Support, Advice and Inspiration .. Come join us ...

INSPIRE, a beginners 'virtual' runners club. Read Page1 please

201 to 220 of 82,752 messages
eM.milou    pirate
18/07/2006 at 16:15
oth - i mailed you my race but is it easier just to mention on here? i have some photo's too but no idea how to get them too you!!
18/07/2006 at 16:16
Thank you OTH!!- does everyone else run in this heat or am I being a wimp- may leave it till after eight pm?
18/07/2006 at 16:17
i ran at 9.30 last night - too hot until then! Not a wimp just sensible Mathilda - Go For It!
18/07/2006 at 16:25
I tend to go out around 9:30 or 9:45 pm too. Uaually for about 40 mins at the moment. Usually cooled down a bit, but I wouldnt want to go any later as I like to be in the light in our neighbourhood if at all possible.

I would love to be able to go out at 6am, but I do freelance work till the early hours of the morning sometimes, so its not really an option.
eM.milou    pirate
18/07/2006 at 16:27
matilda - i intended to do my normal 7 miler for a monday but after opening the front door quickly decided to make it shorter! Ended up doing 4 miles but then went a bit mad and went for a speed session!!
Although it's hot once you get going you can get into a rythm and maybe catch the odd breeze I've heard may be knocking about?!
eM.milou    pirate
18/07/2006 at 16:28
although have to say it's hotter today and have opted for a rest day - then again am teaching a body pump class at 6 :0(
18/07/2006 at 16:31
Is the centre where you teach air conditioned, Emmilou? I dont envy you if not!
18/07/2006 at 16:31
Cheers guys,
I tend to go in the evenings for about 40 mins as its only me I need to go at a decent time cos I got to take me boy with me and much later than 8 is either unreasonable bedtime or involves babysitters and I could possibly do 6am but not grumpy morning boy could!!
18/07/2006 at 16:33
Welcome to Emmilou, qwerty and Matilda!

I find if I choose somewhere with trees or some high hedges, after 7.30pm seems to be okay for me. Used to go in the morning but I think I run better in the evening, low blood pressure and blood sugar is worst for me very early in the day.
18/07/2006 at 16:33
I have trouble just sitting down in the heat, never mind running. Early morning running is great - no-one around except the mad dog lady (the dog's mad, not her. Lovely chocolate labrador but one day I think it will probably floor me), some startled rabbits and hot-looking sheep. Lots of peace and quiet before the madness of getting the children up for school etc and at this time of day not so many insects to inhale.
18/07/2006 at 16:34
Emma, I would like to move into fell running too. Being fit enough to tackle The Yorkshireman Half is light years away for me, but do you know of any category C Short races in the Yorkshire area that would be good for the beginner?
eM.milou    pirate
18/07/2006 at 16:34
It is supposed to be Stu but never works nor does the microphone making it harder as I have to shout my head off for the whole hour - not good!

Matilda - put some roller skates on and get junior to pull you along - get the breeze then!!

I bought a pair of skates for my 33rd birthday - think i was having a mid life crisis early!! Good fun though but for some reason the neighbours look at me in a strange way!
18/07/2006 at 16:35
Oops I mean the sheep look over-heated 'cos of their fleeces - not "hot"!!!
18/07/2006 at 16:36
Qwerty, I was wondering that!!!
eM.milou    pirate
18/07/2006 at 16:37
stu - check out fellrunner.org.uk or trailrunning.co.uk. the trails may be better to start with as not so many navigation skills required and all done on relatively good paths/tracks. The fitness will come - it's downhilling that's harder to master but the fitness is needed to go up!
eM.milou    pirate
18/07/2006 at 16:39
stu - am also reading a bbok at the moment called feet in the clouds by richard askwith - it will either inspire you or scare you to death!!! great read though!
S'okay qwerty, I keep sheep and I knew what you meant!
matilda thinks qwerty might be a sheep worrier
18/07/2006 at 16:44
Bloomin eck, take an afternoon off the forum and miss 7 pages !!

Welcome to the new folk !!
Happy Chap - it was the Edinburgh marathon last month mate.

Allie - I'll be wearing the MAW shirt, but a cap will do if i can get one !

Any way, really hot here in Peterhead, going for a run tonight about 8.
Hope everyone has a good run or any crosstraining tonight.
take care ,

Fred.
18/07/2006 at 16:46
Emma, I have seen reviews of that book. Might just buy it.

Have read a few how-to books as well. Quite like the navigation aspect, as I am fairly good with a map and compass, if I may say so. Used to go orienteering with scouts when younger, and the appeal hasnt worn off.
201 to 220 of 82,752 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.