!!!!
13/10/2009 at 17:02

I say go for it, the challenge of a hard run is what makes you feel so great afterwards.  You have plenty of time to train for it.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.